Next up: UAB

Falcons02

So, reading through the threads tonight, multiple times I have seen some variation of "UAB scares me." But, after looking over their schedule, and doing a little research... I can't figure out why.

Before I get started, yes I remember we lost to GA State. I don't have a simple or easy explanation for why that happened, but it almost feels like a different season. I think the team has turned the page and is rewriting the story of the 2019 season. It is painfully obvious, even to a layman like me, that this team is growing and maturing within the season in a way I didn't think possible a month ago.

UAB is 7-1, but I would be hard pressed to pick out a good win. Their best C-USA win so far (I think, anyway) is UTSA? It seems they haven't yet played the better conference teams. And while I again acknowledge GA State happened, I think the 7-1 is misleading. The QB is pretty good, they seem to have good size on the lines, and they seem to be very well coached. Actually, that might be the one thing I actually am worried about. They don't make a lot of mistakes and value the football in a way I wish we emulated.

However (unless something catastrophic happens like we lose all 3 qbs) I see this as being a game like tonight... won by 20, could have been 30+. Can someone point out something I am missing?

People really have short memories here.

A few weeks ago, half the board was saying we were going 1-11 and that Pruitt was the worst coach in Tennessee history because he lost to Georgia State. Now, we're going 8-5 and no one on the rest of the schedule stands a chance at beating us.

UAB is a very good team. We have more talent and we should beat them, but just like Georgia State, if we don't come prepared and 100% focused on them, we can lose the game. I hope the coaches and players are treating UAB just like they would an SEC opponent.

Before I get started, yes I remember we lost to GA State. I don't have a simple or easy explanation for why that happened, but it almost feels like a different season

I have a great explanation for why it happened. Because the coaches and the players didn't take Georgia State seriously and were looking ahead to BYU and Florida. There's a reason Nick Saban is one of the greatest of all-time; because he never buys into the "this game will be a cakewalk" crap regardless if Alabama if a 30 point favorite.

If we play like we did this week, sure we should beat UAB handily, but there are no freebies out there. Just look at Mizzou; a few weeks ago they looked like a top 10 team; now they got beat by Vandy and looked terrible versus Kentucky.

A few weeks ago, half the board was saying we were going 1-11 and that Pruitt was the worst coach in Tennessee history because he lost to Georgia State. Now, we're going 8-5 and no one on the rest of the schedule stands a chance at beating us.

UAB is a very good team. We have more talent and we should beat them, but just like Georgia State, if we don't come prepared and 100% focused on them, we can lose the game. I hope the coaches and players are treating UAB just like they would an SEC opponent.

I have a great explanation for why it happened. Because the coaches and the players didn't take Georgia State seriously and were looking ahead to BYU and Florida. There's a reason Nick Saban is one of the greatest of all-time; because he never buys into the "this game will be a cakewalk" crap regardless if Alabama if a 30 point favorite.

If we play like we did this week, sure we should beat UAB handily, but there are no freebies out there. Just look at Mizzou; a few weeks ago they looked like a top 10 team; now they got beat by Vandy and looked terrible versus Kentucky.

Too bad I have but one like to give. Spot on DG. GSU hopefully will be a lesson not soon forgotten by players and staff. One game at a time. Nothing else matters except getting healthy and beating UAB.

I felt like my post displayed an appropriate amount of perspective and appreciation for our team and UAB. I don't think UAB is bad, nor are we world-beaters. Your attempt at pigeonholing me as some creaky weather vane who changes as soon as the wind blows is not accurate.

I do think UAB is decent and well coached, but that the 7-1 can be misinterpreted. A well coached team with a good QB should always be concerning, but I do think they're roughly in the same area code as MS St and USCjr. I guess I was hoping my Vol brothers and sisters could explain why they have concerns about UAB outside of what I have already enumerated.

I felt like my post displayed an appropriate amount of perspective and appreciation for our team and UAB. I don't think UAB is bad, nor are we world-beaters. Your attempt at pigeonholing me as some creaky weather vane who changes as soon as the wind blows is not accurate.

I do think UAB is decent and well coached, but that the 7-1 can be misinterpreted. A well coached team with a good QB should always be concerning, but I do think they're roughly in the same area code as MS St and USCjr. I guess I was hoping my Vol brothers and sisters could explain why they have concerns about UAB outside of what I have already enumerated.

Well they have 2 weeks (open Date) to prepare. They are extremely well coached. G State spent better part of summer preparing while we were looking a head to BYU. We are a young team that is not deep. I've already seen a thread talking about taking a lot of Orange to the Kentucky game .
I've just watched to many games over the years and seen things happen.
Should we beat them yes.
Will we , is according to how focused the team can stay.

Reactions: Falcons02
I am glad UAB is a night game. Hopefully they will get super hyped having to wait all day, rather than sleepwalk through a noon kick. Bill Clark will have his team ready. I expect a 3 pt game at half.

Well they have 2 weeks (open Date) to prepare. They are extremely well coached. G State spent better part of summer preparing while we were looking a head to BYU. We are a young team that is not deep. I've already seen a thread talking about taking a lot of Orange to the Kentucky game .
I've just watched to many games over the years and seen things happen.
Should we beat them yes.
Will we , is according to how focused the team can stay.

I understand where you're coming from. I too have a mild case of BVS. I just truly think the team is has turned a corner in their season. UAB is fully capable of winning, but I see a team that (now) does not back down when challenged. They put on more steam.

I know people will immediately say I am trying to justify the Georgia State loss but I am not. I do think it's fair to point out that Georgia State is 6-2 this year. The point is that it's dumb to judge teams on the previous year's record. We overlooked a team that wasn't nearly as bad as their record from last year. It was a bad mistake that I doubt Pruitt will repeat.

UAB is really thin at a great many positions. Their best RB is out for the game apparently. Many UAB fans I have spoken with think they will lose this game even before yesterday occurred. They have sold a lot of tickets and will represent. Make no mistake, they are from Alabama but they hate the Tide as much as we do and are mostly good folks. People in T-town literally killed their program (Bryant Jr.) and they brought it back from the dead.

It will be interesting to hear about our injuries. Darrell Taylor has been playing phenomenal to the point of changing momentum in the games. His third down sacks and batted balls were a thing of beauty. He was on the sideline dancing and it looked like a small hyperextension so hold out hope. Get ready for a young guns 1-2 punch at QB as our crutch is gone for a while. O-line got pretty banged up as well. We need good news to continue to keep our season alive.

I know people will immediately say I am trying to justify the Georgia State loss but I am not. I do think it's fair to point out that Georgia State is 6-2 this year. The point is that it's dumb to judge teams on the previous year's record. We overlooked a team that wasn't nearly as bad as their record from last year. It was a bad mistake that I doubt Pruitt will repeat.
Bituli is REALLY important to this defense we have learned.

Big win Saturday night. I’m sure this team is growing, learning, building, and deserving better things in the future. They won’t overlook UAB. My concern is depth and injuries.
I worry about deep and injuries too. But some of the playing time that I thought was foolish earlier in the season, is paying dividends. Seems they’ve adopted to the next man up theory.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I think it’s also the lack of consistency. We looked great last night, good at Auburn last year, good against KY. But we also had the Missouri, Vandy, GaSt, and BYU games. This team overall is very young, until we see a string of games consistently put together, there will be a lot of unease.

UAB has a horridly weak schedule. Does it say something they haven't screwed up with that schedule?

Maybe

Their 6 wins have come over teams in the FBS that are 5-34 and 1 FCS opponent.

With our O line and D line seeing massive improvements, I expect us to roll over UAB by 20ish

Last edited:
We all know that we are the more talented team, I just hope to see us execute and play at the same level. Even though it’s UAB, it would be nice to see us continue to show progress, put this game away early, and rest the starters. We have been in this situation in the past and never seem to take the next step. I think if we can put away UAB decisively, we may be turning the corner.

Didn’t a UAB player talk trash before the season too?

I think losing to ULM had more effect on Saban's "no cakewalk" approach than one might realize. Maybe Ga State was our ULM.

So, reading through the threads tonight, multiple times I have seen some variation of "UAB scares me." But, after looking over their schedule, and doing a little research... I can't figure out why.

Before I get started, yes I remember we lost to GA State. I don't have a simple or easy explanation for why that happened, but it almost feels like a different season. I think the team has turned the page and is rewriting the story of the 2019 season. It is painfully obvious, even to a layman like me, that this team is growing and maturing within the season in a way I didn't think possible a month ago.

UAB is 7-1, but I would be hard pressed to pick out a good win. Their best C-USA win so far (I think, anyway) is UTSA? It seems they haven't yet played the better conference teams. And while I again acknowledge GA State happened, I think the 7-1 is misleading. The QB is pretty good, they seem to have good size on the lines, and they seem to be very well coached. Actually, that might be the one thing I actually am worried about. They don't make a lot of mistakes and value the football in a way I wish we emulated.

However (unless something catastrophic happens like we lose all 3 qbs) I see this as being a game like tonight... won by 20, could have been 30+. Can someone point out something I am missing?

That played out about as expected. UAB was sloppier with turnovers than expected but I would credit our defense with a lot of those mistakes. I really thought their QB was a bit better than what he showed tonight

VN Store

Back