Opening practice - 2014

That's 3-4 qbs throwing route after route to 15 wrs, at minimum.

Agreed, I'd like to know how many balls Worley and Dobbs threw that were on the ground from being off target out of that total. Ainge said Worley was really accurate last night with his throws.

Daniel Lewis from RTI did some Q&A in the comment section under the RTI vidoe linked earlier in the thread and this comment in particular stood out to me...

When asked who he thought the fastest player on defense was

"Good question. On defense, it might be Emmanuel Moseley. Evan Berry, Malik Foreman, Cam Sutton, D’Andre Payne, Devaun Swafford and Rashaan Gaulden can all really move too.
I’ll let Houston weigh in on offense since he spent most of the evening watching them last night."

Pretty telling that every one of those guys are first or second year players and all but one (sutton) was recruited and landed by the new coaching staff.

Reactions: 3 people
Way too long til football starts!!! I thought this would curb my appetite, but it has just made it worse.

Reactions: 1 person
Daniel Lewis from RTI did some Q&A in the comment section under the RTI vidoe linked earlier in the thread and this comment in particular stood out to me...

When asked who he thought the fastest player on defense was

"Good question. On defense, it might be Emmanuel Moseley. Evan Berry, Malik Foreman, Cam Sutton, D’Andre Payne, Devaun Swafford and Rashaan Gaulden can all really move too.
I’ll let Houston weigh in on offense since he spent most of the evening watching them last night."

Pretty telling that every one of those guys are first or second year players and all but one (sutton) was recruited and landed by the new coaching staff.

Interesting, the word on Swafford last year was that he wasn't that fast.

Those of you who listen to Ainge's opinion on QBs...

Erik Ainge@ErikAinge3 39m
The only thing I really took from practice yesterday was this... Justin Worley threw the **** out of the football! Accuracy $$$ Ask Swain!!

Erik Ainge@ErikAinge3 42s
"@Carlbowers85: @ErikAinge3 that good Huh?" No joke. Swain and I stood there for 2 hours jaw dropped at the passes he was making...1 day tho

I can't help but wonder if Butch downplays the QB position sometimes. He said at media days that he thinks that it'll be a strength of our team, but when camp starts, he almost never has anything positive to say about the position. They're not accurate enough, too many grounded throws, nobody has taken hold of the position yet...

I just wonder if he purposefully speaks negatively or downplays the QB position. Because for Ainge and Swain to watch two hours and come away with the impression they did, you sure don't hear ANY of that, nor would you have guessed ANY of that from Butch's words.

Butch always seems to have positive things to say except in the QB position. I wonder if he's trying to keep too much pressure off of these guys, by anointing them too early. QB is one position you don't want to hype here at the University of Tennessee. Because if you are hyped, and you suck, we will bash you. It's better to come in with low expectations and exceed them, then we'll be happier with you.

Reactions: 4 people
Because they see the players every day and judged Walls wasn't a fit at DT.

Maybe... except he had played effectively in the SEC as a DT before. So had Miller.

My guess is more along the lines of what someone else suggested here recently... They were letting the SRs play it out while they made the more foundational changes. I'm just looking for a better suggestion if someone has one. Not condemning.

I can't help but wonder if Butch downplays the QB position sometimes. He said at media days that he thinks that it'll be a strength of our team, but when camp starts, he almost never has anything positive to say about the position. They're not accurate enough, too many grounded throws, nobody has taken hold of the position yet...

I just wonder if he purposefully speaks negatively or downplays the QB position. Because for Ainge and Swain to watch two hours and come away with the impression they did, you sure don't hear ANY of that, nor would you have guessed ANY of that from Butch's words.

Butch always seems to have positive things to say except in the QB position. I wonder if he's trying to keep too much pressure off of these guys, by anointing them too early. QB is one position you don't want to hype here at the University of Tennessee. Because if you are hyped, and you suck, we will bash you. It's better to come in with low expectations and exceed them, then we'll be happier with you.

EVERYONE has room for improvement.

Impossible news on Worley. The know it alls said his arm is weak and he can't make the throws.
He's needed confidence and to step into throws. Now, let's see If he can carry it over. I looked great on the practice range yesterday but went David Duval when it counted.

:lolabove:

Agree with you. People have been selling Worley short for a long time now. I hope he has the kind of season that will send some folks here scrambling for a new screen name.

Reactions: 2 people
That stat is only from route vs air drills. I'm sure there were other situational drills as well. You think the qbs only made 64 passes in a two hour practice?

Just referencing what was reported and posted on here. The math certainly seems a little off.....there's a disconnect somewhere

My guess... he very much liked what he saw yesterday and is trying to keep it under wraps by downplaying their performance in public. That's a classic coach move. If you think you might have a good team, don't talk about it so you can surprise some people on the field. The OBC was doing that this year at Media Days.

My guess... he very much liked what he saw yesterday and is trying to keep it under wraps by downplaying their performance in public. That's a classic coach move. If you think you might have a good team, don't talk about it so you can surprise some people on the field. The OBC was doing that this year at Media Days.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Obviously, yes, a lot of room for improvement. But if Ainge and Swain have that much of a positive reaction on Worley after watching for 2 hours, there has to be some downplaying going on.

Hopefully the improvement is legitimate, and can be seen on the field during live situations. Will be interested to see the first scrimmage.

Nonsense!

It's completely irrelevant there was no opposition and no pads.

Those who haven't made their reservations for the SEC CG after the 1st day are complete nega-Vols! :crazy:

Seriously, it appears to be a new attitude on the Hill. Let's hope it stays around for a while. :good!:

:thumbsup:

Jones tends to treat his players as "groups". His comments about the generic QB group could be because one had a bad day... while the others were near perfect. That might be helping to keep the QB competition from becoming a "controversy". All have to perform or in his eyes they all get criticized.

At Media Days... he was talking about the guys he expects to play... Worley for sure and maybe Dobbs.

I can only hope the line does what its suppose to do.

The WR core is going to be fun to watch for sure.

Cant double them all.

Maybe... except he had played effectively in the SEC as a DT before. So had Miller.

My guess is more along the lines of what someone else suggested here recently... They were letting the SRs play it out while they made the more foundational changes. I'm just looking for a better suggestion if someone has one. Not condemning.
Walls was always an end though. Go back and check 2011 and 2012 depth charts. Miller played some DT in 2011 when our depth there was razor thin, but 3/4 seasons he played DE. UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football

IMO "the coaches didn't like what he gave them at DT" seems like a more rational suggestion than unfounded speculation about the coaches giving deference to upperclassmen.

It is worth noting though, that the coaches did line up either Miller or Walls (want remember which one) at DT for some pass rushing situations. This was usually when Vereen would make his way onto the field.

Reminds me of the days when Bear Bryant would poor mouth his team, then they would come out and
kick a$$.

IMO he's a niche short yardage player only... if that. They've clearly gone a different direction with the DL.

Is he just slow or to big, just wanted to know why you think there going in a different direction? I'll hang up and listen

VN Store

Back