Offense prediction question

3 words will help dictate how balanced or unbalanced we are...first down efficiency.

we have to be better on 1st down, period. can't be in 2nd and 7, 8, 9 as much as we've been. do that, and you keep the playbook open, and aren't predictable. don't do that, and i would expect to see a lot more runs on 2nd down, leading to more throws on 3rd.

if you're in 2nd and 5 or shorter....then you can dial stuff up and keep yourself balanced, and the defense guessing.

but it starts with what we're able to do on 1st downs....

Reactions: 2 people
Personally I see a well balanced offense this upcoming season. Veteran O-line accompanied with a stud RB (JK) should make it easier for QD to ease in as starter. I just have a good feeling that QD is going to be successful as QB. He just looks the part and has shown accuracy when he has played.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally I see a well balanced offense this upcoming season. Veteran O-line accompanied with a stud RB (JK) should make it easier for QD to ease in as starter. I just have a good feeling that QD is going to be successful as QB. He just looks the part and has shown accuracy when he has played.

well, i think if you look at it as "how would you match up against TN?".....you have to think the first priority is to take away the run. and see if this new guy can get it done from the pocket. the good news for anyone playing us is they don't have to account for the running of Dobbs, so i would expect most opponents to believe that gives them an advantage in and of itself.

i'm optimistic on the O line, but it's not like this group has been just outstanding the last couple of years. so again, looking at how you match up against our offense....new qb, only 1 known at WR....new RB....inconsistent TE play...

i'm stopping the run. and manning up elsewhere maybe with a little shade toward Jennings.

and see what we got for that. put us in predictable situations in 2nd and 3rd and long and go get the qb.

which is why i will continue to say being efficient on 1st down for us is going to be key. the short/intermediate passing game will be key for us on early downs if we're going to find success in the running game later in games and later in the season....and if we're going to have opportunities to make big plays in the passing game. those won't come as easy as they did last year.

I'd like to see running backs sprinting 80 yards down the field like Graham, Henry, Stephens, Cobb, etc...I miss seeing those backs hit a hole and be untouched headed for 6.

If I see QD running the read option first game, I'm going to turn off the TV until next year when Tennessee is naming a new head coach in a press conference. I can promise you, If they try and run QD like that, Tennessee will win probably 4 games. QD is obviously a pro set style QB.

These are the numbers when Larry Scott was Interim HC at Miami (6 games)

Duke 39R 29P W
VA 33R 26P W
UNC 32R 43P L
GT 28R 26P W
Pitt 40R 35P W
WSU 30R 32P L

They won the games that they ran the ball more than they passed!:ermm:

They won the games that they ran the ball more than they passed!:ermm:

But of course, correlation =/= causation.

Hard to tell what caused what.

Did they win because they were running the ball more than passing?

Or were they running the ball a lot because they had the game well in hand?

Or even, was there a third variable involved? What if they had a dual threat QB, who, when he was healthy and in the game, tended to win? and tended to pull the ball down and run more often? But when he was injured the backup (pocket passer) QB lost more games, while trying to win his way?

Always tough to tell exactly what's going on with a glance through the stats.

Last edited:
A lot of those runs were called pass plays and Dobbs tucked it and ran.

I think if the numbers are skewed significantly one way or the other, it will be a bad sign, because it will mean that we either can't run it, or don't trust the QBs, and WRs enough to throw it. If we have the kind of season we envision and all hope for it will be that 55/45 split. IMO

Defenses will need to "guess" right on what to defend. If they are playing run on a pass play they will get thrashed. Same goes for run plays. Many times last year you could tell the defense jumped plays and would blow them up, but there times a play would still work even after the defense would guess right due to the talent on the field for the Vols. I expect our offense to have their way with most of the teams we play, even some of the toss up games. It's gonna come down to how well our defense performs.

121 is a talented team.

I like our chances.

Reactions: 1 person
with new OC, wouldn't doubt giving QD plenty of shots...new sheriff in town...but, like any good OC you take advantage of what the defense gives and by exploiting weaknesses...guess we'll see pretty soon...:)

GO VOLS!

I'd like to see running backs sprinting 80 yards down the field like Graham, Henry, Stephens, Cobb, etc...I miss seeing those backs hit a hole and be untouched headed for 6.

If I see QD running the read option first game, I'm going to turn off the TV until next year when Tennessee is naming a new head coach in a press conference. I can promise you, If they try and run QD like that, Tennessee will win probably 4 games. QD is obviously a pro set style QB.

I guess you will see a Tennessee football game in about 10-12 years. The read option is part of the offensive scheme and I think it will be here for years.

I would love to see more running plays if we can open some holes up. Owning the line of scrimmage controlling the clock! 70 runs to 30 passes would be great. Giving defense a break letting offense run long drives.

Really?
And have you considered the fact that your leading rusher was the QB, and scrambles count as run plays?

And you think they're going to run the ball more???

Like I said in another post, u are wrong and have it bass ackwards. Butch is stringing JG along so he doesn't transfer. This will be QDs show and JG will get 8-12 snaps to keep him happy enough not to transfer. Now, if JG is more productive in his limited snaps he will get more and have the chance to pass QD. But, I seriously doubt it. QD balls out and gets drafted after the 2018 season in the top 3 rounds. Then we get the JG show if he has the patience to wait his turn, if not, Adrian Martinez begins the return of glory for UT football with multiple SEC East championships and our 1st SEC championship in 20+ years. If JG waits his turn, he returns us to the SEC championship game and may even pull off a win. Then JG gets recognition as the man to return UT to glory. Either way, QD is the immediate future at QB for UT

That's Butch. Seniority before talent.

I miss those days as well!

VN Store

Back