Peeking Ahead to 2018: The Roster

nice post 82...when the new coaching staff takes over we all may be surprised at the changes in personnel and positions that may take effect...should be interesting...will be lots of changes, no doubt...hope they're all good...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
From utsports roster

Colton Jumper
COLTON JUMPER
POSITION LB
HT./WT. 6-2 / 229
CLASS Senior
HOMETOWN Lookout Mountain, Tenn.
HIGH SCHOOL Baylor School
PREV SCHOOL The Hun School (NJ)

I've been saying for a while that there's plenty of talent to work with. If we can get the right coach in here we can bounce back next year. Not to the level that we all want, but definitely something to build on.

He was approved for a redshirt this past Spring...I want to say it was medical for an earlier year.

He's a RSJr and at the very least quality depth.

I was looking forward to seeing an actual D1 Linebacker get most of the snaps next year. Watching Bituli,Sapp,Ell.Berry makes me sick thinking he gets more PT than they do.

Bituli impressed me all year, when healthy enough to play. But last night that man showed another level. He was hurt twice and then returned with a more fierce performance. He is going to be a DOMINATING presence next year against the run.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought Ell. Berry looks pretty good out there. He tackles hard and has decent speed/acceleration. I think he would be a better MLB than Jumper.

Wish I could share your optimism, but to be honest, I don't think much of this roster especially and specifically at QB and the LOS on both sides of the ball. Maybe we do have the quality of talent and it's simply a matter of coaching and conditioning, but I guess my battered vol syndrome won't let me believe. I've watched every change since Dickey was given the job and remain convinced that a roster must be turned over. I don't see a quick turn around. Instead, I consider it to be at least two full recruiting classes before a team begins to transition into what it will be under the new coaching staff. Realistically, a change of mindset and culture likely will take far longer. I'm not buying the Vols right now. I'm seeing another losing season next year. Maybe a bowl in 2019.

Stating the obvious here, but the next hire is critical. We need a man of great inner strength and character who will get the respect from these players. He needs to be a what you see is what you get kind of guy. A coach who will treat every player exactly the same. One who will give a position and playing time based on what was earned in practice and not based on some recruiting pitch and promise. This game is and always will be about team over the individual. I see no logic behind beginning a relationship with a recruit by focusing on the individual over team. Makes no sense and it make unrecruiting him after he arrives on campus so much more difficult.

We need a guy who will be secure enough to surround himself with an exceptional staff not his buddies or guys he simply feels comfortable with. A guy who will attract like minded, high character players and coaches. I'm a firm believer that a team will be a reflection of the head coach. It starts and ends at the top.

So for me, next year is about laying a foundation. I have no expectations of a winning season much less anything "special" in terms of a rapid turn around. Might as well get settled in. Got a long, rough road ahead. Flame away.

Wish I could share your optimism, but to be honest, I don't think much of this roster especially and specifically at QB and the LOS on both sides of the ball. Maybe we do have the quality of talent and it's simply a matter of coaching and conditioning, but I guess my battered vol syndrome won't let me believe. I've watched every change since Dickey was given the job and remain convinced that a roster must be turned over. I don't see a quick turn around. Instead, I consider it to be at least two full recruiting classes before a team begins to transition into what it will be under the new coaching staff. Realistically, a change of mindset and culture likely will take far longer. I'm not buying the Vols right now. I'm seeing another losing season next year. Maybe a bowl in 2019.

Stating the obvious here, but the next hire is critical. We need a man of great inner strength and character who will get the respect from these players. He needs to be a what you see is what you get kind of guy. A coach who will treat every player exactly the same. One who will give a position and playing time based on what was earned in practice and not based on some recruiting pitch and promise. This game is and always will be about team over the individual. I see no logic behind beginning a relationship with a recruit by focusing on the individual over team. Makes no sense and it make unrecruiting him after he arrives on campus so much more difficult.

We need a guy who will be secure enough to surround himself with an exceptional staff not his buddies or guys he simply feels comfortable with. A guy who will attract like minded, high character players and coaches. I'm a firm believer that a team will be a reflection of the head coach. It starts and ends at the top.

So for me, next year is about laying a foundation. I have no expectations of a winning season much less anything "special" in terms of a rapid turn around. Might as well get settled in. Got a long, rough road ahead. Flame away.

I'll start the flame. lol

Post is well thought out out, but the thinking is just so old school. You must be in your 60's or 70's.

Its been seem time and again in recent years how a coach can come in and turn a team around in one season. Heck, Brohm, Kiffin, Campbell, and Frost have all made impressive one year turnarounds in the past two seasons. These turnarounds were with existing talent as well. Of course a new coach will bring transfers and new players to the fold. But the facts remain, that the talent level at UT is pretty darn high. National and local analysts have all confirmed this in recent weeks. A national title is not realistic for next year, but a 9-10 win season is well within reason.

I'll start the flame. lol

Post is well thought out out, but the thinking is just so old school. You must be in your 60's or 70's.

Its been seem time and again in recent years how a coach can come in and turn a team around in one season. Heck, Brohm, Kiffin, Campbell, and Frost have all made impressive one year turnarounds in the past two seasons. These turnarounds were with existing talent as well. Of course a new coach will bring transfers and new players to the fold. But the facts remain, that the talent level at UT is pretty darn high. National and local analysts have all confirmed this in recent weeks. A national title is not realistic for next year, but a 9-10 win season is well within reason.

Not a chance. None of those overnight turnarounds included a UT schedule. Next season we are blessed with Auburn in addition to our usual gauntlet. No way am I expecting much in year one. 6-6 or 7-5 would be a good year.

The 2018 roster, unless we somehow sign 7-8 immediate impact true freshmen at key positions, is generally a mess.

The thought of a healthy Kirkland and Bituli makes me happy... as does McKenzie, Tuttle, Kongbo and Phillips living up to their billing.

O-line scares me to death... we really really need Cade Mays.

With you on Kirkland and Bituli...I’d add Sapp to those two, he’s played well this year. Don’t share your thoughts on KMac, Tuttle, Kongbo and Phillips....seen enough of all of them, they can’t play at a high SEC level, these 4 guys can provide depth maybe, next guys/starters up imho. Love Warrior and Gaulden as well, we’re still screwed at corner unless Shamberger can take a big step forward and another unknown quantity matches him on the other side.

Don’t know what to say about the OL....no hope in the foreseeable future....takes 5 studs working in tandem there....right now it’s Trey Smith and some other kids that can’t play in the SEC.

The 2018 roster, unless we somehow sign 7-8 immediate impact true freshmen at key positions, is generally a mess.

Listened to an xsec coach the other day on PF(I think it was Tubbeville SP?). He said that coaches really don't out coach each other in the sec. It's all about talent on your roster. In other words recruiting. If that is true, we will be losing to UGA and Bama for a long time.:cray:

Listened to an xsec coach the other day on PF(I think it was Tubbeville SP?). He said that coaches really don't out coach each other in the sec. It's all about talent on your roster. In other words recruiting. If that is true, we will be losing to UGA and Bama for a long time.:cray:

We’ve recruited as well as Clemson has the past few years, why aren’t we as successful as them ? Butch has been out of his league since he was hired..

Is there any way Boulware comes back? He is still enrolled correct?

Interesting thought, Mitzustu. I don't see any reason he couldn't change his mind.

But has the irritant that caused him to bail been mitigated? If the irritant was Butch or one of the other coaches or a departing player (Jack Jones?), sure. If it was his inability to get playing time because the other fellas were better than him, maybe the situation hasn't changed at all--from his perspective.

Al, I think he said something about that in the past 72 hours. That he'd be back in 2018. Didn't he?

I don't know but last I heard (from Deerpark as best I can remember) is that he wouldn't be. The word was he was looking to the draft and wasn't going to class. Looks like that may have been incorrect info which would be a good thing for Jennings.

Reactions: 1 person
Hope Jumper is back. Not sure why everyone seems to beat him down. A true VFL and the Dale Jones-type mentality. Jennings stated he was coming back this past week. What we need most on OL is guys who know the snap count!!!!!!

Hope Jumper is back. Not sure why everyone seems to beat him down. A true VFL and the Dale Jones-type mentality. Jennings stated he was coming back this past week. What we need most on OL is guys who know the snap count!!!!!!

May have the Jones mentality but lacks Jones talent.

VN Store

Back