No idea about the secondary.

chambers1517

Whats expected? Better, worse, too young? I just hate the secondary being the weakness once again and don't understand the problem in year 4 except tho obvious.

Whats expected? Better, worse, too young? I just hate the secondary being the weakness once again and don't understand the problem in year 4 except tho obvious.
I hope they play the youngsters early and often and stick with them. That's where our speed and athleticism is. They might make mistakes here and there, but they'll learn and with that speed/athleticism, we'll see more plays being made. I was so very glad when all those older guys we kept trotting out there left. Let the youth be served.

More athletic, probably can play a little tighter. Very young though, we’re going to have some growing pains. Probably see a few more busted plays but I think our third down efficiency will be better. Jmo though

This year is the “show me” year for Martinez. He has the most talent he’s ever had at all positions and he’s got arguably the best defensive line in the country to mask a lot of inexperience in the backfield. If there was ever a year for our DBs to produce it will be this year but as we’ve seen it’s been an issue the past few years.

The way I see it it can go 2 ways:

1. Our young guys get trotted out there looking just as lost as the older guys did the last few years, except they won’t have experience to back them up. They can still make plays from their raw athleticism, but opposing QBs smell the blood in the water and light us up every Saturday.

2. All our assumptions were wrong about Martinez, and his coaching is taken well among the young, much more athletic group, and they manage to perform better than the upperclassmen we’ve lost. We have a serviceable and young backfield who can make plays.

I mean supposedly we have upgraded. More athleticism. Better players. So there is no excuse as to why the secondary shouldn’t be much better. It’s year 4 for Martinez. I have heard AP say Matthews and Conyers just not developing. Now is that just them or just the bad coaching of WM?

If the secondary is bad again it will be the same reason they have been bad before. Willie Martinez is not a good coach.

Can SOMEBODY Teach them to TURN AROUND and try to make a play on the BALL??!!

From 10+ years ago...and yet STILL around today....

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Better. Experience can help but has a lower limit for the secondary than other positions. A "somewhat" experienced but more athletic player will likely perform better than an experienced but less talented guy. UT lost 5 DBs. Only Turnage went to a program likely to compete in the top half of a top conference.

Reactions: Native Orange
more athletic, faster but a bit inexperienced. Portal guys McCoy, McMurray, Thomas were upgrades. Gibson is a star. I expect better secondary play bordering on very good but not quite great
I’m thinking/hoping the reason for exodus of DBs in the portal was coaches realized we had to be better and signaled their need to transfer to have room to be more athletic. Front 7 being strong will also help take pressure off DBs

This year is the “show me” year for Martinez. He has the most talent he’s ever had at all positions and he’s got arguably the best defensive line in the country to mask a lot of inexperience in the backfield. If there was ever a year for our DBs to produce it will be this year but as we’ve seen it’s been an issue the past few years.

The way I see it it can go 2 ways:

1. Our young guys get trotted out there looking just as lost as the older guys did the last few years, except they won’t have experience to back them up. They can still make plays from their raw athleticism, but opposing QBs smell the blood in the water and light us up every Saturday.

2. All our assumptions were wrong about Martinez, and his coaching is taken well among the young, much more athletic group, and they manage to perform better than the upperclassmen we’ve lost. We have a serviceable and young backfield who can make plays.
I think the best way to approach this is by looking at the QB's and OL's on the schedule. Teams without those 2 ingredients won't do much vs our youngsters. Quick example: OU has to replace both starting OT's with our DL rolling in early in the year. JP is probably praying they drop back 40 times to throw.

I’m thinking/hoping the reason for exodus of DBs in the portal was coaches realized we had to be better and signaled their need to transfer to have room to be more athletic. Front 7 being strong will also help take pressure off DBs
perhaps, for some just plain player realization that their PT was gonna be limited

Reactions: 67Vol
I think the fundamental problem our secondary faces is that Heup's offense is the big draw for talent. In contrast, playing on D in general is a tough role as they play a huge amount of minutes compared to any other competitive team... if you like running marathons, come play cornerback for the Vols. Pretty sure that's a tough sell to recruits.

It may be a rocky start but I actually think they’ll be improved. I don’t think Turrentine is a downgrade at Safety and he played pretty well at the end of last year. The transfer McCoy should be decent at CB. They may look to bring in another transfer via the portal if they have doubts about their current group, but they seem pretty content with what they have.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I hope they play the youngsters early and often and stick with them. That's where our speed and athleticism is. They might make mistakes here and there, but they'll learn and with that speed/athleticism, we'll see more plays being made. I was so very glad when all those older guys we kept trotting out there left. Let the youth be served.

Young DBs tends to get beat early and often. Maybe ours will be different--let's hope so.

Can SOMEBODY Teach them to TURN AROUND and try to make a play on the BALL??!!

From 10+ years ago...and yet STILL around today....

Thanks TAF for ruining my evening, lol. I forgot just how bad things looked at times last year. I don’t know which was worse, the way an Austin Peay receiver ran by our corner, or the way our corner mowed down a receiver without even attempting to glance up for the ball, or the pathetic “no fumble“ call by the referee. Oh well, hoping a very good D-Line and DB’s with better talent will make a big difference.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back