One NFL Scout Suggests JRM Should Come Back To Tennessee

:yes:How would JRM's draft stock look to most NFL scouts if he'd remained healthy this year...winding up with monster stats, etc., etc. as opposed to how he's looking right now? How would he look to these same scouts if he were to return and put up freakish numbers in 2017? Although I'm approaching this from a subjective perspective (as many of us are...wishing on the inside he'd come back next year), logic suggests his draft stock would most likely justify one more year of college ball. Too many possible disappointments for the young man if he enters the draft under the prevailing circumstances. AMIRIGHT?:yes:

:yes:How would JRM's draft stock look to most NFL scouts if he'd remained healthy this year...winding up with monster stats, etc., etc. as opposed to how he's looking right now? How would he look to these same scouts if he were to return and put up freakish numbers in 2017? Although I'm approaching this from a subjective perspective (as many of us are...wishing on the inside he'd come back next year), logic suggests his draft stock would most likely justify one more year of college ball. Too many possible disappointments for the young man if he enters the draft under the prevailing circumstances. AMIRIGHT?:yes:

I agree, I think he needed this year to get him into the second or third round to begin with. he was never going to be a first round pick.

I agree, that he should do what's best for him but does him not playing this year land him in the fifth round.

Reactions: 1 person
If he's not going to be a first or second round pick, he should come back. Having a big year next year would only add worth for him as a pick.

I think he needs to look at maggit. If he'd had another year just to show he could get healthy. It would've helped him.

Not only that but it would enhance his legend as a VFL. To return for an additional season to help the defense and help us win another SECCG.

hasn't JRM already had one or two other surgeries (at least another one on his shoulder)?

GO VOLS!

He had one in the spring and it may have never really healed properly...I'm no doc but it's a very similar injury...

Mark Barron of the Rams, and Deone Buchanan of the Cardinals. Those are the players I think JRM could pattern himself after on the next level. A kind of hybrid S/LB position. If I'm not mistaken he came to Tennessee as a safety. I think it would be a lot less wear and tear on him physically. And as far as the members of the take the money and run crowd?! I believe he already has his degree or he's pretty close to earning it, so his financial future isn't dependent on his athletic ability. He's a smart young man, I'm sure he'll make the best decision for he and his family. GBO 👊👊

Reactions: 2 people
He isn't getting any taller

I'm not sure what else he can show/prove at the collegiate level. He has been very good.

Missing most of this season and a shoulder surgery will drop him down on the NFL draft boards, just a sad fact for 1 of our most popular and productive players.

If he can play all games next year, stay healthy and get his usual monster stats his draft stock will go up.

If our Vols do well next season too then he'll get even more press and exposure which will help his draft stock too.

I wish JRM all the very best whatever he decides to do!

VFL...GBO!!!

NFL analyst suggests Tennessee LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin should return to school in 2017

When Tennessee linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin met with the media to announce he underwent season-ending shoulder surgery, he said he may consider obtaining a medical redshirt that would grant him eligibility for 2017.

One NFL analyst seems to be on board with that idea.

Reeves-Maybin recorded a team-high 13 tackles in the only full game he played this season, but a shoulder injury hampered him since then. NFL analyst Lance Zierlein thinks the seniorÂ’s recent injury, combined with his relative lack of size at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds will damage his stock if he decides to enter the NFL draft.

“If he has any medical red flags at all, plus lack of size, that’s a recipe for going undrafted,” Zierlein told NFL.com. “… He’s got a skill set that will translate to the NFL whether he comes out this year or next year. But the most important thing for him is to be fully healthy whenever he comes out. That gives him the best chance to be an active participant on a two-deep roster.”

The Volunteers and coach Butch Jones would surely love to have Reeves-Maybin back in Knoxville for another year.

That might be in the best interest of his career, too.

Damn I must be getting old! When did 6'3, 230lbs become 'undersized' for an OLB? I remember when that was considered prototype!

He needs to go. Even if he were to go undrafted he'll make a roster and then prove himself on the field.

He isn't getting any taller

I'm not sure what else he can show/prove at the collegiate level. He has been very good.

Agree. Only thing he can do to help himself is prove to teams thst the shoulder is 100% healthy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure he can do that.

So how does this guy, Zierlein, rank among his colleagues...is he a scrub or legit?

This would obviously be good for us but it still sucks for JRM VFL!

He has a good point football wise. The risk is JRM stands the risk of being injured again. Tough decision on his part

My guess is that, with scouts at least, they are probably questioning his Durability.

He only played 2 full games this season, correct? He would certainly be leading tackler if he was healthy but scouts can be very fickle??

Honestly would like to see him go ahead to NFL and get a huge check, but not sure that is in the cards at the moment?!?

One more season of full health might change that but as many have stated, could get hurt again?

A gamble either way. :dunno::dunno:

We only want the best for Reeves-Maybin whether he stays or goes.

Absolutely, and I won't even pretend to know anything about the factors that go into "him" making "his" decision, [like some idiots on here do] only to say that I hope he makes the best decision for himself and that it works out for him. He sure has laid it on the line for Tennessee!!

His shoulder isn't going to get any better playing another year of football for free. If he goes undrafted he will still make a team on talent alone.

We constantly see posts stating that players should take the money and leave when they can. I certainly do not disagree with that. Unfortunately, I think there is too much optimism of both the money and the draft status. It seems to me that the NFL does have some type of preliminary draft status they provide. Is this only for the first 2 rounds.? IMHO, with the limited time that JRM has played this year, there is a significant chance he may not be drafted. If he were able to get another year and play an entire season, that would improve his draft status. This stresses the importance of getting good, accurate and unbiased information. Too many "agents" will tell a player that he is a 2nd round or 3rd round at worst and the player is undrafted. Our receiver that came out last year went undrafted. He might have been better served by coming back, although it may not have affected his status. I would expect both Hurd and Kamarra would leave, as long as they would be at least 3rd round or better prospect. This opinions are offered free of charge.

VN Store

Back