Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

FD2oshOVkAA7n_z
gonna enjoy when she puts up like 30 shots to get 10 points like she did in AAUšŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

So Dawn has been giving out pieces of nets from her 2017 championship to other black coachesā€¦ā€¦and this tweet is the reason why I donā€™t like SC fans always so shady for no reason because this feels like a slight to idk Pat SummittšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøView attachment 410797View attachment 410798
Uncalled for tweet, but I think Markeisha Grant is a bit more than your typical SC fan. Didn't she play for Dawn at SC?

So Dawn has been giving out pieces of nets from her 2017 championship to other black coachesā€¦ā€¦and this tweet is the reason why I donā€™t like SC fans always so shady for no reason because this feels like a slight to idk Pat SummittšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøView attachment 410797View attachment 410798
I donā€™t think it was a slight at Pat but itā€™s definitely not that serious! šŸ˜©šŸ™„šŸ˜‚ she couldā€™ve saved that paragraph and just retweeted Seanā€™s tweet!

Reactions: Rooster1 and SCspur

That's narcissistic IMO; how many coaches out there want to receive a piece of dang net won by someone else. I can't make out what is said in the letter, but it strikes me as weird and a self-promotional stunt. "Hey, remember me, I won a championship 4 years ago."

If ppl want championship nets so bad they can have ours we got 8 and itā€™s just collecting dust šŸ˜‚
I realize you are just jesting. Dawn is trying to empower black women and raise their place in the game. That is just a way for her to share a dream with others like her, itā€™s not meant to be petty or superficial.
She believes her first role in the game is as a pioneer and ambassador to others like herself who for generations took a back seat. Donā€™t read into it, itā€™s genuine, she believes her legacy will be not as a great coach, but as a pioneer for women of color who dream to follow in her footsteps.
What is petty is folks trying to label her actions as other than genuine towards women of color in the coaching ranks. Truth.
And Dawn has always been one of Patā€™s biggest fans, she dedicates days and events to honor Patā€™s legacy to the sport.

Last edited:
I realize you are just jesting. Dawn is trying to empower black women and raise their place in the game. That is just a way for her to share a dream with others like her, itā€™s not meant to be petty or superficial. She believes her first role in the game is as a pioneer and ambassador to others like herself who for generations took a back seat. Donā€™t read into it, itā€™s genuine, she believes her legacy will be not as a great coach, but as a pioneer for women of color who dream to follow in her footsteps.
What is petty is folks trying to label her actions as other than genuine towards women of color in the coaching ranks. Truth. And Dawn has always been one of Patā€™s biggest fans, she dedicates days and events to honor Patā€™s legacy to the sport.
I understand that but the tweet was petty coming from a former South Carolina player

I realize you are just jesting. Dawn is trying to empower black women and raise their place in the game. That is just a way for her to share a dream with others like her, itā€™s not meant to be petty or superficial.
She believes her first role in the game is as a pioneer and ambassador to others like herself who for generations took a back seat. Donā€™t read into it, itā€™s genuine, she believes her legacy will be not as a great coach, but as a pioneer for women of color who dream to follow in her footsteps.
What is petty is folks trying to label her actions as other than genuine towards women of color in the coaching ranks. Truth.
And Dawn has always been one of Patā€™s biggest fans, she dedicates days and events to honor Patā€™s legacy to the sport.

I think her actions were honest but Markeisha Grant was the petty one. However, while i think that tweet was NOT meant for a coach like Pat i think it was for KIM MULKEYšŸ˜‚ I say this because she is always on Kim's a$$ about something and has no time for her... lol I think the shots fired were aimed in her direction.

Reactions: SCspur and Rooster1
What would I do with a piece of net I had no part in earning. I would much rather her send me a portion of that 22 million payday she just received.

Dawn has smartly positioned herself as a Strong Black Woman who is willing to carry the flag for other Black women who can benefit from having her as a role model.

History will note that this time was/is a significant one in the ongoing fight for racial justice, and Staley is very much taking the lead for prominent Black women in sports. I'm sure the pieces of net are symbolic for "we are all in this together," and I think it's a powerful gesture -- and has nothing to do with ANY other non-Black coach, dead or alive.

As Dawn HAS established her place at the top of the pile for successful Black female coaches, she has every right to use her status as such to make that a MAJOR platform in her recruiting pitch -- and I am 100% certain she does.

Right now is a tricky time for a blonde-haired, blue-eyed coach if that coach is recruiting young Black women who are fired up by the racial injustices they are seeing every day and, perhaps, feel they might find more comfort in imagining themselves being led by a Strong Black Woman who grew up city-tough instead of, say, a country girl with horses.

OBVIOUSLY not EVERY young Black woman is necessarily looking for a Black role model for her college years. But I can pretty much guarantee you that SOME are, and Dawn is THE hot ticket for that demographic.

Probably said better than I did, though I donā€™t think Staley is preaching injustice to her recruits, I know she is preaching equality for all and trying to elevate others of color who have the dream.
Many young women of color have dreams beyond just playing the sport, and there does need to be role models for them.
Hope I am not off base here, but I believe some of her biggest supporters are also UT grads from the WBB ranks, and I know Staley is genuine in trying to uplift young women of color, she makes that her number one goal in life.
Dawn is not a the greatest xā€™s and oā€™s coach compared to some like Geno. That is not her gift, her gift as she sees it is inspiration and dreaming big for minorities. She is good enuf at coaching and recruiting to make a difference in the lives of many young women. I hate it when some disparage her for her efforts, but I understand it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver and lvocd
gonna enjoy when she puts up like 30 shots to get 10 points like she did in AAUšŸ˜µā€šŸ’«
Georgia and Tennessee pulled out of this one because she was ā€œtoo much to deal withā€. I totally understand parents wanting the best for your child, but when you are telling schools that you and your family wonā€™t accept anything less than a Mercedes Sprinter to pick you up there are issues I see with that. I didnā€™t want to say anything initially, but there is a message that the parents are sending to this young lady that is impactful to her future if she doesnā€™t weigh the outcomes of her beliefs about herself and the world!

What would I do with a piece of net I had no part in earning. I would much rather her send me a portion of that 22 million payday she just received.
Me also, but you get the sisterhood thing, they are all trying to help and motivate each other. Women of color have had a hard history, they support one another naturally.
Those women have endured through times and events the past 100 years that some like me donā€™t fully understand.
Many women of color have had a hard hard road, the % of them that raise children as a single parent is high, and the % of them that have struggled in poverty is also high. They can use a few role models and Dawn knows that, she came from that background.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back