Navigating In Vol Navy

Cherokee Orange

Always Just Jonzin'
Hey Everybody,

I'm taking my boat up to the FL game and going to tie up in the Vol Navy close to Calhouns for the first time. If I arrive real early on Friday morning, is that soon enough to avoid most of the docking stress. Really appreciate any advice you guys may have. Thanks!

Reactions: 5 people
Cool!
Can't answer your question but I bet that would be an awesome experience!
Safe voyaging and ENJOY! GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
I have no info on the subject but I would love nothing more than to ride in and join the Vol navy before a game! Good luck me hardy!

Hey Everybody,

I'm taking my boat up to the FL game and going to tie up in the Vol Navy close to Calhouns for the first time. If I arrive real early on Friday morning, is that soon enough to avoid most of the docking stress. Really appreciate any advice you guys may have. Thanks!

So you looking for some folks to tailgate on your boat with ya?

Reactions: 2 people
Beware of TWRA, when you are leaving they can come aboard without cause. They have more power, less rules to follow than any police department.

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks to everyone for the great advice and here's hoping for a Big Win Against Them Gators. Mot important game on the schedule, in my opinion!

Is that dock first come first serve, or is there a docking fee? Since I am not a boat person, I have never looked into it. Since it is July, you have time to make inquiries.

EDIT: Found a site. Just in case you haven't seen it yet.

VOL Navy Protocol | VOL Navy Boaters Association

Also has a contact us link, so you can get info from those in the know.

Last edited:
Is that dock first come first serve, or is there a docking fee? Since I am not a boat person, I have never looked into it. Since it is July, you have time to make inquiries.

EDIT: Found a site. Just in case you haven't seen it yet.

VOL Navy Protocol | VOL Navy Boaters Association

Also has a contact us link, so you can get info from those in the know.

That's amazing! I'll have to add that to my bucket list.

Back in the 80's the ex father in law kept his house boat on Ft Loudon and we would motor up and tie off for all of the home games (most of them anyway and all of the big ones for sure). I was attending UT too at the time. To be sure it was a great party. Sail up Thursday or Friday. Tie off on arrival. A family member would bring a car and park in case we needed one during the weekend. Literally party all weekend. Crawl to the game mostly still hammered a lot of the time. Crawl back to the boat after the game. Party rest of the night. Sail back down Sunday with a huge hangover drinking Bloody Mary's all the way down.

You need 5 extra vol fans to have fun with?! Going to the Florida game with my family and spending part of our honeymoon to be at this game. Was looking at renting a house boat, but everything is booked. Hoping to try it out sometime in my lifetime.

Some suggestions:
IF that's you boat in your avi, bring enough fenders for both sides n plenty of them. There will likely be some BIG boats tied up next to you.
The boats all tie up to each other and stack up sorta like dominos. You'll want to position yourself so people can walk across the back of you boat or swim platform. Trying to make "overserved" Vol fans walk across your platform is risky. You may b helping fish them out of the water :) I've seen it happen more than once.
Bring a rug or heavy duty towels to cover your floor n seats as people cross going to other boats. Fans don't always wear "boat shoes". And, yes the will walk on your seats.
Don't be in a hurry to leave. If there are 10 boats tied out beyond you they aren't going to be eager to accommodate you by re-arranging and re-tying up. It can be a cluster F*** when boats start leaving.
Bring a hand held spotlight to help navigate in case you leave after dark.
A DD is a good idea. The rabbit sheriff is out there and U will get a BUI which is just like a DUI. $$$ and loss of TN drivers license for a year.
Most of ALL - Have Funn. Being part of the Vol Navy is some of the most fun I've ever had - with my clothes on :)
Also drown any Gators you may encounter on the TN River.

Never BUI in that area as you will get busted.

But to say the TWRA shouldn't be trifled with is funny. In 2011 I got a Sea Ray 24' Sundeck and decided to go to the Cinci-UT game. Put in at my folks down river about 30minutes and got up to the dock on Saturday morning. Dock was packed and I pulled up to this houseboat and asked to tie off to them. Guys were super accommodating and said yes and then invited me aboard to drink with them. I am telling you, these guys could drink some JD...power drinkers and had some really good eats as well. Low and behold as we are getting a nice buzz this one guy pulls out his badge/gun and starts lightly messing with me. Turns out it was a TWRA houseboat and I am here to tell you those guys were great and super hospitable. They said they would absolutely bust my ass if I drove off after the game but I had a DD with me and I navigated home which can be tricky at night. Best day of Dooley during his whole tenure.

That should be plenty early. We've arrived Friday evening the last two Florida games with no problems.

Ideally the boats are docked by size. Larger ones on the dock and they fan out from there.

Depending on the size of your boat you may want to let a few bigger ones tie to the dock first.

Don't plan on leaving Saturday if you have a ton of boats tied up to you.

You'll have a great time!!!

VN Store

Back