OK. St. transfer Gary Gaskins considering the Vols

What? Guys performing better at their new home than previous?

How about the opposite of this one, Tennessee to Oklahoma State, Phillip Jurick.

Couldn't even get on the court at Tennessee, ultimately ends up at Okie State where he's a pretty major piece in their frontcourt.

JP Prince, very pedestrian at Arizona, comes to Tennessee and is very productive.

Happens quite a bit, more than you obviously realized.

Prince (#4 guard) and Jurick (#14 center) were highly rated prospects who transferred after their Freshman year and had great careers. Gaskins went from Air Force to JUCO (9/6/3) to the Ok St bench and you compare him to those guys? He has never averaged more than 12 ppg in his entire life including HS. Tell me again, how he will succeed in the SEC. For that matter, care to make a bet on his stat line at his next stop?

Prince (#4 guard) and Jurick (#14 center) were highly rated prospects who transferred after their Freshman year and had great careers. Gaskins went from Air Force to JUCO (9/6/3) to the Ok St bench and you compare him to those guys? He has never averaged more than 12 ppg in his entire life including HS. Tell me again, how he will succeed in the SEC. For that matter, care to make a bet on his stat line at his next stop?

I didn't say he would succeed, whatever that means exactly, and maybe wait til he lands somewhere first?

If he ends up at Tennessee I would bet at least 5ppg 5rpg and 1.5bpg. You don't seem to be understanding what I'm saying, I don't expect the guy to be all-sec, but he would give us something we don't have, someone over 6'8" who's physically mature enough to play 20-25 minutes in the SEC...he's pretty much exactly what Eric McKnight was gonna be, however he got denied entry by the SEC.

If CDT wants him, and he wants to be a Vol, I am good with it. So should everybody else. If and until CDT proves otherwise, he knows who he wants for his system. None of us do.

No Brainer. Open scholly. Add experience at the C. One season.
What's not to like?

No Brainer. Open scholly. Add experience at the C. One season.
What's not to like?

That's what I don't get, those saying they wouldn't take him apparently don't understand our post situation. He's a 1 year guy, you've got nothing to lose by taking him.

That's what I don't get, those saying they wouldn't take him apparently don't understand our post situation. He's a 1 year guy, you've got nothing to lose by taking him.

Appears may be better options available as posted today. I know DT was put in a bad spot, but if we are getting big minutes out of a guy like this the vols will struggle. Wasted spot (Dwight Miller anyone?).

Maybe this is the "Cult" in me but you just asked him to name a couple. He did.

Appears may be better options available as posted today. I know DT was put in a bad spot, but if we are getting big minutes out of a guy like this the vols will struggle. Wasted spot (Dwight Miller anyone?).

How's it a wasted spot when he would be 1 year?

I actually know Gary. I taught at Beaufort High when he was there. He was a quiet kid and the basketball coach an aging "legend" had no idea how use Gary. Beaufort is a weird place with either extreme poverty or extreme wealth. He is from the poverty end of the spectrum. For a one year guy, Gaskins would be a good pick up, if nothing else, he won't rock the boat.

I actually know Gary. I taught at Beaufort High when he was there. He was a quiet kid and the basketball coach an aging "legend" had no idea how use Gary. Beaufort is a weird place with either extreme poverty or extreme wealth. He is from the poverty end of the spectrum. For a one year guy, Gaskins would be a good pick up, if nothing else, he won't rock the boat.

Please expand. How did him coming from poverty account to him coming from Southern?

Please expand. How did him coming from poverty account to him coming from Southern?

Ok, say you have a 6'10 190 pound kid that runs like a deer. In most circumstances that kid is going to play high level AAU growing up, go to camps, etc. Gary played with a local team throughout high school because he couldn't get a ride to Hilton Head to play on a better team. Beaufort is a football school, so when football season is over, the AD takes a nice vacation for the rest of the year. No one helped develop or promote the kid, and he ended up slipping through the cracks. If Gaskins had been from Indiana he would have been developed into a top 100 recruit IMO.

Ok, say you have a 6'10 190 pound kid that runs like a deer. In most circumstances that kid is going to play high level AAU growing up, go to camps, etc. Gary played with a local team throughout high school because he couldn't get a ride to Hilton Head to play on a better team. Beaufort is a football school, so when football season is over, the AD takes a nice vacation for the rest of the year. No one helped develop or promote the kid, and he ended up slipping through the cracks. If Gaskins had been from Indiana he would have been developed into a top 100 recruit IMO.

Gotcha. Now I'm with ya.

Gotcha. Now I'm with ya.

Gary was always a quiet yes mam, no mam type. I never heard about him getting into any trouble. He was a solid shot blocker and has a pretty nice jump shot. Coach wanted him to be a low post banger, but that just wasn't Gary's game at the time. He wanted to block shots and hit mid range jumpers. He hurt his knee in the service (I think it was in basic, but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong) and was discharged.

Gary was always a quiet yes mam, no mam type. I never heard about him getting into any trouble. He was a solid shot blocker and has a pretty nice jump shot. Coach wanted him to be a low post banger, but that just wasn't Gary's game at the time. He wanted to block shots and hit mid range jumpers. He hurt his knee in the service (I think it was in basic, but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong) and was discharged.

With his size if he can run we can use him. imo

His mobility is probably the best part of his game. He would seem to fit in well with what DT is going to want to do. He also won't be blocking up the post on offense.

Good to know. WWith what I know about CDT's O., he isn't gonna allow anybody to block the post. Also, with you saying he likes to block shots and step out, that sounds a lot like Owens.

Good to know. WWith what I know about CDT's O., he isn't gonna allow anybody to block the post. Also, with you saying he likes to block shots and step out, that sounds a lot like Owens.

Yes, he is comparable to Owens in terms of length and preferred style of play.

I'm guessing you 2 missed the part where Gaskins can't play in the SEC due to a rule about undergraduates?

VN Store

Back