NCAA Issue & Impact on Basketball

vol9799

To my understanding the basketball tournament is the NCAA's only major revenue generator at this point with the conferences and teams pretty much having seized control of the other revenue streams. Given what's happening with NIL, there's no way the P5, or specifically the SEC & BIG, are gonna leave that in the NCAA's hands. So, is college basketball's post season about to change fundamentally or does the tournament become the property of a group of governing bodies rather than just the NCAA?

To my understanding the basketball tournament is the NCAA's only major revenue generator at this point with the conferences and teams pretty much having seized control of the other revenue streams. Given what's happening with NIL, there's no way the P5, or specifically the SEC & BIG, are gonna leave that in the NCAA's hands. So, is college basketball's post season about to change fundamentally or does the tournament become the property of a group of governing bodies rather than just the NCAA?
Or just let the NIT take it back over like it was for the first 50yrs

Up until about 1969-1970. At that time it was AS prestigious. UCLA's emergence and NCAA participation was the catalyst for the NCAA to be THE end of season tournament

I think that it was around the early 1950s that the NCAAT started passing the NIT in prestige. It wasn’t until the mid 70s or so that not just conference champions were invited to the NCAAT. One per conference.

UT tied KY for the SEC championship in 1972. The NCAAT invited KY and snubbed UT. The UT players voted to turn down the NIT’s invitation.

I say we start the SEC invitational tournament and invite 64 or 72 or 126 schools to play in our tournament, problem solved.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think that it was around the early 1950s that the NCAAT started passing the NIT in prestige. It wasn’t until the mid 70s or so that not just conference champions were invited to the NCAAT. One per conference.

UT tied KY for the SEC championship in 1972. The NCAAT invited KY and snubbed UT. The UT players voted to turn down the NIT’s invitation.
It really wasn't a case of UT getting snubbed. UT lost both games to Kentucky and therefore Kentucky went to the NCAA because the tiebreaker favored Kentucky. UT should have never refused the NIT that season. That was a mistake, imho.

It really wasn't a case of UT getting snubbed. UT lost both games to Kentucky and therefore Kentucky went to the NCAA because the tiebreaker favored Kentucky. UT should have never refused the NIT that season. That was a mistake, imho.

Okay. “Passed over”. I don’t know if the NCAAT had a formal tie-breaking system or just invited whoever they would rather have. But that KY team had a couple of really bad losses. Including one to the worst team in the conference. 4-14 Florida.

I know Marquette turned down a NCAA invite in favor of the NIT around 69-70

The KISS rule applies here. The sport is fine and as strong as ever. Just remove the NCAA altogether and form another group to oversee things. More money for the schools and players. It's not like college sports will cease to exist if the NCAA is burning in a pit of hell. Sports were better before that clown show was formed. They'll be better after it's gone.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
The Saudis would gladly step up with the funds to create a better post season tournament. Maybe even channel most of the revenue back to the players.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Okay. “Passed over”. I don’t know if the NCAAT had a formal tie-breaking system or just invited whoever they would rather have. But that KY team had a couple of really bad losses. Including one to the worst team in the conference. 4-14 Florida.
Kentucky went to the NCAA tournament that season because the NCAA tiebreaker for a split SEC championship between two teams was head-to-head record.

You already said that. Do you have a link to the 1972 NCAAT tie breaking system?
From the Wikipedia article on UT Kentucky basketball rivalry: "One particularly notable game was the 1972 match-up at Tennessee. Kentucky had won the previous game by two points, but Ray Mears' Tennessee team surprised the league by achieving the best record to that point. If Tennessee won, they would be sole SEC champions and receive the conference's bid for the NCAA tournament; however, a Kentucky win meant a shared SEC title, with Kentucky receiving the tournament bid via tiebreaker.[7] Kentucky won the game 67–66 after a last minute missed Tennessee free throw, splitting the conference title and taking away Tennessee's hopes of a tournament bid."

From the Wikipedia article on UT Kentucky basketball rivalry: "One particularly notable game was the 1972 match-up at Tennessee. Kentucky had won the previous game by two points, but Ray Mears' Tennessee team surprised the league by achieving the best record to that point. If Tennessee won, they would be sole SEC champions and receive the conference's bid for the NCAA tournament; however, a Kentucky win meant a shared SEC title, with Kentucky receiving the tournament bid via tiebreaker.[7] Kentucky won the game 67–66 after a last minute missed Tennessee free throw, splitting the conference title and taking away Tennessee's hopes of a tournament bid."

That’s not really a link to the NCAAT’s criteria - just a statement on Wikipedia that KY had the tie breaker.

It was ridiculous that 8x independents took bids out of the 25 spots in 1972. And 11 lower level conference reps. The NCAAT didn't have it figured out back then. They didn’t even televise mist of the opening round games for about smith decade.

That’s not really a link to the NCAAT’s criteria - just a statement on Wikipedia that KY had the tie breaker.

It was ridiculous that 8x independents took bids out of the 25 spots in 1972. And 11 lower level conference reps. The NCAAT didn't have it figured out back then. They didn’t even televise mist of the opening round games for about smith decade.

Footnote 7 links to an article in the Dayton Beach Journal that was written the day of the game explaining what was at stake in the game and the tiebreaker scenario if Kentucky won the game.

Daydreaming about an image on late Monday night, April 8, after the trophy is in the hands of the Final Four champions...
1706984183321.png

Would be a nice event for the Saudi Sports Authority to assemble, play the entire post season tournament in Madison Square Garden, Las Vegas, pay each school an appearance fee for their participation, incentives for each round they qualify for, no need to stay at 60 something teams, invite the top 32 in the country, compress the whole thing into a two week window, sell the broadcast rights to anybody but CBS and the NCAA is essentially out of business . . . . for good

VN Store

Back