Per Austin Price - expect Shrout to get the nod tomorrow

I'm all in with Shrout. Guy has a cannon. Amazing how just a few extra inches or feet can impact the game. His deep throw to Palmer was just a shade underthrown vs Bama or else it would have been housed for a TD.

One thing is for sure and that is Chaney is 1/1 working with young QB's this year in regards to Maurer. I would consider Shrout just like Maurer since he redshirted.

All Shrout needs is the right game plan:

Short passes to get his feet under him and hand the ball off to Jordan. Big backs in the rain all day long.

Short passes and roll the pocket. He has the arm strength to sling it but one thing that could hurt him is drop back after drop back where he has time to make poor choices. Regardless, I'm all in on Shrout.

Agreed. Last year yes, absolutely, he was by far our best option.

This year?...he’s gone from a fairly solid, mistake free QB who could occasionally elevate his play to a high level and win some games (auburn and Kentucky), to an absolute bust who not only doesn’t help you win but who actually causes you to lose.

Gotta start Shrout and see what you have with him, see what he can do. And the only way JG sees the field is if Shrout’s play is catastrophic.

Given this year and his drop off, I can't say that JG was night and day better than Keller. I think Pruitt was willing to throw away year 1 because he knew he had JG for atleast 2 seasons minimum to do his rebuild with.

Looking back, I don't think we lose any more games than 7 last year with Keller starting them all. I do think we could prolly win one or two more though with Keller.

Pruitt is definitely in a tough spot making this call, assuming (as all signs point toward) that Mauer is a no go. This game is massive in possibly salvaging a bowl appearance, building momentum towards the back end of the schedule, and showing signs of improvement to potential recruits. If he starts JG, and we lose (especially if his play on the field contributes to the loss), I fear he will lose the locker room as well as the fan base and the season starts to take a downward turn.

I think he has to roll with Shrout starting, see how the game and his play progresses, and go from there. If he plays poorly and the game is swinging in USCjr's favor, then and only then do you put JG in the game. I think most of us could live with that scenario that we've tried all possibilities at QB to try and win the game.

..... or Shrout could ball out and we win the game.

Reactions: sjt18
Dude, dont confuse me as a JG apologist. I simply think that it’s too much to ask a guy to make his 1st start in sloppy conditions. Maurer is, by far, head and shoulders, years, tons better than JG.
Because??? Did we tell him when we recruited him that he’d only have to play on sunny days?!If you’re a QB it’s your job to be ready! AT All Times

Reactions: cbatey1
If he wasn’t going to continue to play his way why didn’t he have a great day at practice Monday? When reality is he had the worst day of all the QB and even that’s being nice.

It’s time to wake up and face facts: he tried to be the hero and it went bad fast. With the comments from other players I’m still shocked there wasn’t a fight after the game.

You could tell he had the worst day by a few minutes of video? Why your at it quote the Comments by the players.

If we have any player on the field who thinks they can't win with JG name them. If the Players,Coaches, staff, are for JG playing it's very puzzling to me why the so called fans can't get behind him. If we have any so called fans who boo any player they are punks who know nothing about the game and don't deserve to be associated with Tennessee.
I believe true fans are part of the team and if they are not 100% behind that team they are the ones going rogue.

As far as the blunder by JG there is not a person on here who knows what actually transpired on that play. So here's a novel idea for a fan, root for JG if he gets in the game.

Reactions: PACKERVOL
Maybe my azlmentia is kicking in, but his does sound somewhat familiar. Just sayin, Go Vols!!!!!

1994 season
See also: 1994 Tennessee Volunteers football team
As a freshman, Manning began the season as the third-string quarterback.[20] In the season opener against UCLA, Manning was one of three quarterbacks to come off the bench after starter Jerry Colquitt suffered a season-ending injury on the seventh play of the game. However, Manning was not able to generate any offense, only handing the ball off three times, and was pulled from the game.[21] Two weeks later, in a 31–0 loss to the #1 Florida Gators, Manning completed his first collegiate pass. During the season's fourth game, against Mississippi State, starter Todd Helton got injured and Manning took over.[22] The Vols lost 24–21, but Manning threw his first touchdown in the game.[23] He was named the team's starter and remained so for the rest of his college career.[24] In his first start, the following week against Washington State, the Vols won 10–9. They won all but one of their remaining games, finishing the season 8–4 with a 45–23 victory over Virginia Tech in the 1994 Gator Bowl.[25][26][27][28] He finished his first collegiate season 89 of 144 for 1,141 passing yards, 11 touchdowns, and six interceptions.[29]

...at least until his first interception?

Really hope it works out well for him (and us). He has a good arm. Key is not forcing it when there is no opening. I suspect we will lean heavy on the running game though and aim to have him toss it down field just enough to keep them from loading the box like they do with JG.
I imagine playing in the rain, they will try and run more. Hope we can win in the trenches. This could be a slug fest.

I'm not for booing the kid, but as far as we know last Saturday he completely ignored his coaches and screwed the team over. He shouldn't be allowed to see the field ever again.
IF we hear loud booing when JG is in the game that becomes the narrative win or lose. Utterly unthinkable to boo a player and it may be the stupidest, most juvenile, childish response a "fan" can have! It's akin to someone blowing their car horn at a passing motorist as if that reaction will somehow change ANYTHING. So hopefully Neyland stadium will be much more classy and mature than to rain down boos on a player.

Anybody ever think JG may intentionally screw it up?

No. What nonsense. There isn't one iota of evidence that JG has ever played poorly on purpose. His screw ups were never intentional and it is really low to suggest otherwise. This isn't a bad kid. He's just not a very good D1 QB. Big difference.

Does this shock anyone? The fumble that blew out chances at Bama was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyone can audible into a bad play and fumble. Doesn't take a Hiesman candidate to do that. Might as well prep for next year and JG is not part of next year's plan.

VN Store

Back