Nine programs that won a national title but never will again

This whole list is stupid and short-sighted. Tennessee is the most absurd entry on it, since we routinely recruit inside the top 10, and have more resources than any other team in the country. But even beyond that, the college football landscape is constantly evolving and teams that were superpowers in one decade, become duds in another, and vice-verse.

Maryland has access to some of the best talent in the nation. They are bankrolled by Under Armour. Do I think they'll become a superpower soon? No. But over the next 50 years, there's no reason they couldn't win a national title at some point if they find the right coach.

If this list were written 13 years ago, the author would've put Alabama on it, but not Tennessee. If this list were written in 1999, the author would've put Georgia on it. College football is very cyclical.

I absolutely agree with that, though there are long-term trends that certainly would seem to bear out "as far as the eye can see."

For instance: the service academies. Power houses in the 30s, 40s, and 50s (Navy up to the 60s, thanks to a fella named Roger Staubach), I doubt either of them will ever compete for a national championship again, at least not unless the U.S. swings back from Athens toward Sparta in national temperament.

For instance: Yale and Princeton. The most dominant teams in the nation in football's early years, they've been overcome by a century+ of evolution of our national landscape.

For instance (to give a more speculative example): Notre Dame. A juggernaut as long as Catholic churches and schools nationwide were making them one of the top picks for good high school football players, the decline of religion in communities across much of the country (particularly those parts where Catholicism is strongest, the "blue states") is making this once proud national contender just another mid-western college.

So yeah, absolutely, teams like Tennessee and Alabama, Michigan State and Maryland, they come and go, and come back again. But there are some teams this writer could've put on the list that would've made a lot more sense.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
These articles are writen to include the most amount of potential readers and mentioning tennessee will get alot of readers.

Saying we are in the same conference as uga and uf and play alabama every year is incredibly narrow sited. Its fun people act like alabama has never been bad and will never be bad again. Same goes with the other two. Every team has ups and downs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee will and Mich St might.

Of course you could add Georgia that list as well, since they always choke.

Funny none of the Ivy league schools aren't on the list. They dominated the sport in the early going.

People can't get one season to the next right with winners, much less somebody saying X school will never win another title is absurd. Pure Blowhard crap. GBO!!!!!

Article is BS - every single one of those teams except BYU can win a natty again for the simple reason they are in a playoff conference. Get the right coach, recruit well, capture lightning in a bottle and you might just pull it off. The existence of the list itself proves almost anyone can win it under the right circumstances.

Sports reporters who have never been relevant, are not now relevant, and will never be relevant: Matt Hladik!

Reactions: 1 person
This is FAKE NEWS....clickbait journalism worse than anything you'll see on CNN.

The article cites that the Vols play Georgia, Florida and Alabama yearly. Implying that Alabama wasn't a dumpster fire from the time that Stallings left to the time that Saban was hired. Not to mention that historically the Vols have had the better of UGA, and Florida is historically a nouveu riche SEC program, and even then they're not in that much of a better position than Tennessee is. Never is a long long time, and this is just a clickbait article published because trolling college fanbases is a proven way to generate those pageviews.

We should really start using the archive.is site to feature articles that don't deserve the clicks.

It was also idiotic of the author to cite UGA and FL as obstacles to the Vols winning a title too.

Of course UT has to beat them but they both just went through their own coaching changes.

Since 1992, Tennessee has beaten Florida and Georgia in the same season 4 times.

It’s a problem.

That said, Tennessee is capable of winning at the highest level

Last edited:
Just a generally stupid article. Just 5 years ago, Michigan State went 13-1, and would have made the playoffs if the playoffs had existed at that time. Michigan State has had four 11+ win seasons under Dantonio. Good enough to get into the playoffs in the current setup, if performing at that level. Once in the playoffs, anything can happen. Tennessee has the ability to win championships, and likely will shortly.

Journalism doesn't attract the brightest minds; sports journalists are engaged in a perpetual battle with entertainment journalists for occupancy on the lowest tier of the journalism pyramid. Articles like this give Sports journalism an edge in that race to the bottom.

Trolls want attention so I hate to even respond to this article but we are the wealthiest program in the SEC, one of the wealthiest in the nation with a rich tradition. Yes, we have sucked for about a decade but in just 2007 we were one TD away from beating LSU and playing for another BCS championship. I think anyone with a lick of sense would realize we are just a few puzzle pieces away from being competitive for a title annually.
I hope we find those puzzle pieces soon.

Since 1992, Tennessee has beaten Florida and Georgia in the same season 4 times.

It’s a problem.

Since 1992, Georgia has beaten Florida and Tennessee in the same season 4 times, but nobody's saying that’s a problem. It's all relative to the reference point. It'll swing.

Reactions: 3 people
Since 1992, Georgia has beaten Florida and Tennessee in the same season 4 times, but nobody's saying that’s a problem. It's all relative to the reference point. It'll swing.

True and how many times has Georgia beaten Tennessee, Florida and Auburn in the same regular season? As good as they were, it didn't happen last year. ... and as bad as Butch Jones was, it was just two freaking years ago that Tennessee beat both Florida and Georgia in the same season.

Witch Doctor say probably true as the people up top keep replacing has beens with has beens no fresh thinking, just retreads. Wise old Witch Doctor tell young Witch Doctor, "keep carrying the same "bricks" along, you will build the same house"

BNL

I absolutely agree with that, though there are long-term trends that certainly would seem to bear out "as far as the eye can see."

For instance: the service academies. Power houses in the 30s, 40s, and 50s (Navy up to the 60s, thanks to a fella named Roger Staubach), I doubt either of them will ever compete for a national championship again, at least not unless the U.S. swings back from Athens toward Sparta in national temperament.

For instance: Yale and Princeton. The most dominant teams in the nation in football's early years, they've been overcome by a century+ of evolution of our national landscape.

For instance (to give a more speculative example): Notre Dame. A juggernaut as long as Catholic churches and schools nationwide were making them one of the top picks for good high school football players, the decline of religion in communities across much of the country (particularly those parts where Catholicism is strongest, the "blue states") is making this once proud national contender just another mid-western college.

So yeah, absolutely, teams like Tennessee and Alabama, Michigan State and Maryland, they come and go, and come back again. But there are some teams this writer could've put on the list that would've made a lot more sense.

Go Vols!

What other traditional powers have droughts one year longer than ours? Michigan and Nebraska. And, yet, Tennessee, in this author’s opinion, is one of the programs that will never win another national title. The same certainly could have been said of us during the post-Neyland era. Indeed, if we discount the 1967 Litkenhous “trophy,” 47 years elapsed between national title runs at Tennessee. Michigan’s history in this respect is eerily similar. Before their ’97 share of the title, the last Wolverine team to win a national championship was in 1948. Once again, however, Tennessee, and not Michigan or Nebraska, is deemed by this writer to be incapable of winning another national title. I just don’t buy it.

P.S. The earliest college football game that I vaguely remember was the 1964 Cotton Bowl Classic, which pitted the Midshipmen and Roger Staubach vs. Texas. In retrospect, it just seemed so strange to see Navy in a major bowl game until I finally looked it up and saw that 1963 was Staubach’s Heisman trophy-winning campaign.

Last edited:
What other traditional powers have droughts one year longer than ours? Michigan and Nebraska. And, yet, Tennessee, in this author’s opinion, is one of the programs that will never win another national title. The same certainly could have been said of us during the post-Neyland era. Indeed, if we discount the 1967 Litkenhous “trophy,” 47 years elapsed between national title runs at Tennessee. Michigan’s history in this respect is eerily similar. Before their ’97 share of the title, the last Wolverine team to win a national championship was in 1948. Once again, however, Tennessee, and not Michigan or Nebraska, is deemed by this writer to be incapable of winning another national title. I just don’t buy it.

I've always been taken by the weird parallels between Michigan and Tennessee. And not only between the two programs, but even more specifically between Lloyd Carr and Phillip Fulmer during the time they were our respective coaches.

Just really curious.

VN Store

Back