'24 NC DL Amaris Williams (Auburn))

Guys will be asked to leave. AP has stayed multiple times the staff is gonna hit the portal for OL. Possibly 3-5 guys.
I know guys will be asked to leave. But that would require a TON to leave. We’re looking at only having 83 scholarships next year. If all that happens, we’re well over 100. Asking 20 + guys to leave is pretty drastic. Further, I don’t think there are 20 guys you WANT to leave. We still have to develop for the future.

And I know what AP had said about getting 4-5 portal OL. I’ve mentioned it myself. But I think that claim assumes that some or all of Campbell, Spraggins, Mays, and Mincey leave, which is not what that dream scenario entails. Why would you bring in 4 portal OLinenen when you return your entire starting OLine (Karic starts when healthy)? And why would 3-5 portal guys want to go to a team returning its starting 5?

Probably doesn’t matter because that scenario is highly unlikely, but if it does manifest, Im guessing the staff changes that plan to take 3-5 portal OL. There’s just no need. And the scholarships have already been taken.

I know guys will be asked to leave. But that would require a TON to leave. We’re looking at only having 83 scholarships next year. If all that happens, we’re well over 100. Asking 20 + guys to leave is pretty drastic. Further, I don’t think there are 20 guys you WANT to leave. We still have to develop for the future.

And I know what AP had said about getting 4-5 portal OL. I’ve mentioned it myself. But I think that claim assumes that some or all of Campbell, Spraggins, Mays, and Mincey leave, which is not what that dream scenario entails. Why would you bring in 4 portal OLinenen when you return your entire starting OLine (Karic starts when healthy)? And why would 3-5 portal guys want to go to a team returning its starting 5?

Probably doesn’t matter because that scenario is highly unlikely, but if it does manifest, Im guessing the staff changes that plan to take 3-5 portal OL. There’s just no need. And the scholarships have already been taken.
💯 agree with this…I believe strongly the statement from VQ about 3-5 portal OLs is based on their belief that we lose most if not all of our current starting OL…if most of them come back then I think the portal OL haul will drop to 1-2 at most…

We REALLY need 2-3 of Campbell, Mays, Spraggins, Mincey to come back IMO…I don’t think replacing all of them with four transfers will work that well at all…it’s a shame that it’s even a possibility that it plays out that way…and it’s not the fault of the 22 and 23 OL classes as so many people want to point to…those guys aren’t the types of OL recruits that are supposed to be ready in year one or two…the fault lies in the 21 class…we have ZERO OL from 21 on the roster and it’s got us on the brink of a disaster next year should all four of the starters I mentioned chose to leave

💯 agree with this…I believe strongly the statement from VQ about 3-5 portal OLs is based on their belief that we lose most if not all of our current starting OL…if most of them come back then I think the portal OL haul will drop to 1-2 at most…

We REALLY need 2-3 of Campbell, Mays, Spraggins, Mincey to come back IMO…I don’t think replacing all of them with four transfers will work that well at all…it’s a shame that it’s even a possibility that it plays out that way…and it’s not the fault of the 22 and 23 OL classes as so many people want to point to…those guys aren’t the types of OL recruits that are supposed to be ready in year one or two…the fault lies in the 21 class…we have ZERO OL from 21 on the roster and it’s got us on the brink of a disaster next year should all four of the starters I mentioned chose to leave
There is also the possibility that some of the younger guys develop. Glen Elarbee spoke glowingly of the young guys at a recent Knoxville QB club appearance. He specifically mentioned by name: Addison Nichols, Brian Grant, Maasai Reddick, and Vysen Lang. I’ve also heard that they’re high on Sham Umarov.

There is also the possibility that some of the younger guys develop. Glen Elarbee spoke glowingly of the young guys at a recent Knoxville QB club appearance. He specifically mentioned by name: Addison Nichols, Brian Grant, Maasai Reddick, and Vysen Lang. I’ve also heard that they’re high on Sham Umarov.
That'd be (almost ) as awesome as FIVE PORTALS! 😲

What about the kid from Knox catholic? Can’t remember his name. Is a freshman this year. Anything on him

That'd be (almost ) as awesome as FIVE PORTALS! 😲

Imagine this…an OL in 2024 full of seniors with a handful of developmental players in their 2nd and 3rd years as backups…then in 2025 said 2nd and 3rd year backups become 3rd and 4th year starters/backups…there’s also 1-3 highly talented 2nd year players (i.e. Warren, Anderson, Seaton🤞) sprinkled in as starters or backups…

What a “novel” idea…actually, it sounds exactly like what we had in the Fulmer days

Imagine this…an OL in 2024 full of seniors with a handful of developmental players in their 2nd and 3rd years as backups…then in 2025 said 2nd and 3rd year backups become 3rd and 4th year starters/backups…there’s also 1-3 highly talented 2nd year players (i.e. Warren, Anderson, Seaton🤞) sprinkled in as starters or backups…

What a “novel” idea…actually, it sounds exactly like what we had in the Fulmer days
Which dated back to his tenure as OL coach under Majors in the late 80’s. I remember the 87 class in particular getting downplayed for it’s lack of blue ribbon (forerunner of star rankings) skill players, but they loaded up on Mays, Lenoir types using their high school connections and scouting. Carried over until Fulmer began trusting services more and traditional talent analysis less.

Guys will be asked to leave. AP has stayed multiple times the staff is gonna hit the portal for OL. Possibly 3-5 guys.
So many unanswered questions, I'm not sure how VQ even begins to know that as "fact". Who stays, who goes, and will there even be 3-5 OL in the portal that we want? And even if we want them, will we get them? I think VQ may have overstepped with that prognostication.

So many unanswered questions, I'm not sure how VQ even begins to know that as "fact". Who stays, who goes, and will there even be 3-5 OL in the portal that we want? And even if we want them, will we get them? I think VQ may have overstepped with that prognostication.
VQ probably twisted the words a round a lot, id bet someone just told them that their goal was 3-5 OL but VQ took that and twisted it into that

Reactions: bigdan and Glitch

They gone, brother. Except maybe Mincey

Two other defensive linemen Tennessee continues to keep tabs on are Amaris Williams and JuCo prospect Jamal Wallace. At one point, they were both planning to visit later in the month. We expect both of those official visits to now happen in December. Williams will see Ohio State before the end of the month, and the Buckeyes have remained a team to watch for the Florida commitment.
-VQ

Amaris Williams is at Ohio State tonight for their game on an unofficial visit. He was there (3) weeks ago on an OV for the Penn State game.

When asked on the mailbag podcast the other day, Austin Price took the over when asked if 1.5 of Campbell, Mays, and Spraggins comes back. Mincey is considered likely back (he’d be retiring from football if he leaves).
that'd be great, but i'm not holding my breath. if they all come back, however, Dylan Sampson may win the Heisman.

Call Dion for advice. 20’s a drop in the bucket for him

We will get a portion of our starting OL to stay. But we graduate backups like Crawford, Lane, Lampley, and Davis. So we don’t want ALL of them to leave at once. Some of the portal gets can be to simply upgrade your bench. We have a lot of unknowns from the past 2 recruiting cycles. This might be the key to next years team.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back