NHL outdoor game at Neyland

Unless something has changed, UT doesn't really have a hockey team. It is more of a hockey club. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the present players were on the team in 1991, the last time I saw them play.

I assume they play wherever the Ice Bears play. If that is still the coliseum, it isn't regulation size ice. But the ice chalet is suppose to be. To the best of my knowledge, that is the only two places they have played in Knoxville.

Man, that takes me back. I remember they would play at the Ice Chalet on Friday and Saturday nights at midnight and you could bring coolers of beer.

Reactions: 1 person
I personally detest outdoor hockey. The Winter Classic is a waste of time IMO. Would be good for the area to feed their recent appetite for hockey.

Hockey has been alive and well in Knoxville for a long time. I think the Cherokees were the first minor league in the late 80's. My kids started playing in 98 and continued until 2008. It's an awesome kids sport....fun to coach too!

Unless something has changed, UT doesn't really have a hockey team. It is more of a hockey club. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the present players were on the team in 1991, the last time I saw them play.

I assume they play wherever the Ice Bears play. If that is still the coliseum, it isn't regulation size ice. But the ice chalet is suppose to be. To the best of my knowledge, that is the only two places they have played in Knoxville.

They are a club team but are under the rules of the NCAA. Last I saw them was in 2011 or 2012 and they played at the coliseum.

Hockey has been alive and well in Knoxville for a long time. I think the Cherokees were the first minor league in the late 80's. My kids started playing in 98 and continued until 2008. It's an awesome kids sport....fun to coach too!

Alive? Yes. Well? Until they build a better venue, it's pretty much year by year.

Cherokees started up in 1988. There were players like Peter Buckridge, Greg Batters, Paul Laus who later played for the Florida Panthers, Dan Gaultier, Stan Drulia, Dean Anderson, & Tom Sasso.

I followed them closely until after the third year when I made a road game on regulation size ice. But you are wrong about the Cherokees being the first in Knoxville. The Knoxville Knights played from 1961 to 1968.

The folks at Nissan Stadium have only had the grass in decent shape for the past couple of years. I'd prefer that they not host an event that will likely tear it up again.

With Neyland's recent turf issues, I'd imagine the same thought process should apply.

A Preds game at Nissan would work and would be a screaming hot ticket, they'd just have to wait until after any potential football.

It wouldn't​ matter about the field, IIRC they put a new surface down every year after CMAs FanFest in June.

(I won't even address the asinine idea of an NHL game in Neyland).

Man, that takes me back. I remember they would play at the Ice Chalet on Friday and Saturday nights at midnight and you could bring coolers of beer.

Being able to get a decent view of the action stinks, but it's not like they are playing at NHL speed. But at the time you are talking about, it was the only game in town.

Been there, done that. Effing awesome. We pissed "whoever" off, one night and the next thing, I know, there was a puck flying by my face. Yes, we had a cooler of beer, too. If there was no game, we went half a mile down the road to the Terrace Tap House and watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show. U didn't need a cooler there, because they sold beer, but we tried to sneak it in anyway

Reactions: 1 person

There was an EHL team in the early 60's. They went away sometime in the late 60's or early 70's while Uncle Sam had me following the Viet Cong.

As popular as the Preds are right now, I'm not sure they could fill Neyland. Just a different sports demographic compared to the northern events.

Preds would be much better off playing in the Titans' place.

Whenever the Preds play in Nashville, it will be at the "Stone".

Alive? Yes. Well? Until they build a better venue, it's pretty much year by year.

Cherokees started up in 1988. There were players like Peter Buckridge, Greg Batters, Paul Laus who later played for the Florida Panthers, Dan Gaultier, Stan Drulia, Dean Anderson, & Tom Sasso.

I followed them closely until after the third year when I made a road game on regulation size ice. But you are wrong about the Cherokees being the first in Knoxville. The Knoxville Knights played from 1961 to 1968.

Awesome! Those were the guys I was trying to dredge out of memory!

Oh heck, why not just keep it in Nashville, everyone knows what a nice stadium candyland has...:birgits_giggle:

vanderbilt-university-football-2008-season-gameday-at-vanderbilt-stadium-van-f-2008-00046lg.jpg

You mean the place they beat us last year? Brilliant making fun of a school that just beat you. Top of the line you are...

I think women's outdoor beach volleyball would be nice. Bring in a little sand, then after it's over spread it around for soil treatment.

Awesome! Those were the guys I was trying to dredge out of memory!

I remember the saddest day of 1988. It was the day we learned Knoxville had traded Rick Lambert and the team captain (whose name still escapes me) to Erie. Both were really great guys, 2 of the best skill players in the league, and treated each booster club member as a personal friend. Seeing the Erie players we got from the trade in red and white the day after the trade but our 2 guys in Erie black was weird. If you meet boosters from back then, they might still be upset with that transaction.

VN Store

Back