NCAA aims for less contact in preseason football practice.

Whip out the flags.

81Y8zdrsU6L._AC_UL320_.jpg
I agree. I’ve been jokingly saying that for a few years now.

Offenses will be scoring even more points, as tackling gets worse and worse.

I agree but that wouldn’t be the worst thing ever. The game is evolving, I wouldn’t mind seeing National champ games that consist of both teams scoring in the 40’s, sounds like fun IMO.

Less practice=more injuries, that is fact. Time for the power schools to tell the NCAA we aren't letting you dictate to us anymore. GBO!!!!!
It is strictly a dollars and cents deal. The big 5 are contented with what they are getting from the NCAA. Would they get More on their own? No way to tell. I think with the big boys a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush

Report from the Associated Press this morning. My apologies if this has been posted before. I’m not sure how to link the article. Maybe someone can provide this.

Just the start of contact football being completely eliminated in a few years IMO.

Just another example of the WUSSIFICATION of America. Next we will be watching flag "football" in the stadium (if they will let us in).

Shockingly... this is being exaggerated.

The number of full contact practices is going from 21 to 18. Also eliminates Oklahoma drills, limits contact practices to 1:15 and has guidelines for load management during preseason. It shouldn’t be all that big of a deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...898d02-aebb-11eb-82c1-896aca955bb9_story.html
Less contact drills including tackling. That is a big deal and will change the game as others here have noted here the last day or so.

All of this is stupid but especially the bolded. The way you learn how to take a hit is to get hit. There's no other way. At game speed, they're asking for MORE injuries.

FWIW... they really just need to step back and deal with the size of the players. They could establish height/weight limits and accomplish the injury reduction they want and probably have a more exciting game. Football has always been a tough and painful sport... but the injuries have gotten much worse since player weights started increasing. The 1985 NC Oklahoma team had 4 players 285 lbs or heavier. It wasn't uncommon to see OL's weighing 250-260.
I think this is why we have more head, tendon and joint injuries. They are pushed beyond their limits with the speed+size+strength combination of some players. I wish someone could just engineer more effective protection from players. Not sure how much space age stuff is on the horizon for padding and helmets. I don't know if there is a solution to the real problems here.

My own son is 12. He is slow ( we are both flat footed). He would just be a pinata for faster and stronger kids who are elite. So he is on the golf and baseball teams only. I don't want his knees to feel like mine.

All of this is stupid but especially the bolded. The way you learn how to take a hit is to get hit. There's no other way. At game speed, they're asking for MORE injuries.

FWIW... they really just need to step back and deal with the size of the players. They could establish height/weight limits and accomplish the injury reduction they want and probably have a more exciting game. Football has always been a tough and painful sport... but the injuries have gotten much worse since player weights started increasing. The 1985 NC Oklahoma team had 4 players 285 lbs or heavier. It wasn't uncommon to see OL's weighing 250-260.

I'd love to see a weight limit and if they were serious about making the game safer that is the direction they would go.

I think this is why we have more head, tendon and joint injuries. They are pushed beyond their limits with the speed+size+strength combination of some players. I wish someone could just engineer more effective protection from players. Not sure how much space age stuff is on the horizon for padding and helmets. I don't know if there is a solution to the real problems here.

My own son is 12. He is slow ( we are both flat footed). He would just be a pinata for faster and stronger kids who are elite. So he is on the golf and baseball teams only. I don't want his knees to feel like mine.
If I understand correctly you can't do much about joints or tendons other than stretch and strengthen the muscles around them. But even that is negated by size and weight.

The mechanics of what happens to your head can be mitigated but not prevented.

Reactions: SpookyAction
When there's hard data showing that half of the head injuries are coming from preseason practice, there's clearly something that needs to be changed.

Remove the face masks and/or go back to leather helmets.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
When there's hard data showing that half of the head injuries are coming from preseason practice, there's clearly something that needs to be changed.
Football has always been a physical game and there will be a certain percentage of athletes who will experience trauma. Either eliminate the physical part of the game completely or upgrade the headgear if possible and change nothing else.

Lots of ignorance in this thread rn. This is all about preventing further CTE dmg, it's not a slow transition to flag football. Some of yall need to read the literature and get up to date with the times.

Football has always been a physical game and there will be a certain percentage of athletes who will experience trauma. Either eliminate the physical part of the game completely or upgrade the headgear if possible and change nothing else.
The technology isn't there to eliminate micro concussions at the rate players are currently experiencing it. Whether you like it or not, limiting contact in practices in the best course of action. I'm sure similar procedures will be followed soon by other sports, including soccer (limiting headers), hockey and rugby.

The technology isn't there to eliminate micro concussions at the rate players are currently experiencing it. Whether you like it or not, limiting contact in practices in the best course of action. I'm sure similar procedures will be followed soon by other sports, including soccer (limiting headers), hockey and rugby.

No, you are wrong. The best course of action is to reduce head contact and if they got rid of face masks or even went back to leather helmets it would cure the problem. Personally I’d like to see football college and professional, put in weight limits. If player safety and game integrity were important to the people that control the game they would limit the size of the players.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Next they'll want to go to flag football. Crazy it will only lead to more injuries during the season.

they stll play flag football???
played it in 6th grade and hated it. my dad blew out knee playing football in his teens

Paper was from this morning. The source stated is the Associated Press. The point is the options being considered , not how old the reported information is or which reputable news source is reporting it.

Some Highlights:

NCAA Oversight Comittee recommended changes.

1-Fewer padded practices
2-Elimination of Old School collision drills.
3-At least 9 of 25 preseason practices with helmets but no pads.
4-Todd Lyons WVU athletic Director is head of the committee. Final recommendation should be presented at May 19th Division 1 council meeting. If passed the model would go into effect this year.
5-A 5 year study found 48.5 % of all reported concussions occurred during August preseason.

So instead of August the new study will find 48.5% of concussions will happen the 1st 2 weeks of the season........ Why delay the inevitable? It's a contact sport, there will be injuries. I liked football better back in the day when they actually let us play ball. Pussification of football!! We're gonna be playing flag football before ya know and everybody wins and gets trophies!!! Smdh........😡🤬

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I'd tell em to suck it butter cup, it's the chance ya take to play the game. They know the risk goin in! Take all this modern day monitoring crap off of em put em in pads, line em up and let's play smash mouth football!!! The way it's been done for years and the way it was intended to be played!!

Reactions: Tnphil
Then you will have more injuries in the regular season if contact practices are limited in the fall or the game becomes a track meet because players will not be conditioned in making tackles. We may see a team score 100 points in a single game.

VN Store

Back