'20 MS OT Dylan Spencer

Do you believe he would be a good player to take?

Not sure what the staff priorities are, but I have a hard time seeing us take another OL unless he's a sure fire 5 star difference maker. Personally, I'd go for Beckwith, Wideman and the other WR from SC. I can never remember that one's name. We need playmakers.

Should we have a scholarship or two in our pockets, I'd focus on the transfer portal. Call me nuts, but we could really use an edge rusher, maybe another corner and if my suspicions come to pass and we lose both Maurer and Shrout to transfers, we could use another QB.

Not sure what the staff priorities are, but I have a hard time seeing us take another OL unless he's a sure fire 5 star difference maker. Personally, I'd go for Beckwith, Wideman and the other WR from SC. I can never remember that one's name. We need playmakers.

Should we have a scholarship or two in our pockets, I'd focus on the transfer portal. Call me nuts, but we could really use an edge rusher, maybe another corner and if my suspicions come to pass and we lose both Maurer and Shrout to transfers, we could use another QB.

Agree. Obv the staff knows what their doing but imo if we wanted another OL why wouldn’t we have just kept Kyree Miller?

I say don’t reach. If you got spots to carry forward - carry them forward or sign a grad transfer or two.

Agree. Obv the staff knows what their doing but imo if we wanted another OL why wouldn’t we have just kept Kyree Miller?

I say don’t reach. If you got spots to carry forward - carry them forward or sign a grad transfer or two.
Agree. I still believe we need another edge rusher. I wouldnt mind taking a grad transfer for the d-line.

I really hope we're past the point of reaching on recruits going forward. Suspect we are. Still, if the staff likes him well enough to sign yet another OL, I won't complain.

The OL we took in this class are all interior linemen. Think the staff is looking for a true tackle prospect. But hopefully they don't feel the need to reach for one. Would rather load up on OTs next year than reach on one this year.

Taking two top tackles last year gives us the luxury of taking a developmental tackle this cycle. Let him RS, and hopefully he doesn’t have to play until RS sophomore year at earliest. If the coaches see potential, take him.

6 guys covering an entire decade though. Out of tens of thousands.

Fwiw, the odds for a 2* to get into the NFL has been shown to be about 1%...

That said he's effectively a 3* at that rating...his odds should be slightly higher.
We are not the NFL and every player we sign won’t be a starter at UT. That don’t mean they can’t contribute and help the team.

6 guys covering an entire decade though. Out of tens of thousands.

Fwiw, the odds for a 2* to get into the NFL has been shown to be about 1%...

That said he's effectively a 3* at that rating...his odds should be slightly higher.
I would be interested in what percentage of the 2* players who go to P5 schools go to the NFL. I know it's still going to be low but it has to be higher than 1%. If a P5 schools offers a 2* they normally see something in them. Also most 2* don't go to schools with resources to help them get to the NFL.

It didn’t come as a surprise that the Vols decided to extend an offer to Southern Miss offensive line commitment Dylan Spencer of Madison (Miss.) Central High School during his official visit to Tennessee over the weekend. But now that the Vols officially have decided to pursue him, sources said they are believed to be legitimate contenders for the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Spencer, a potential tackle who also could play across the offensive line. Spencer has been committed to Southern Miss for nearly six months, but the door remains open for a Power Five program to steal him away from the Golden Eagles.

Kansas is set to host him on an official visit this weekend, with Missouri also scheduled to host him next weekend. Mississippi State recently offered Spencer, too, but the in-state Bulldogs currently aren’t guaranteed to get him back on campus. Sources said Missouri might be a darkhorse contender to watch, with Spencer having known new Tigers offensive line coach Marcus Johnson since his previous stint at Mississippi State. But the Vols impressed Spencer — who’s a former teammate of Tennessee freshman quarterback Jimmy Holiday — during his official visit to Knoxville, and there’s at least a realistic scenario in which he could be part of the Vols’ class.

- Callahan

VN Store

Back