My Journey to Alaska and back....again (and other Army/life adventures)

Have you got enough to live on, save for retirement, fund kids’ college (if that’s one of your goals), donate to worthy causes (ditto)? If so, time beats money any day in my book. Richest man in the graveyard, etc.
Having sma6kids like you, I'd opt for the better hours and vacation. That said, gotta consider the financial side of it all. Tough spot, but I pray you make the best decision for you and your family.
I have VA disability and retirement. Obviously money is still important, but not the most important. Kids have my GI bill as well (18 months each).

I’m really leaning towards the bank job. My ONLY concern, I don’t know how well I’ll like an “office“ job.

I can make money, I can’t make time.

I have VA disability and retirement. Obviously money is still important, but not the most important. Kids have my GI bill as well (18 months each).

I’m really leaning towards the bank job. My ONLY concern, I don’t know how well I’ll like an “office“ job.
Do you know anyone at the bank job? Specifically any former military? It can be a real transition to move to a desk job, if that wasn’t your role in the service.

I saw this link (from a non-Chase org): JPMorgan Chase & Co. Did your recruiter mention anything about their veteran mentoring etc options?
JPMorgan Chase & Co.
…We have a dedicated military recruiting team that has helped hire more than 10,000 veterans since 2011. And we have designed training, mentoring and other programs to help bridge the transition from the military to corporate culture. Our goal is your long-term success.

Do you know anyone at the bank job? Specifically any former military? It can be a real transition to move to a desk job, if that wasn’t your role in the service.

I saw this link (from a non-Chase org): JPMorgan Chase & Co. Did your recruiter mention anything about their veteran mentoring etc options?
No and no. I don’t think most military go into banking 😂. I can’t think of a single one period.

I’m in an odd position. I‘ve somewhat had a desk job as a car salesman and finance manager the last 3 years (which coincided with my last 3 years in the Army). Except in car sales, I don’t stay at the desk (I won’t do finance again lol. More so the BS I had to deal with that the “office” part). So that transition may not be too bad.

I guess it’s more about change, which was the same as when I was looking for a second job.

Last edited:
No and no. I don’t think most military go into banking 😂. I can’t think of a single one period.

I’m in an odd position. I‘ve somewhat had a desk job as a car salesman and finance manager the last 3 years (which conisided with my last 3 years in the Army). Except in car sales, I don’t stay at the desk (I won’t do finance again lol. More so the BS I had to deal with that the “office” part). So that transition may not be too bad.

I guess it’s more about change, which was the same as when I was looking for a second job.
Another thing to consider is upward movement/mobility and stability with each job. I honestly believe, whichever you choose, you'll be good at.

Good luck, Brother!

Another thing to consider is upward movement/mobility and stability with each job. I honestly believe, whichever you choose, you'll be good at.

Good luck, Brother!
Not too worried about upward mobility (no desire to be in charge of folks anymore or have more responsibility). Either industry will be stable, people always need cars and money so it's really a wash there (though in a true recession, the bank job would be better).

Reactions: malinoisvol
Not too worried about upward mobility (no desire to be in charge of folks anymore or have more responsibility). Either industry will be stable, people always need cars and money so it's really a wash there (though in a true recession, the bank job would be better).
I feel ya on the supervisory thingy. I loved supervising my folks and having a hand on the "steering wheel" when I was active. However, when I retired, no more. I'm enjoying being a peon.

Do I stay in the car industry? Great money, s****y hours. I've done it, I know I'm good at it.

Chase Bank has offered me a position. Decent money. WAAAAAY better hours. Way more vacation, plus time off. My only concern, is that it's an "office" job, I don't know how I'll adapt lol.

You can always go back to the car business.

You enjoying post military life so far?

Are there DoD civilian jobs you’d be interested in, or do you want to steer clear of the military now?
I’m so glad to be done. I was basically a civilian the last 3 years though.

I have ZERO interest in DoD or anything slightly related to the military.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back