OJ Simpson is dead

people are upset that he could have POTENTIALLY served 33 year maximum at the same time he was getting out at the MINIMUM of 9?

I don't think that anyone is this thread is coming off as "upset." Even those of us who think that the charges were excessive are pretty okay with an unrepentant murderer spending as many years in prison as possible.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the Made in America documentary chronicled it really well. The jury 100% let him go on the murders as a form of protest. The Nevada jury 100% sentenced him in retaliation for the first verdict.

Personally I think it's good he's out, I think his search for the real killer has been hampered by his incarceration.

While I agree that OJ might be a murderer, part of what makes this country great is that we have a system in place that allows for things like this to be proven, and for whatever reason the proof was decided to be in his favor. Because of that, him being a murderer has no impact on how I feel about him being released after 9 years in prison. In that case alone I do believe they made an example out of him because of what most believe happened in the past. If not for that the case would've most likely been settled with a generous plea bargin that would've resulted in far less time than 9 years.

Maybe the notoriety of this case transcends norms, but in general I think it's a bad idea to second guess juries particularly in the case of acquittals. They jurors had to sit there and absorb the evidence and make a decision. That's the system we have. There are moments that other systems may appeal to us on a visceral level but I don't think we really want to go there.

Maybe the notoriety of this case transcends norms, but in general I think it's a bad idea to second guess juries particularly in the case of acquittals. They jurors had to sit there and absorb the evidence and make a decision. That's the system we have. There are moments that other systems may appeal to us on a visceral level but I don't think we really want to go there.

In the OJ murder trial, I'm pretty sure that jury didn't do that. The unique circumstances of the case (black man on trial in LA, case got moved to downtown LA, demographics of jury) made sure that didn't happen.

Of the people that were pleased with the verdict, I'd say only about a third of them genuinely think he didn't do it.

I thought he wasn't going to get out cause he was caught spanking the monkey the night before his parole hearing.

How long is he under the conditions of his parole? OJ liked the alcohol and the reefer. He don't get to do those while on parole. He can play golf with Trump though.

One can support the system yet still understand it doesn't always get it right. And that was one time it didn't.

Don't know who this is but it's been shared around on instagram and this is just wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-21-06-49-27-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-21-06-49-27-1.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 1
The fact that OJ got off at nine years for his 33 year sentence is rather irrelevant. They said 82% of parolees are released at their first chance, so yesterday's outcome was just the norm.

I'm not thoroughly invested in OJ, never watched the series, but I think 33 years was a little harsh given the circumstances of this crime on its own. Either way, I'm about giving second chances. Hope OJ makes something productive out of the rest of his life. However, he'll probably just enjoy the supposed 600k+ he earned from the NFL while in prison.

In the OJ murder trial, I'm pretty sure that jury didn't do that. The unique circumstances of the case (black man on trial in LA, case got moved to downtown LA, demographics of jury) made sure that didn't happen.

Of the people that were pleased with the verdict, I'd say only about a third of them genuinely think he didn't do it.

Let us not forget that what set the stage for that was the Rodney King police trial where they moved that case to Orange County and ended up getting those cops a more favorable verdict, and thus started the riots. This was a high enough profile case that ran along racial lines that they didn't want to have the appearance of another stacked jury that would favor LAPD/the Powers That Be fresh off of the riots. So instead, they went the opposite direction and ended up with possibly another miscarriage of justice.

Both OJ and the LAPD officers involved in the Rodney King beating needed guilty verdicts, but the mess they created in Simi Valley ended up being overcompensated for in the OJ trial.

How long is he under the conditions of his parole? OJ liked the alcohol and the reefer. He don't get to do those while on parole. He can play golf with Trump though.

I've never seen anything indicating his propensity for either. However, he can partake if he so chooses.

The conditions of Juice's parole allow him to "consume alcoholic beverages but not to excess." O.J. will occasionally be tested for it, but if his BAC is under .08 ... he's in the clear.
Simpson's not allowed to use any controlled substances without a prescription from a doctor, and the same goes for marijuana. BUT, if he's prescribed medicinal marijuana ... he's got a green light to the ganja.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/o-j-simpson-parole-conditions-drink-alcohol-smoke-weed/

VN Store

Back