Perine vs Barnett (merged)

I assume everyone knows that Perine (Pee rine) was a true freshman last year too. His top end speed is not exceptional....in the 4.5's but for a guy his size he has amazingly quick feet and with his relatively low center of gravity he is very hard to bring down. You have to hit him low.

Yeah, given that Barnett was playing his third career collegiate game as a true freshman last year at OU, and wound up performing quite well (10 sacks, 21.5 TFLs, 72 TFLs) vs some of the top OTs in the country before the season was done, we all feel quite comfortable with the idea that we'll see much more of the former rather than the latter.

Oh, I am sure you were aware that was also Perine's 3rd collegiate game as well. Wound up performing quite well in his own right. Not that your guy isnt good, our guy is good too. Should be fun.

Oh, I am sure you were aware that was also Perine's 3rd collegiate game as well. Wound up performing quite well in his own right. Not that your guy isnt good, our guy is good too. Should be fun.

Surely you'll agree that adapting to the collegiate game is just a touch easier at running back than it is at right defensive end in general.....especially when you consider he played vs the other team's best OL every game. We see freshmen rbs come in and put up great numbers all the time (no slight to Perine, kid is a beast and we'll have our hands more than full dealing with him for sure)....true freshman defensive ends battling left tackles and putting up outstanding production?.....not so much.

Last edited:

Our guy had his best games against the heart of our schedule. Your guy had his best games against cupcakes.

Both are good...I'll stick with what we got. I'd rather have the player with a history of dominating good teams, than a player with a history of dominating garbage teams.

Read that Perine bench pressed 275 20 times his freshman year. Wow how does this guy have so much strength, and that's 275 not 225 that most college athletes do.

I have no doubt that Perine is an outstanding RB...but I hope it take him about 3 days before he can taste his food after "9" puts the smackdown on him.

Surely you'll agree that adapting to the collegiate game is just a touch easier at running back than it is at right defensive end in general.....especially when you consider he played vs the other team's best OL every game. We see freshmen rbs come in and put up great numbers all the time (no slight to Perine, kid is a beast and we'll have our hands more than full dealing with him for sure)....true freshman defensive ends battling left tackles and putting up outstanding production?.....not so much.

It's probably more common to see more good running backs, but they get all the publicity anyway. For example I bet more people have heard of Perine than Barnett. Perhaps they'll both be all americans, and maybe they'll even face off. But you cant go one arm tackling Perine and expect him to go down.

Our guy had his best games against the heart of our schedule. Your guy had his best games against cupcakes.

Both are good...I'll stick with what we got. I'd rather have the player with a history of dominating good teams, than a player with a history of dominating garbage teams.

Cool, game on.

Read that Perine bench pressed 275 20 times his freshman year. Wow how does this guy have so much strength, and that's 275 not 225 that most college athletes do.

I havent heard that one. From what I heard it was 10 sets of 10. Maybe it was 225 at 10 sets of 10 too.

It's probably more common to see more good running backs, but they get all the publicity anyway. For example I bet more people have heard of Perine than Barnett. Perhaps they'll both be all americans, and maybe they'll even face off. But you cant go one arm tackling Perine and expect him to go down

Somebody get him the Dylan Thompson assault footage...Mr. Barnett kills his prey with both arms fine sir. :hi:

Somebody get him the Dylan Thompson assault footage...Mr. Barnett kills his prey with both arms fine sir. :hi:

I'm sure he does...

6_3091582.jpg

hi-res-a66edcfe99d0be8531ee2aaebdb0451f_crop_north.jpg

I'm sure he does...

6_3091582.jpg

hi-res-a66edcfe99d0be8531ee2aaebdb0451f_crop_north.jpg

Nice pic of your OT holding Barnett....pretty sure he can't wrap that left arm completely around a defensive player like that....also pretty sure that hold wasn't called. Appreciate the props to Barnett though...looks like he's gonna trip your RB while pretty much being tackled by your OT

Reactions: 1 person
Nice pic of your OT holding Barnett....pretty sure he can't wrap that left arm completely around a defensive player like that....also pretty sure that hold wasn't called. Appreciate the props to Barnett though...looks like he's gonna trip your RB while pretty much being tackled by your OT

I disagree, It doesnt look like holding to me. Doesnt look like his arm is wrapped around his back, that's a pad under his jersey as a part of his uniform (you can see it in the other photo as well) but i can see how it would appear to be the OT's hand. That said, I bet you can find a way to call blocking on almost every snap if you looked hard enough. At any rate you wont tackle big boys like Perine and Hurd with one arm.

I disagree, It doesnt look like holding to me. Doesnt look like his arm is wrapped around his back, that's a pad under his jersey as a part of his uniform (you can see it in the other photo as well) but i can see how it would appear to be the OT's hand. That said, I bet you can find a way to call blocking on almost every snap if you looked hard enough. At any rate you wont tackle big boys like Perine and Hurd with one arm.

Come on Toke. Yeah, you could probably call holding on every play, no doubt. And from the looks of this OT who has his left arm wrapped around Barnett's back (we can't see the right arm so only God knows where it is), it clearly should've been called here. Agree also that most guys aren't tackling Perine or Hurd with one arm....just saying that Barnett probably has use of 2 arms if that big OT wasn't tackling him there. Anywho, just a little friendly debate. It's all good.

Loving all the smack. We haven't had enough of this because of the off season. Is OU bringing their little wagon and ponies to Neyland?

Loving all the smack. We haven't had enough of this because of the off season. Is OU bringing their little wagon and ponies to Neyland?

I doubt the Sooner Schooner will be there. Don't want TN fans at Neyland going cucoo for coacoa puffs thinking Alabamans are invading. :)

I doubt the Sooner Schooner will be there. Don't want TN fans at Neyland going cucoo for coacoa puffs thinking Alabamans are invading. :)

Bud, Bud, Bud.....don't lower yourself to Alabama's level in any way, knowingly or unknowingly. We hold the OU program and their fans in much, much, much higher regard than the lowly Bammers. Just a little heads up.

Bud, Bud, Bud.....don't lower yourself to Alabama's level in any way, knowingly or unknowingly. We hold the OU program and their fans in much, much, much higher regard than the lowly Bammers. Just a little heads up.

Oh, my apologies. We just hope we don't see another angry fan like the Bama fan at the Sugar Bowl that went MMA on us.

Oh, my apologies. We just hope we don't see another angry fan like the Bama fan at the Sugar Bowl that went MMA on us.

Wish I could guarantee you won't. Everybody has their crazies. Hope you have a great time in Knoxville and Neyland. Outside of the occasional drunken idiot, I believe you'll be treated well and respectfully.

If you ever have access to the SEC Network, check out the Paul Finebaum show...that guy was one of their pacifists!

VN Store

Back