Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

If all you do is what she is asking,,,press, fast-break, shoot 3's,,,not bad
A favorite saying of mine is..."Basketball is a very simple game,,that is very difficult to be good at"
It's not a hard game
This could be done..It is the essence of "overwhelm them" basketball
Take the 75 possessions, factor in the upgrade in talent and figure to go up to 38-42%(3's) and 40-45% (FG's)
You will score in the high 70-low 80's
And that will win a lot of games

The kicker is if she is to do this she has to be able to go 12-13 deep, equally

40 minutes of hell,,,the Runnin Rebels of Loyola Marymount University,,,this!
Great assessment and that is what her level talent did do against their level. I see no reason not to think more talented players couldn’t be successful in this.

Would the platoon system actually work? Those who’ve tried come to realize that stuff don’t actually work.
Only if you are 10 deep with 5 star or AA level talent that buys into the everyone plays about 20-25 minutes and we can win a natty four years in a row. That might be worth sitting the bench a bit.

Would Rickea have come to Tennessee knowing she would sit half the game? Absolutely not. And Jewel might be thinking it is my time now, and this is not what I signed up for. Can’t blame her. How do you get into a shooting rhythm in 2 or 3 minutes?

Did Cooper leave SC and limited playing time to come platoon with players who have no where near her level of talent? I was expecting 35-40 minutes a game from her.

Kenny Brooks brings his top talent to KY and faces a coach he beat by 40+. We possibly get the Hayes sisters in the deal. Not much comparison there. Could see Jewel transferring to KY and playing with Georgia and that freshman center that took over for Kitley. She’d fit in his system.

Now we are recruiting against Vic, Dawn, Kenny, and Mulkey. And we are going to offer top talent with the assumption you’ll play 2-3 minute stretches?

I hope she can pull this off. I hope she can get top players out of the portal. Is her philosophy that she just needs lots of average players to throw at you and wear you down, which can definitely work in lower levels of play? But when your average ten face Dawn Staley’s ten what do you think will happen?

Okay enough negative thinking. On a positive note, Go Lady Vols!

Which btw, were the two lines that I resonated the most with.

"Did you hear. I got a text from Peyton Manning" and "I will never be Pat Summit but I will strive everyday to be someone she would be proud of"
Always a fan of those who acknowledge the players they left to help get them there. “ it’s not always fair the coach gets the glory, coach gets the reward for the work the players have done”

Last edited:
Only if you are 10 deep with 5 star or AA level talent that buys into the everyone plays about 20-25 minutes and we can win a natty four years in a row. That might be worth sitting the bench a bit.

Would Rickea have come to Tennessee knowing she would sit half the game? Absolutely not. And Jewel might be thinking it is my time now, and this is not what I signed up for. Can’t blame her. How do you get into a shooting rhythm in 2 or 3 minutes?

Did Cooper leave SC and limited playing time to come platoon with players who have no where near her level of talent? I was expecting 35-40 minutes a game from her.

Kenny Brooks brings his top talent to KY and faces a coach he beat by 40+. We possibly get the Hayes sisters in the deal. Not much comparison there. Could see Jewel transferring to KY and playing with Georgia and that freshman center that took over for Kitley. She’d fit in his system.

Now we are recruiting against Vic, Dawn, Kenny, and Mulkey. And we are going to offer top talent with the assumption you’ll play 2-3 minute stretches?

I hope she can pull this off. I hope she can get top players out of the portal. Is her philosophy that she just needs lots of average players to throw at you and wear you down, which can definitely work in lower levels of play? But when your average ten face Dawn Staley’s ten what do you think will happen?

Okay enough negative thinking. On a positive note, Go Lady Vols!
Do the research on minutes averaged per game. Which I posted earlier. Then you wouldn't have to ask such a I'll advised question. Her best players averaged 23-28 minutes per game .

Reactions: chuckiepoo
23 minutes is barely over half a game. 28 a bit better. I’m glad to see one person with 33. We need to have more than one getting those types of minutes unless we hit the big time in the portal and can share the wealth. That post with her player’s minutes was not up when I was making my comment and my thoughts were concerning the 5 in 5 out system that was discussed.

5 in 5 out. Haven’t seen a successful game plan like that yet.

Problem I have with this is if a player is have a HOT Streak shooting and we have momentum are we going to be taking them out? I'd got 3 in 3 out and keep 2 in for the next switch out. Let's say you have a Rickea shooting hot for 90 seconds nailing 3s and layups, keep her playing and rotate out others while she is hot and then when she cools off, sit her down and bring in another player. This of course only works if another player/s get hot shooting.

Problem I have with this is if a player is have a HOT Streak shooting and we have momentum are we going to be taking them out? I'd got 3 in 3 out and keep 2 in for the next switch out. Let's say you have a Rickea shooting hot for 90 seconds nailing 3s and layups, keep her playing and rotate out others while she is hot and then when she cools off, sit her down and bring in another player. This of course only works if another player/s get hot shooting.
That’s what she does.. her d2 player averaged over 30 mins

23 minutes is barely over half a game. 28 a bit better. I’m glad to see one person with 33. We need to have more than one getting those types of minutes unless we hit the big time in the portal and can share the wealth. That post with her player’s minutes was not up when I was making my comment and my thoughts were concerning the 5 in 5 out system that was discussed.
lots of star players average similar minutes. i don't think this will be a big issue at all. she's not going to bench anyone who isn't tired and playing well.

lots of star players average similar minutes. i don't think this will be a big issue at all. she's not going to bench anyone who isn't tired and playing well.
Yeah lots of role players hit the 20 mark. Again people need to adjust the brain. It’s not the same 20 minutes. You’re playing 100 possessions

30-40 more per game. That’s like an extra 3-5 mins per player pacing wise

Okay VolFuture, I’ll buy into that mindset and look forward to that 100 possessions of high octane offense! We were so slow and stagnant on offense at times this year. Should be a great change of pace.

Okay VolFuture, I’ll buy into that mindset and look forward to that 100 possessions of high octane offense! We were so slow and stagnant on offense at times this year. Should be a great change of pace.
Fr she know what this system needs and she’ll go get it. (Whether we are happy with the name or not)

i see it differently in regard to Rickea. She had a big improvement on the defensive end and rebounding aspects. She also become better at the 3 and off the dribble.

Wynn also took a big step forward. She was very, very raw as freshman and a sophomore. It would have been impossible for her to have any passable minutes at PG in those first two years.

Jillian is one who stands out as having plateaued. I really thought she would have done more this season. I saw some mention that she was struggling with injuries but not confirmed.
Agreed about the player development.

I think Jill did have a nagging injury, and I don't think she'd played the 5 very much before TN, but I could be wrong about that.

I might be wrong about this too, but I often thought Kellie's teams weren't as fundamentally sound as they needed to be. Too many careless passes and out of control dribbles, and, to my eye, they didn't always try hard enough to get the ball to their best shooters. No way a so-so shooter like Jazz should take more shots than Jewel, but that did happen. In Kellie's defense, she didn't have enough quality depth to adjust on court behavior with pt or mimic more athletic teams in practice but.................

Reactions: NoBackBoard
She said that as LV head coach?!! When?

Do the research on minutes averaged per game. Which I posted earlier. Then you wouldn't have to ask such a I'll advised question. Her best players averaged 23-28 minutes per game .
Didn’t say she said it as the LV head coach. It’s the style she’s always used and she said she’s playing the same at UT. That’s all I’m going by. She said before the Sun Belt final that her target time for a player to be on the floor was 90 seconds. She said that is every player, including the starters.

She only had 3 regulars average over 21 min/game. One with 28. One with 26. And one with 24. That’s it.

Just watch the Sun Belt final. It’s on the espn app. It was the biggest game of their season, so I assume she played it exactly like she wanted. 3 players subbed out 30 sec in. Then 5 for 5 a minute later and 5 for 5 again less than 2 min after that. All 5 starters were subbed out at least twice in less than 5 minutes. She made 41 substitutions (82 if you’re counting in and out) in the 1st quarter alone, including 4 times subbing 5 in - 5 out and 3 times 4 in - 4 out.

I’m hoping she is willing to make adjustments because I would love to see major recruits wearing orange, especially if NIL has been solved. But no amount of money will get a top 25 player to play in a system that subs everyone out twice in the first 5 min. They can get the same money elsewhere, play in rhythm and get 34 min/game.

That’s all I’m saying. Well, that, and you can’t press top teams. Va Tech proved that. Maybe watch that 92-49 game, too. They passed over and through the press all game. And it’s why you don’t see a press in pro ball and only in P5 when you want to surprise a team. Good players make a press look silly. Now that’s all I’m saying.

Didn’t say she said it as the LV head coach. It’s the style she’s always used and she said she’s playing the same at UT. That’s all I’m going by. She said before the Sun Belt final that her target time for a player to be on the floor was 90 seconds. She said that is every player, including the starters.

She only had 3 regulars average over 21 min/game. One with 28. One with 26. And one with 24. That’s it.

Just watch the Sun Belt final. It’s on the espn app. It was the biggest game of their season, so I assume she played it exactly like she wanted. 3 players subbed out 30 sec in. Then 5 for 5 a minute later and 5 for 5 again less than 2 min after that. All 5 starters were subbed out at least twice in less than 5 minutes. She made 41 substitutions (82 if you’re counting in and out) in the 1st quarter alone, including 4 times subbing 5 in - 5 out and 3 times 4 in - 4 out.

I’m hoping she is willing to make adjustments because I would love to see major recruits wearing orange, especially if NIL has been solved. But no amount of money will get a top 25 player to play in a system that subs everyone out twice in the first 5 min. They can get the same money elsewhere, play in rhythm and get 34 min/game.

That’s all I’m saying. Well, that, and you can’t press top teams. Va Tech proved that. Maybe watch that 92-49 game, too. They passed over and through the press all game. And it’s why you don’t see a press in pro ball and only in P5 when you want to surprise a team. Good players make a press look silly. Now that’s all I’m saying.
Did you really say 41 substitutions in the first quarter? I complained this year about our constant subbing of usually 2 or 3 at the midway point of the 1st quarter, even when we were on a roll. It was like it was preset.

With 41 substitutions in one quarter I may not be able to keep up with who is on the floor! It’ll just have to be GO Lady Vols!

Reactions: VolFuture

Marshall controlled the whole first half. Tempo wise just couldn’t compete with size or hit open 3s

Reactions: krichunaka

I agree with you and have said in earlier posts that the "we are going press like hungry dogs for 40 minutes" always gets fans all excited but it just does not work at this level (or its not sustainable as good teams identify how to break you and control tempo).

I ask if she said that as LV coach because I think she is astute and will realize that she needs to adapt to succeed.

I agree with you and have said in earlier posts that the "we are going press like hungry dogs for 40 minutes" always gets fans all excited but it just does not work at this level (or its not sustainable as good teams identify how to break you and control tempo).

I ask if she said that as LV coach because I think she is astute and will realize that she needs to adapt to succeed.
I also think reality will change the subbing pattern. Which btw is quite ironic since too much subbing was one of Kellie's big siins. But they need to change this narrative now bc limited playing time and not being allowed to get into a rythmn will be a recruiting killer. And recruiting is everything right now.

One game senerios is not a pattern. Compare to UT's min/game. There's not that big of difference. Nolan Richardson won a Natty playing this style. You win with jimmies and joes not x's and o's. Elite players win championships , no matter the style of play..

One game senerios is not a pattern. Compare to UT's min/game. There's not that big of difference. Nolan Richardson won a Natty playing this style. You win with jimmies and joes not x's and o's. Elite players win championships , no matter the style of play..
40 minutes of Hell in the 90’s was must see TV

Fans are concerned about player rotation in a fast paced style of play but no issues with standing in the corner waiting.
Who said standing in the corner waiting wasn't a problem? News flash: that coach is gone. Totally invalid comparison.

Here's another comparison for you: Fans were concerned and screamed loudly about a coach who subbed on a pattern and subbed out hot players in rthymn but have no issues with hockey style 5 out 5 in subbing and every 90 second subbing.

VN Store

Back