Next year - new coach or not

Just one man's opinion but I think that barring a complete collapse, CDS will get a two year extension after this season. AD can justify by noting some improvement and a stable of promising young players.

Hart gave CDS a chance to turn the corner with a one-year extension last spring. He's still under .500 after six years. IDT squeaking into the SECT is enough for Currie to extend him-- the team'll need to make a run.

Just one man's opinion but I think that barring a complete collapse, CDS will get a two year extension after this season. AD can justify by noting some improvement and a stable of promising young players.

I do not get this constant theme I see of people talking up the potential this team has for next year.

Hitting: We are a light hitting team, as the SEC network announcers repeatedly pointed out last week. From that light hitting lineup, we lose Rodgers, Moberg, and possibly Santiago and Leftridge. That gives us 6 home runs coming back. Other than Luc Lipcius (high BA and OPB but no power) no other non-senior "below the dotted line" hitters on the stat sheet look ready to take on major roles in the offense. That means we'll probably start at least three freshmen or JUCO players, and we'll rely on them for almost all the power in our lineup.

Pitching: We return four players who threw more than 20 innings, of whom only one is an credible SEC weekend starter. Linginfelter may get there if he can stop giving up free passes (20 BB and 10 HBP in 49 innings). Beyond that we're hoping for a lot of players who are already sophomores or juniors to suddenly become better.

On both hitting and pitching, we have a lot of big holes that need to be filled by a recruiting class that is ranked about 12 in the conference.

We may have a stable of promising young players, but there are a lot of empty stalls in that stable.

I do not get this constant theme I see of people talking up the potential this team has for next year.

Hitting: We are a light hitting team, as the SEC network announcers repeatedly pointed out last week. From that light hitting lineup, we lose Rodgers, Moberg, and possibly Santiago and Leftridge. That gives us 6 home runs coming back. Other than Luc Lipcius (high BA and OPB but no power) no other non-senior "below the dotted line" hitters on the stat sheet look ready to take on major roles in the offense. That means we'll probably start at least three freshmen or JUCO players, and we'll rely on them for almost all the power in our lineup.

Pitching: We return four players who threw more than 20 innings, of whom only one is an credible SEC weekend starter. Linginfelter may get there if he can stop giving up free passes (20 BB and 10 HBP in 49 innings). Beyond that we're hoping for a lot of players who are already sophomores or juniors to suddenly become better.

On both hitting and pitching, we have a lot of big holes that need to be filled by a recruiting class that is ranked about 12 in the conference.

We may have a stable of promising young players, but there are a lot of empty stalls in that stable.

Stallings appears to be fine as an SEC starter. Linginfelter will be fine. I would say Alex Harper-Cook will contribute pretty heavily next year as long as his velocity returns.

Showme, no one is really arguing with you that Tennessee needs to do something. However, the current AD has only been at UT and Kansas State and it would be my guess that he has no real contacts in or knowledge of the NCAA Baseball world. Further, no real coach or rising young star in the baseball coaching world would come here unless UT promises to put more money and effort in to baseball.

Is that a reason to keep a failing coach. NO. But, you just know UT would screw up this hire........again.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back