Odds on Suburban Meyer

Looks like Clay Helton just beat #10 Utah. Maybe ole Urban isn’t going to USC afterall...;)

I guess we will see how badly Pruitt wants his job tomorrow at noon o clock

Reactions: Jdw2920
I'm afraid that J.P. fails, but will take a year or two to fire him. By that time, Urban will be at FSU/USC. Then Les passes cause he got Kansas rolling, and he don't want our mess. And no other big names will be available. Then we scrape the bottom, and find Kiff, floundering at UCF! He returns us to greatness!

With the exception of Johnny Majors and potential exception of Rick Barnes (him being a "high end" coach is debatable), Tennessee has never hired a football/basketball head coach that has already won at a high level at another prominent program. And in all likelihood, the only reason we were able to get Majors is because he was coming back home.

None of the post-Fulmer guys have, Fulmer hadn't, Battle hadn't, Dickey hadn't, Neyland hadn't, Bruce Pearl hadn't.

That may be true, BUT Tennessee is something like 11 in the list of winningest football programs despite the fact that some teams ranked higher played for years against questionable competition before we even started playing football (and what the last ten years have done to our overall record), and not many teams can claim national championships - not even one. Majors would have been booted these days before he got things cranked up, but he was established - even had a NC to his name. Dooley and Jones were both head coaches ... before you say it - yeah, I know. We've done very well with assistants and coordinators turned first time coaches. That list includes Neyland, Dickey, and Fulmer.

For the record, this year's list of second year coaches and how they've done looked pretty grim - with the exception of Fisher at TAMU, and he didn't exactly step into an unstocked locker room. There are also several teams that are going through the multiple coach progression just like we are, and I don't think any of those programs including the likes of USC, UCLA, Nebraska, etc had thoughts of hiring bad coaches either. Orgeron is a coordinator just turned HC, Smart, too and they aren't doing so badly ... there are probably more if one looks ... and, yes, I do realize it's Orgeron's second time as HC after bombing at Ole Miss.

Yeah. I never believed the Gruden hype tho.
I did the first time around, the second time around devolved into walks along the beach flirting and who could fake better they knew about evaluating various alcoholic spirits, pitiful to see actual adults fall for such douchebaggery.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I did the first time around, the second time around devolved into walks along the beach flirting and who could fake better they knew about evaluating various alcoholic spirits, pitiful to see actual adults fall for such douchebaggery.
I try to live in the realm of logic. Sometimes it gets away from me, but it's served me well so far.

Reactions: AM64
Then he better hope he don’t slide to 1-11 or 2-10. He WILL be fired if that happens. It’s guaranteed

He really shouldn’t be. He had a mess to clean up and a culture problem. He was hired a few days before 80% of the top 100 kids signed.So he has had one real recruiting class & a whole lot of those kids are playing now.

Remember Pruitt didn’t get Tennessee into this mess.

But he is dang sure recruiting kids that have the ability & fight to get us out of it.

He needs 85 of those kids and he has about 35 of them now.

Reactions: AM64
Urban is more of a delusional pipe dream than Gruden!
We just need to stop. This talk just further rots our programs image

VN Store

Back