Neyland Stadium South End Zone Renovations

Some of the renderings I've seen have definitely shown us losing seats in the lower bowl. Hopefully it's nothing more than speculation

The first several rows in the lower south endzone are slated for removal becuase the field is too close to the wall there. Pulling those seats out is to improve player safety.

Reactions: savannahfan
The first several rows in the lower south endzone are slated for removal becuase the field is too close to the wall there. Pulling those seats out is to improve player safety.
That definitely needs to happen. It's a death trap in the corners. Plus, those first few rows in the endzone are the worst view in the stadium unless the ball is inside the 20 coming at you.

It's certainly not ideal but nobody's been hurt badly from it that I can remember. I just hate anything that makes Neyland any less loud

People can't afford to come like they once did because it is too expensive for the working middle class. Now, they want to make things luxurious. Its blowing up right in their faces. They've taken the game and football out of the equation. It's about comfort, ritzy sky boxes, flashy things and raking in large amounts of money. It's not about the game and having as many people as you can jam in there to see it. Remember those 108,000 and 109,000 attendance games? That's what was fun. We can't afford the ridiculous prices now so they have to turn it into a circus or some kind of four star hotel accommodations. We can only look back, now, with the best of memories as to how enjoyable it was to attend a football game with the masses. The liberals have came along and ruined sports as we knew it and had held dear to our hearts and culture.
I don't think it has anything to do with the liberals or the conservatives. It is about greed, the thing which is the biggest political problem in these United States. I am afraid the States are not so united anymore. There is no middle road.

People can't afford to come like they once did because it is too expensive for the working middle class. Now, they want to make things luxurious. Its blowing up right in their faces. They've taken the game and football out of the equation. It's about comfort, ritzy sky boxes, flashy things and raking in large amounts of money. It's not about the game and having as many people as you can jam in there to see it. Remember those 108,000 and 109,000 attendance games? That's what was fun. We can't afford the ridiculous prices now so they have to turn it into a circus or some kind of four star hotel accommodations. We can only look back, now, with the best of memories as to how enjoyable it was to attend a football game with the masses. The liberals have came along and ruined sports as we knew it and had held dear to our hearts and culture.
I doubt there was a single game last year that you couldn't go to for $50 or less.

This is what we should do (minus the dressing room). It gets rid of the upper deck that we can’t sell tickets in, opens the stadium to the iconic view of the river and makes room for a new, larger size video board (move the old one to the north side).

I would rather address the trend in reduced attendance by keeping the renovations of the upper deck minimal in order to keep costs down and then lower the costs to buy tickets there. They could also expand the width of some of the seats there, making them more desirable while having less impact on overall capacity.

If you get rid of that upper deck you will also have to find new visitor seats in the remaining sections. Might need to relocate some season ticket holders for that.

Not to mention the negative long term impact of having many fewer families developing the game day traditions that help maintain the strong core of interest in the program.

Reactions: lukeneyland
Well the most recent plan has them putting field level club seats right below the student section so they might be doing just that

Neyland-reno-6.png
This is sickening to me. I hope to God we don't ruin the integrity of the stadium like this

I guess in business you have to change with the times. Sure, I love having such a big stadium, but people are simply staying home....regardless of who the team is. People are choosing to stay in the comforts of their homes or go to sports bars and hang out with friends. When making decisions like this, studies have been done, it's not someone making a decision off a whim.

Good point
Construction starts in under 6 months, there's no time for any significant changes.. The plans that were published a couple of years ago are essentially final. Plus any major changes would have to go back in front of the board of trustees and state building commission for reapproval further delaying the start.

It's certainly not ideal but nobody's been hurt badly from it that I can remember. I just hate anything that makes Neyland any less loud
They added padding down in the corners to help but the walls are currently way too close.

Taking out a few rows will not change the volume of the stadiunm. Probably will be offset by selling beer anyway.

If you haven’t noticed, visitor aren’t buying those seats anymore.

Only a fool would agree to buy seats in the worst seats in the stadium when you can buy much better seats from a third party. When was the last time you an SEC team sold out their allotment at an SEC stadium?

I would rather address the trend in reduced attendance by keeping the renovations of the upper deck minimal in order to keep costs down and then lower the costs to buy tickets there. They could also expand the width of some of the seats there, making them more desirable while having less impact on overall capacity.

If you get rid of that upper deck you will also have to find new visitor seats in the remaining sections. Might need to relocate some season ticket holders for that.

Not to mention the negative long term impact of having many fewer families developing the game day traditions that help maintain the strong core of interest in the program.

The problem is once you start any kind of work on the south upper deck, you will have to bring the entire section up to current code and ADA standards.

Fortunately, my seats in the south end zone that I've been buying for 30 plus years and will continue to buy will still be there. Want more ticket sales? Just win, baby.

I’ll continue to enjoy most games on my 70 inch HD screen at home. That’s the challenge most schools and pro franchises are faced with. They are doing anything possible to improve the fan experience. Can’t blame them really.

Ever since the Oilers moved to Tennessee our attendance has suffered. People who would regularly come to games from Nashville now have to decide between spending their money on The Vols or The Titans. Instead of knocking out a section of Neyland I’d rather see that team move out of state so we are the only show in the state.

This.
Our ticket office has stated this has been verified in their surveys.
That’s why I don’t root for the Nashville Titans.

Reactions: MAD
I've always hated the Titans for having the nerve to call themselves Tennessee
Me too.
I hate when I turn on the tv or radio and they are talking about “Tennessee football” and I soon realize it’s about the damn Nashville Titans. There is only ONE Tennessee football team and it resides in Knoxville.

Have you visited Sanford Stadium? It’s far from inferior. In fact it’s probably one of the nicest in the SEC (minus the sky high upper, upper deck they try to put visitors in)
I’ve been to every stadium in the SEC except for Missouri and Mississippi State and you are dead wrong. Give it up. Poor logic, fundamentally weak argument.

/thread

Reactions: Offset Eye
I don't think it has to be that low but let's be honest. It's a 100k capacity crammed into a 90k space.

Ditto. Last time I was there, it was in the older section where a ticket only gets you a space on a bench seat defined by two lines that were really only 3/4 a seat. The only thing that made it bearable was being a UT home game, and in that section no one ever really sat down.
Well, they couldn't all sit down at same time. not enough seat room.

I’ve been to every stadium in the SEC except for Missouri and Mississippi State and you are dead wrong. Give it up. Poor logic, fundamentally weak argument.

/thread

Neyland is pretty much overrated because of seating capacity, which isn’t a big deal anymore with so many powerhouse schools expanding capacity. Face it, we need an upgrade

Neyland is pretty much overrated because of seating capacity, which isn’t a big deal anymore with so many powerhouse schools expanding capacity. Face it, we need an upgrade
I’m not saying I disagree with that, but I HIGHLY disagree with the OP saying Sanford Stadium is one of the best in the SEC/country.

VN Store

Back