Next coach isn't coaching

the only way that you can talk to a coach a school during the season is you have to have permission from that school an the ncaa, now after the regular season is over then you still must get permission from the school but you can talk to any coach thru their agent

the only way that you can talk to a coach a school during the season is you have to have permission from that school an the ncaa, now after the regular season is over then you still must get permission from the school but you can talk to any coach thru their agent

WRONG you could to talk to any coach you wanted to, you just have to have the balls to do it.

Reactions: 1 person
Currie said that he would have a coach in place before signing day. Told recruits that. It can't be a coach already coaching because we can't talk to them. I'm thinking it's gonna be a big time coach!

Agents do the talking for their client, IE: the coach, silly

That’s why i think there’s a strong chance it could be someone like Les Miles.

Here’s my reasoning, Currie doesn’t go to Atlantis Basketball tourney if he hasn’t already got his guy or atleast has a gentleman’s agreement. He especially does this if his guy is not a current coach. I also think it could be Les because he hasn’t been doing game commentating for Fox in the last few weeks. That’s very odd.

I’d be down with Les with the right OC. Only way he gets another big job is if he overhauls his offensive philosophy.

Regardless, Currie has to be Uber overconfident that he has his guy if he has the balls to go to basketball tourney.

My obvious choice has been Mullen and hopefully news breaks on Friday or Saturday that we got him.

My biggest fear is that if news doesn’t break this weekend, we are still playing second fiddle to coaches.

But I’m willing to give Currie the benefit of the doubt. I’m hoping he truly stuns the fan base with a whopper of a Hire. We will literally know within the next 96 hours.

Les Miles...................

You don't get out much do you

Would be better than any Up and comer, WITH THE RIGHT OC. Like i clearly stated.

Make him hire a very talented OC and he would do fine.

I'm prepared to be very underwhelmed with Currie's choice to be head coach, he will probably do worse than Les Miles, unfortunately

OMG, I think you?re on to something. Something BIG and expensive just like Currie said. There?s only one candidate that meets the ?integrity and character? criteria with a winning record, past championships, great recruiter, and will give his all for TN. Any guesses?

Currie said that he would have a coach in place before signing day. Told recruits that. It can't be a coach already coaching because we can't talk to them. I'm thinking it's gonna be a big time coach!

UT can actually talk directly to someone currently coaching, with permission from the employer/AD. If such permission had been granted, by any school, it would have leaked by now... and the other schools fans would be going nuts. (Think Frost and all the Nebraska rumors...)

If Currie told recruits that they would know who the coach is, well in advance of the early signing period, then he at least had someone in mind that he was CERTAIN he could hire without a search firm, without dealing through back channels and all the associated "waiting" that entails... or waiting for a successful coach to finish the season/post season with his current team. (You could do that with an assistant... but not the head man.)

Everything is pointing to someone who is not currently coaching, as the OP stated to start this thread.

Gruden to the hill?

I hope your right

Can't interview coaches currently coaching yet. Perhaps you can network through an agent....

Tennessee will hire a coach whonis currently coaching and it may not happen until 2nd week of december. That is still before early signing. But who cares?

Tennessee needs to hire the right coach, not worry about early signing.

HIRE A GREAT COACH. THAT IS ALL.....

Hogwash. There'r plenty of good HCs out there now, pro and college.

Can't let Cade Mays beat us wearing grey (UGA) britches.

Would be better than any Up and comer, WITH THE RIGHT OC. Like i clearly stated.

Make him hire a very talented OC and he would do fine.

What makes you think he’d ever get “THE RIGHT OC”?? Never did his entire time at LSU. Plus, he’s older than David Cutcliffe who so many on here constantly say is way too old to take the job.

I admire Les for what he did at LSU, had a great run there, just don’t think he’d be a good hire/fit for our program.

You don’t have to get permission. An AD can approach a coach any time he wishes.

The coach has to get permission from the AD. Remember Boston College fired there head coach a couple of years ago because the AD told the coach he was not allowed to interview, but the coach interviewed anyway.

Do you just randomly make things up?

What makes you think he’d ever get “THE RIGHT OC”?? Never did his entire time at LSU. Plus, he’s older than David Cutcliffe who so many on here constantly say is way too old to take the job.

I admire Les for what he did at LSU, had a great run there, just don’t think he’d be a good hire/fit for our program.

Don't bother, Squib knows everything and has never been wrong, after all he's 20 something.

Can somebody clear this up for me too. I've seen people saying you cannot formally interview a coach until the regular season is over. Now I know you can deal through agents and back channels, but are you able to actually interview a coach who is still currently coaching? I know you can after regular season and that many coaches have left their team prior to bowl game. I would think we would not hire a guy until we formally interviewed him. That would narrow it down if the case.

Sorry if it's already been answered.

It's a gentlemen's agreement, not a rule.

I completely understand why people believe it's a rule because it's such common practice but it is not.
Universities frown on the practice because it's a perceived distraction, especially if players become aware. We don't want it done to us, same as others. So it's usually avoided.

However, if a school and the coach have already had talks of parting ways, then communication is encouraged.
1. For the coaches benefit (a thank you of sorts)
2. Many buyouts are reduced with a new income and the university benefits with a quick transition.

VN Store

Back