Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

It had nothing to do with Pat. Every female basketball player and coach have nothing but respect for that woman, who lifted their sport from obscurity.

I honestly would be shocked if DS took a dig at Pat. Dawn is always super supportive of We Back Pat activities.
Full disclosure,I have not seen the quote in question but anything negative about Pat would seem out of character IMO.

I think Rivers and Johnson will eat into Beal’s minutes as the season progresses. Amihere will take over many of Sexton’s minutes, she is ready to explode this year. Feagin waits this year.

Perhaps Rivers, but not Johnson. Johnson is all PG - she will spell Henderson at the 1. Rivers is a SG, and is expected to spell Cooke, but if her offensive prowess is as good as Staley has remarked on, I could see Rivers playing alongside Henderson and Cooke together for some offensive boost. Rivers is 6-1 after all, the same height as Beal. But Rivers is also a bit raw as a defensive player according to Staley, so it would be gaining offense and losing defense. Not sure how Staley would roll with that one.

6-1 Bree Hall has shown herself the opposite of Rivers right now: better defensively, not yet there offensively. She looks better situated at rotating with Beal at he 3 with little lost defensively, but it doesn't help the offensive needs at the position unless Hall starts hitting her shots while she's out there....

They are all options....

I honestly would be shocked if DS took a dig at Pat. Dawn is always super supportive of We Back Pat activities.
Full disclosure,I have not seen the quote in question but anything negative about Pat would seem out of character IMO.
Dawn did not Markiesha did

Reactions: Lucy
It is an unnecessary and snotty toned tweet, and a strange way to react to Dawn's nice gesture. It appears to be directed at everyone who's won a natty and not thought to give out celebratory strings. Whatever.

Also its an obvious and heavy-handed nod to the ongoing deification of St. Dawn. I was soooo tired of that by tourney time last year and was hoping we were done. College bball talkers are so bad about repeating the same 6 "storylines" ad nauseum.

It's a shot at Geno. He has every nat champ trophy in his office and each has the net hanging over it. He won't let the team cut down any net but the last one.
LOL the direct opposite of 'Hang a Banner' Dawn, who cuts down nets from exhibition game wins. Statues for everyone!

Isn't it pretty common practice to hang the net around the championship trophy? I didn't know Geno invented that. Nor did I know he was the first coach to say 'We only celebrate the big one.' What a genius!

LOL the direct opposite of 'Hang a Banner' Dawn, who cuts down nets from exhibition game wins. Statues for everyone!

Isn't it pretty common practice to hang the net around the championship trophy? I didn't know Geno invented that. Nor did I know he was the first coach to say 'We only celebrate the big one.' What a genius!
Geno hasn’t touched a net in 6 years…

Last edited:
Sad news for Tamari Key's younger sister, UNC freshman phenom Teonni. I really, really, REALLY hate that this particular injury is all too common among female basketball players. :(

UNC top recruit Teonni Key to miss 2021-22 season

Something that raised my eyebrow when I read this story was that Tennessee was not mentioned as one of the "top programs she had received offers from." I'm fairly certain Tennessee offered her, and if so, that sure comes off as a deliberate slight. Strange.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It's a shot at Geno. He has every nat champ trophy in his office and each has the net hanging over it. He won't let the team cut down any net but the last one.

He's a control freak who is denying his hardworking players opportunities to celebrate well-earned milestones. It's ridiculous for someone who is paid MILLIONS of dollars on the backs of these young women to deny them these simple joys. A-hole move. Borderline abusive, even, in his selfish hoarding of all THEIR trophies and nets in his personal office, in stark contrast to how Pat Summitt was always careful to give all the credit and glory to the players who actually played in those games and won those trophies and earned their little cherished pieces of net they climbed those ladders to cut.

But not Auriemma! But while he's denying his players the joy of cutting down conference championship nets, I'm sure he's more than happy to take bonus checks for his players winning those conference championships, etc. He's an insufferable jerk.

Last edited:
He's a control freak who is denying his hardworking players opportunities to celebrate well-earned milestones. It's ridiculous for someone who is paid MILLIONS of dollars on the backs of these young women to deny them these simple joys. A-hole move. Borderline abusive, even, in his selfish hoarding of all THEIR trophies and nets in his personal office, in stark contrast to how Pat Summitt was always careful to give all the credit and glory to the players who actually played in those games and won those trophies and earned their little cherished pieces of net they climbed those ladders to cut.

But not Auriemma! But while he's denying his players the joy of cutting down conference championship nets, I'm sure he's more than happy to take bonus checks for his players winning those conference championships, etc. He's an insufferable jerk.
Right on

Thank You… my tone probably would’ve been more on the ride side of things lol

Sad news for Tamari Key's younger sister, UNC freshman phenom Teonni. I really, really, REALLY hate that this particular injury is all too common among female basketball players. :(

UNC top recruit Teonni Key to miss 2021-22 season

Something that raised my eyebrow when I read this story was that Tennessee was not mentioned as one of the "top programs she had received offers from." I'm fairly certain Tennessee offered her, and if so, that sure comes off as a deliberate slight. Strange.
Or we just need to become a Top program again🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve never understood why he has the trophies in his office either. It’s so narcissistic lol.

Hate on the guy all you want but it is part of the mind set at the school. There is only one goal, enjoy the lesser things but there is one goal.

Last edited:

That's not completely true. In 2009, the team decided that since the goal is to win a national championship, that's when nets should be cut down. The players always get a choice.

Now, whether they feel pressured to do it because it has become a tradition versus whether they really believe in the tradition is an answer we will probably never know...

Reactions: NeedOrange

Another Miss St player hits the portal.

Someone was giving me crap the other day when I said Jasmine wouldn’t be the last before the first of the year.

Godfrey won’t either. That’s gonna be a toxic environment with a brand new coach and all those Hayes sisters plus their parents. The rest of their guards will be in the portal soon. It’ll be the Hayes sisters and a couple 3 star forwards lol

Someone was giving me crap the other day when I said Jasmine wouldn’t be the last before the first of the year.

Godfrey won’t either. That’s gonna be a toxic environment with a brand new coach and all those Hayes sisters plus their parents. The rest of their guards will be in the portal soon. It’ll be the Hayes sisters and a couple 3 star forwards lol
Godfrey even enrolled early. I saw a bit of their game the other day, and she was awful. Don't know if you watched, but I was surprised at how much Anastasia played in a team structure. She took shots within the flow of the offense and most everything ran through Rickea while she was on the court. I think that Anastasia and JerKaila took about the same amount of shot attempts. I think Godfrey and Shavers leaving is more because they see that there are better players in front of them and it's unlikely they will see the court much this year.

VN Store

Back