Opener is a likely L per ESPN

Nobody seems to examine what we're returning on both sides of the ball and the fact that USU is pretty much undergoing the same transformation, just I would take our replacements over theirs. As for those close games they played...

2011 Auburn: Post Newton, pre fiasco season Auburn who went 8-5 and was in for a 3-9 season next

2012 Wisconsin: an 8-6 Wisconsin team with other victories over Northern Iowa, Utep, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, and Indiana

2013 USC: Lane Kiffen was the head coach during this game and the following week ASU scored 62 points on them, and he was subsequently fired.

These weren't miserable teams, but they weren't the same top tier teams they have been when USU lost to them. LOST TO THEM. I'm not saying we're some great amazing team, but I think we're going to be better this year, and I think we'll be a surprise.

ESPN wants viewers to tune in. If a lot of people believe Utah State is going to give us a run for the money or maybe even win, then they get more viewers. Otherwise it's only UT and Utah ST watching. I think Utah State will make a good game of it, with the Vols making it a 10-14 point win in the end.

Picking games before the start of the season (Pro or College) is pure folly. It's based on a teams performance last season tempered by best guesses for the coming season. One has to get at least three games into the season before one has a good feel for what a team can do.

Going strictly by last season's teams, Tennesse vs USU is going to be a toss up for the pundits. Looking at recruiting and relative talent levels it should be an easy win for Tennessee. But it is football and crazy things can happen so if one is inclined to bet - don't!

ESPN wants viewers to tune in. If a lot of people believe Utah State is going to give us a run for the money or maybe even win, then they get more viewers. Otherwise it's only UT and Utah ST watching. I think Utah State will make a good game of it, with the Vols making it a 10-14 point win in the end.

Honestly I dont think its about viewers. This is a low risk/reward pick. Since neither Tennessee nor Utah State is currently a team with national presence or impact, they will go out on a limb to predict an upset. And if they are wrong, nobody will be paying attention because nationally no one is paying attention to these two teams (except VolNation).

They will pick an upset in this game, but they will all "fall in line" with their predictions of Alabama's game because they dont want to risk looking bad on a game that has impact on the national championship picture.

Reactions: 1 person
You were close ESPN...okay, not so much. Stick to covering the sports once they're finished. LOLOLOLOL!!!

Some gold from this thread....

It doesn't surprise me. I think it will be a close ballgame , decided by a field goal. A lose would be worse for the TN program than it would Utah State. TN's chances to get to a bowl would basically be wiped out with a lose.

Don't assume anything just based on the name on the jersey. Utah St is a decent football team. I expect it to be relatively close.

Reactions: 3 people
Now they are so busy trying to stir up crap about Sam getting cut by scrolling every thing that happens to him and guess what nobody gives a damn

I don't understand why it seems to be so much more newsworthy when someone gets cut just because he likes D instead of P.

Reactions: 5 people
How anyone could determine that Utah State was a good team when they are ranked about 100 in recruiting every year? Their talent level definitely showed last night. Tennessee handled that team exactly the way they should have....they curb stomped them.

How anyone could determine that Utah State was a good team when they are ranked about 100 in recruiting every year? Their talent level definitely showed last night. Tennessee handled that team exactly the way they should have....they curb stomped them.

And yet every pundit in the nation and his kid sister picked the Vols to lose.

Vol fans knew the kinds of recruits Butch has brought in, but now everyone else in the country does too.

Reactions: 1 person
You guys realize espn did us a favor. They made it seem like a close game so people would watch. Then we put the beat Dow on a team that thy said we should have lost to.

Remember all the rival fan bases pooing themselves after our game.

Also this could make teams not overlook us. But I'll take the 'good publicity'.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back