Official Non Gruden Thread

Would take petrino or Kiffin back before I'd want Dan Mullen near Tennessee.

Kiffen and Petrino are about the same to me as 4th best option. I’d take Mullen slightly ahead of them. I think he can coach and am curious to see if he could recruit at UT. Gruden and Kelly are way ahead in my book though.

1a Kelly
1b Patterson

Either of these coaches would have the Vols contending for the SEC East next year

2 The rest

To all of those who want to discuss multiple candidates, and anything anti Gruden. Please stop in! Please no pro Gruden nonsense. As of right now I feel Patterson is in play.

Patterson/Kelly are my top choices, but I don't think Currie is going to pursue either one of them. Damn shame.

I think Mullen would be the “safe” hire, but don’t think he can win a national championship. Probably win at least 8 a year with a splash of 9-10. Nothing spectacular.

If you don't think the coach can win a championship, then why hire him?
Assuming the goal is a championship... right AD? RIGHT?!?!?

Ok... Outside of the likes of Patterson, Dantonio, Fuente, or Petersen, if you choose between Sumlin, Petrino, Norvell, Brohm, or Durkin what's the preferences? I really think Sexton is going to try to get Sumlin another SEC job. I would take Norvell, myself.

Gruden's success at Oakland (40 - 28) was DECADES ago. He had the 15 - 4 record and won the Super Bowl at TB in his 1st year. For the next 6 years, overall he had a losing record and was fired. He has been away from coaching for years. I pray that UT has no interest in such a coach. He is very entertaining but so what would make him a good hire as a college football coach for UT in 2017? I trust that AD Currie is not stupid and trust him to hire a good coach.

Reactions: 3 people
If you don't think the coach can win a championship, then why hire him?
Assuming the goal is a championship... right AD? RIGHT?!?!?

I don’t want Mullen. Hiring him shows me that UT is ok with mediocrity. I’d prefer Patterson, but a lot of the names being thrown out doesn’t really excite me besides Gruden.

Reactions: 2 people
Mullen = mediocrity is just plain ridiculous

Based on what? It's for sure not his record that's awful...

So your either looking at what Mullen did with Urban Myer as his boss

Or just hopeful that he gets 1 more win per year at Tennessee than he did at Mississippi State

Because I haven't seen one person on here that thinks Dan Mullen could win a championship.

So why even bother?

Reactions: 1 person
Volnation is segregated right now.

The Grudeneers in one corner and the Mullenites in the other.

I agree the dreamers Gruden's angels

Then you have lets settle for better than Butch guys in let's hire Mullen...

Then the limited group of us that are discussing coaches that could change Tennessee back to a winning school.

Reactions: 1 person
Based on what? It's for sure not his record that's awful...

So your either looking at what Mullen did with Urban Myer as his boss

Or just hopeful that he gets 1 more win per year at Tennessee than he did at Mississippi State

Because I haven't seen one person on here that thinks Dan Mullen could win a championship.

So why even bother?

Look at Miss st bowl history before Mullen and after Mullen. Impressive. Winning at Miss St isn't much easier than winning at Vandy.

And yes, the level of talent he can routinely get at UT blows Miss St out of the water

Mullen = mediocrity is just plain ridiculous

That’s just my opinion. I think if he was a home run hire he wouldn’t be in Starkville still. He hasn’t been offered a better job(that we know of) even after getting them to #1 a few years ago.

which is funny, because i think most of the people talking Mullen, self included, would take 2-4 guys ahead of him.

including gruden.

it's the polyana, kumbaayah nature of the "only positive replies allowed" that's annoying. the stfu, gtfo schtick is just dumb.

only come over here if you're going to blow smoke up my azz, otherwise, gtfo. :eek:lol:

Would love to see Gruden, just doesn’t seem like a legit possibility.

After Gruden:

1. Kelly
2. Mullen
3. Petrino (with hopes he finally matured)

Not saying I want Petrino but I wish more people would not be so unforgiving towards us who make mistakes and not hold it over our heads our entire lives 🙂.

Where does everyone land on hiring Cut with a staff full of VFLs? Maybe with Tee as coach in waiting. Not saying that’s what I want just asking what others thoughts are

which is funny, because i think most of the people talking Mullen, self included, would take 2-4 guys ahead of him.

including gruden.

it's the polyana, kumbaayah nature of the "only positive replies allowed" that's annoying. the stfu, gtfo schtick is just dumb.

only come over here if you're going to blow smoke up my azz, otherwise, gtfo. :eek:lol:

Agreed

VN Store

Back