Neyland re-sodding underway

and that speculation comes from where? You pulled it from where?????
You might want to read his post he fairly clearly said where that speculation came from. Even better it passes the logic test because that's pretty much how flora and fauna in general react.

A good analogy would be a fish tank. If you are constantly sprinkling in food the fish are going to tend to just hang out at the top because there is a steady stream of food. Why would they waste the extra energy it takes to swim down and search? But if you infrequently dump in a bunch of food they will come up and eat their fill and in the interval with no food they will swim down and grab the food that sank down.

Animals and plants do not expend energy they don't have to. All that being said, this is so obvious an answer, if its true I would be quite surprised and disgusted. Multiple people should be fired if this is the case.

Reactions: 7 people
Its always smart to yank turf up every year and not let it grow a solid root structure!..

said no one ever..

Well, except at UT..

Reactions: 2 people
Looks like they are taking out that huge hump in the corner of the south end zone. You know the one where that OU receiver was going to leap off to make that 4th down throw a reception.

Last edited:
My neighbor, who is a big-time booster, told me the mower's broke and the part is on backorder; muffler bearings went bad is what he said. Now when the grass gets too high they have to tear it out and put down shorter grass. Soon as the bearings come in everything will be good to go.

Reactions: 11 people
Okay so this might seem OCD but I have a huge problem with the white line going through the POWER T at midfield. It irks me every time I see it because I look around the country and no one else does it.

Reactions: 3 people
It depends on the condition of the field. An unhealthy or disease ridden turf would be in just as fragile a shape as a newly sodded field. Clearly the most ideal way to grow large areas of sports turf or on a golf course is by sprigging/plugging/seeding but there isn't near enough time for that at this point. Sodding is the only option as it stands. The high quality sod rolls they will be using can take some wear much more readily than the cheaper palletized sod that most home owners use. There are also methods of large stapling that can stabilize high traffic/sloped areas. It's all semantics at this point considering all the turf has been removed.

It depends on the condition of the field. An unhealthy or disease ridden turf would be in just as fragile a shape as a newly sodded field. Clearly the most ideal way to grow large areas of sports turf or on a golf course is by sprigging/plugging/seeding but there isn't near enough time for that at this point. Sodding is the only option as it stands. The high quality sod rolls they will be using can take some wear much more readily than the cheaper palletized sod that most home owners use. There are also methods of large stapling that can stabilize high traffic/sloped areas. It's all semantics at this point considering all the turf has been removed.

Idk the palletized sod seemed to hold up well for our annual family Easter flag football game. Been alot of talk about grass today. I'm hungry. Weird.

Reactions: 3 people
My neighbor, who is a big-time booster, told me the mower's broke and the part is on backorder; muffler bearings went bad is what he said. Now when the grass gets too high they have to tear it out and put down shorter grass. Soon as the bearings come in everything will be good to go.

This actually might be the best answer (except they just ripped it up, again) -- we could have just let last year's sod grow thru July, cut for hay first week of August and in a week or so would have a great stand of solid turf (possibly). Just put it on some kind of a hay schdule.

Reactions: 1 person
Okay so this might seem OCD but I have a huge problem with the white line going through the POWER T at midfield. It irks me every time I see it because I look around the country and no one else does it.

Quit looking atc we do it better.

i would just like to know who the guy is that said " hey, our turf was horrible this year and everyone made fun of us... it was new turf and the roots didn't have time to grow and strengthen.... hey, lets do it again!"....... "Approved, do it"..... W.T.F.!!!!!

i would just like to know who the guy is that said " hey, our turf was horrible this year and everyone made fun of us... it was new turf and the roots didn't have time to grow and strengthen.... hey, lets do it again!"....... "Approved, do it"..... W.T.F.!!!!!

What's up?

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 633
Any of you professional Sodologists know what TYPE of Sod the UTAD is placing down on top of that dirt pile?

Bentgrass
Kentucky Bluegrass
Rough Bluegrass
Red Fescue
Annual Ryegrass
Perennial Ryegrass
Centipede
Tall Fescue
Zoysiagrass

Some of these grasses have a shorter root base vs longer root base while other root systems are more horizontal than vertical. Some are more prone to perform better in full sun vs partial shade. Some do better in cooler weather than warmer weather and vice versa. It's not just sod being put down - it has a name and just wondering if any of you know the answer or can make an educated guess?

My guess is Tifway 419 or something very similar. It is pretty reliable in this transition zone.

VN Store

Back