OU Position Group Comparisons

It's fun to argue position groups, but Baker Mayfield will not directly face Josh Dobbs. it's. About facing the other side of the ball. Even at that you will not find out which RB group is better. They aren't facing the same defenses. As Butch would say EVERYTHING is about .....who plays better not who is better. (The last part he didn't say, that's me).

QB: Vols, Dobbs has better mobility and may make better decisions.
RB: OU, Mixon, Perine, Ross, Brooks slightly beats out Heard and AK
WR: OU: Shepard, Westbrook. Many other notables slightly beats out north and company
O-Line: Even nothing to say much here but they are both slightly below average-average (Weakest position for both teams.)
DT: Vols, have the potential to be the best in SEC this year.
DE: Even
OLB: OU, Eric Striker
MLB: OU, OU is quite deep at this position rn
CB: Even. Sanchez (Best b12 corner) vs our two really good corners
S: Vols, OU was terrible here last year but Kerry Cooks imo will whip OU's group into shape.
ST: OU (best kick returner and a really good kicker and punter.)

No offense but this is way off.

Our DTs will likely NOT be the best in the SEC, but our DEs will most likely be the best in the COUNTRY. So the DE advantage goes to Tennessee for sure while the DTs is probably closer to even. And Wide Receiver...you named off two guys. We have 6 elite guys at the very least. Pearson, North, Howard, Williams, Smith, Jennings, Johnson, and Croom (will be out for a few weeks though). All these guys would start for almost any other college in the country and be premier players.

I am a big fan of Phil Steele.His unit rankings as it relates to the Vol and Sooners are as follows:
QB: OK/19; UT/38
RB: OK/3; UT/25
WR: OK/14; UT/15
OL: OK/33; UT/30
DL: OK/26; UT/25
LB: OK/6; UT/25
DB: OK/10; UT/17
ST: OK/NA; UT/44

OU did not make the top 48 in special teams.

No offense but this is way off.

Our DTs will likely NOT be the best in the SEC, but our DEs will most likely be the best in the COUNTRY. So the DE advantage goes to Tennessee for sure while the DTs is probably closer to even. And Wide Receiver...you named off two guys. We have 6 elite guys at the very least. Pearson, North, Howard, Williams, Smith, Jennings, Johnson, and Croom (will be out for a few weeks though). All these guys would start for almost any other college in the country and be premier players.

last year UT had 1 receiver (pig) w more than 400 yards, and he had 1 TD. So really no elite receivers last year. There are reasons for this-mostly injuries, and partly qb play.

I think North, Malone, and down the line Preston williams can be elite. pig is a consistent, versatile playmaker, but probably not elite. Jennings is def. one to watch and could become elite.

OU has sterling shepherd who was having an all American season last year before becoming injured, 900 yards in 7 games.
Newcomers Dede Westbrook is elite and a few freshman could become elite Andrews and others. The rest are solid players for both side.

I am a big fan of Phil Steele.His unit rankings as it relates to the Vol and Sooners are as follows:
QB: OK/19; UT/38
RB: OK/3; UT/25
WR: OK/14; UT/15
OL: OK/33; UT/30
DL: OK/26; UT/25
LB: OK/6; UT/25
DB: OK/10; UT/17
ST: OK/NA; UT/44

OU did not make the top 48 in special teams.

Good for you. I think it was also Steele who left Barnett off of his SEC team. He had Garrett 1st team even though the vast majority of his record breaking sacks came against Rice, Lamar, and ULM.

Reactions: 1 person
From the OU perspective.....

QB: Vol
RB: OU
WR: even
OL: VOL
DL: even
LB: OU
DB: Vol
ST: OU

Our OL is our biggest question mark, followed by our secondary.
If we truly have an advantage at O-Line this game is over.....seriously because if we have a better D-line and better O-line it gets really ugly. After facing our D-line in practice facing anything less is going to be a cakewalk fro those guys. The same holds true on the other side if they are worse than our O-line you guys better have 7 QB's suited up.

I honestly do not think our O-line will be bad this year just average and honestly, that is all we need..for now

If we truly have an advantage at O-Line this game is over.....seriously because if we have a better D-line and better O-line it gets really ugly. After facing our D-line in practice facing anything less is going to be a cakewalk fro those guys. The same holds true on the other side if they are worse than our O-line you guys better have 7 QB's suited up.

I honestly do not think our O-line will be bad this year just average and honestly, that is all we need..for now

We will have to see if UT has a dominate DL. The non freshman tackles are average, the DE position is as good as it gets. Tuttle and Mckenzie are 5 star players out of hs. Will they be dominate right away? Will they be able to play w an uptempo team, when they may have to play lots of snaps in a row.

OU has more proven guys on the DL. Charles Tapper in my opinion is better than Khalil in week 2this yr. down the line. Km. for sure.

We will have to see if UT has a dominate DL. The non freshman tackles are average, the DE position is as good as it gets. Tuttle and Mckenzie are 5 star players out of hs. Will they be dominate right away? Will they be able to play w an uptempo team, when they may have to play lots of snaps in a row.

OU has more proven guys on the DL. Charles Tapper in my opinion is better than Khalil in week 2this yr. down the line. Km. for sure.
The problem is Barnett and Magitt they are so good that we DT's are improved just by them being on the field. I agree you have more proven guys but the total talent gap is a lot bigger than one might think. Our D-line only has to stay healthy to be elite thats a fact. All we need with the ends we have are average DT's. Every guy in the rotation at that position can be average on a bad day.

TLDR version the talent we have at DE will allow our youth at DT to be mitigated and their talent to shine through.

Reactions: 2 people
My point is that Steele is as good a place as any to benchmark from. His numbers tell me these 2 teams are pretty even.

And you lose that point with a guy who somehow forgets a guy who was second in sacks vs the SEC (10) (behind Maggitt (11)). Ray was 3rd with 7.5 sacks and was good enough to leave early for the NFL. Garrett.... was 17th with 3.5 sacks vs the SEC.

None of the preseason mag previews do a very in depth look. They go off popular media reports. But something like that calls into question the quality of Steele's work overall.

Reactions: 2 people
And you lose that point with a guy who somehow forgets a guy who was second in sacks vs the SEC (10) (behind Maggitt (11)). Ray was 3rd with 7.5 sacks and was good enough to leave early for the NFL. Garrett.... was 17th with 3.5 sacks vs the SEC.

None of the preseason mag previews do a very in depth look. They go off popular media reports. But something like that calls into question the quality of Steele's work overall.

Steele actually came out later and said he had made a mistake, saying DB was worthy of 1 st team. Although it was after Vol fans bombarded him w emails. Haha.

So you are chastising someone for homerism while being at least somewhat of a homer? If UT gets a possible slight edge at QB then the best OU should get at RB is the same. Perine had a great season but I'm sure Hurd would have loved to have had a KU on the schedule so to say that is such a clear edge for OU...

I guess my point is that you make a post that is almost purely subjective and then bristle that a UT fan without split loyalties would disagree with you.

Knock 300 yards off of the KU game and he still rushes for 1300 yards. What Perine did as a FR can't be discounted.

Reactions: 1 person
Steele actually came out later and said he had made a mistake, saying DB was worthy of 1 st team. Although it was after Vol fans bombarded him w emails. Haha.

Yeah. I think you see my point though. Steele's rankings and especially concerning UT's DL weren't exactly "on point" this year.

Knock 300 yards off of the KU game and he still rushes for 1300 yards. What Perine did as a FR can't be discounted.

I wasn't throwing off on him. My point was that Hurd would have looked a lot better if he'd had a few conference D's to run against comparable to KU late in the season after he got in a groove.

OU's receiver corps is healthy and will be better according to reports in their fall camp. I think Perine is right there with Chubb in ability and Mixon seems to be wowing them in fall camp. The OC is pass happy but with these running backs they should eventually be balanced throughout the year. If their OL is decent they may be very difficult to stop for our defense (our strength, I think). This sets up to be a great game if we have steadily improved from last season.

Honestly, I think the RB match up is really hard to predict until we see how the OL match up goes. Both teams have unquestioned talent at RB, but huge questions along the OL. Hopefully we will have some answers about our line after the BG game.

Honestly, I think the RB match up is really hard to predict until we see how the OL match up goes. Both teams have unquestioned talent at RB, but huge questions along the OL. Hopefully we will have some answers about our line after the BG game.

I agree with what you are saying. My thing about this game that scares me is that OU has experience and talent from their seniors on down. We have equal talent if not greater in some positions but they have been together longer and completely know their roles. Experience is huge in a game like this. Vols eek out a close one at home if everything is clicking.

Thing about Perine is he's so shifty and quick at 240. He's hard to bring down, rarely goes down at first contact, very intelligent
And can hit a small seam. He's nfl ready practically. We saw whah he did last year. Several people including coaches have said Mixon has the best skill set of a rb they've ever seen. Ive seen his video and well I'm real excited to see what he and Perine can do with a good Tennessee defense. It's a great barometer.

VN Store

Back