PERSPECTIVE

this is so old.

Folks, I have problems with the Tennessee admin based on across the board futility that shows they don’t know what they are doing.

But, they had no problem paying money and no problem firing people who did not perform.

And no one, and I mean NO ONE, saw what Saban is doing at Alabama coming. There was nothing in his resume that showed anything close to this happening. Yes, that includes his time at LSU.

While it is true that NO ONE foresaw Alabama's total domination of NCAA football under Saban--his resume at LSU did give reason to believe that he would build a perennial powerhouse at Alabama and win a NC within 5 years at BAMA. But no sirree--I personally NEVER dreamed that he would dominate the way he has.

Concerning your remarks regarding Saban's LSU resume--all he did was take a program that was 108-96-6 from 1980 thru 1999 and win 48 of the next 64 games there--which would include 2 SEC championships and 1 NC in 4 short years. He also left the cupboard full with talent that proceeded under Les Miles to win the next 34 out of 40 games and another NC. If you're trying to convince anyone that Saban would not have won at least another NC if not 2 more under Saban if he would've remained at LSU--then you truly are delusional.

But all of those facts, once again, only serve as noise to distract from the main point of my original post--which is anything but old and is rock solid.

BAMA's administration hired a FB MAN and has allowed him to function as the CEO with complete authority and oversight over his program in order to run it HIS WAY.
And over the years--Saban has continued to grow and mature as the best FB coach in the NCAA.

UT's administration has, for the last 15 years since Dickey left, hired academic idiots who went AWAY from football men and hired Hamilton and Hart who proceeded to run our program into the ground by making extremely inexperienced and poor choices for Head Coaches of the program. The WORST was Kiffin because of the carnage he left behind... And Hamilton's approach pissed off more coaching prospects than he attracted....namely one Gary Patterson from TCU.

If you can't see that--then okay... We can agree to disagree....

Last edited:
Reactions: GRN1926 and SobeVol
While it is true that NO ONE foresaw Alabama's total domination of NCAA football under Saban--his resume at LSU did give reason to believe that he would build a perennial powerhouse at Alabama and win a NC within 5 years at BAMA. But no sirree--I personally NEVER dreamed that he would dominate the way he has.

Concerning your remarks regarding Saban's LSU resume--all he did was take a program that was 108-96-6 from 1980 thru 1999 and win 48 of the next 64 games there--which would include 2 SEC championships and 1 NC in 4 short years. He also left the cupboard full with talent that proceeded under Les Miles to win the next 34 out of 40 games and another NC. If you're trying to convince anyone that Saban would not have won at least another NC if not 2 more under Saban if he would've remained at LSU--then you truly are delusional.

But all of those facts, once again, only serve as noise to distract from the main point of my original post--which is anything but old and is rock solid.

BAMA's administration hired a FB MAN and has allowed him to function as the CEO with complete authority and oversight over his program in order to run it HIS WAY.
And over the years--Saban has continued to grow and mature as the best FB coach in the NCAA.

UT's administration has, for the last 15 years since Dickey left, hired academic idiots who went AWAY from football men and hired Hamilton and Hart who proceeded to run our program into the ground.

F

You need to include how Alabama screwed the pooch several times and that the original target to hire was not Saban. They went to Saban after striking out, or boosters got involved, or something.

They went through several garbage hires post Stallings.

Florida missed on Muschamp and McElwain and it wasn’t due to incompetent administration. They just got the wrong guys. It happens.

I just have a big dislike for Saban being used as example for anything because he is so outside the norm that it’s crazy. He makes Knute Rockne look like Derek Dooley. Just not a good example, IMO

I also think that at the time of the hire, Alabama’s Atheletic department, finally told their big boosters to take a hike when it came to the hiring of their next coach. They stopped taking any input or influence from their version of the Haslams and the like.

Reactions: SobeVol
What we ultimately saw out there today was the culmination of the difference between the administrations of the Univ. of Alabama and the administrators of the Univ. of Tennessee played out over the last 10-15 years.

Alabama's admin. INVESTED in their program by allowing and enabling their FOOTBALL guys to go out and hire the best coach in the game, SABAN.

We've been staggering through the wasteland of a bunch of academic idiots trying to run an athletic program by hiring the likes of CDD and CBJ. Make no mistake about it, this debacle can be traced all the way back to the change of administration that occurred when Doug Dickey retired as AD from UT.

I do believe hiring Coach Fulmer back as AD signaled positive changes in the administration that will allow us to get back to being competitive. And Fulmer's hiring of CJP was all about getting a FOOTBALL guy back in charge of the program. It will take a little more time, but if the administration will stay the he*& out of the way I think we'll return to being very competitive sooner rather than later.

GO VOLS!
Good post

You need to include how Alabama screwed the pooch several times and that the original target to hire was not Saban. They went to Saban after striking out, or boosters got involved, or something.

Florida missed on Muschamp and McElwain and it wasn’t due to incompetent administration. They just got the wrong guys. It happens.

I just have a big dislike for Saban being used as example for anything because he is so outside the norm that it’s crazy. He makes Knute Rockne look like Derek Dooley. Just not a good example, IMO
The UT admin has made crap basketball hires, baseball hires.... the university used to always be in the hunt for the all sports trophy, but overall has been a quagmire over the last 10-15 years..... this is MV's point

Satisfying to see Butch Jones emascualted with the Gatorade bath/cigar/celebration experience. Because regardless of how good of an intern he is he knows deep down that the Tide hung 50+ points on his guys again today.

Butch had less to do with Bama winning and more to do with Tennessee losing today.

Soak it in, Clown.

Saban said “It was nice seeing Butch get dumped on” I almost died.

The UT admin has made crap basketball hires, baseball hires.... the university used to always be in the hunt for the all sports trophy, but overall has been a quagmire over the last 10-15 years..... this is MV's point
It really has been baffling. They were always bargain shopping. I’m all for a great bargain but with certain things you get exactly what you pay for. Knoxville is a hotbed or baseball talent and we couldn’t get a top shelf coach? Sometimes lack of instate talent is an excuse in football but what’s the excuse in baseball then? There isn’t one. We definitely have had and may still have some admin issues. I’m talking above Fulmer. I’m not as familiar with those folks as some so hopefully the issues have been resolved.

When I was on another board that I believe was the first but is no more, there was a poster during the early to middle part of the last decade constantly berating the board and administration for its ineptitude. I can't remember his moniker, but he was always finishing his posts with a rhetorical question of what are the heads of UT doing with our football program. HIs remarks were irritating to almost everyone including myself, but he was right. We had people in charge of our sports program back then who were totally incompetent. What's incredible is how long it was allowed to stay in place and eventually destroy especially men's sports.

While it is true that NO ONE foresaw Alabama's total domination of NCAA football under Saban--his resume at LSU did give reason to believe that he would build a perennial powerhouse at Alabama and win a NC within 5 years at BAMA. But no sirree--I personally NEVER dreamed that he would dominate the way he has....

I knew we were in huge trouble when Rich Rod left Bammer at the alter and while all of us were laughing at the folks in Tuscalooser, they worked that miracle hiring of Satan. He has built a machine that has devoured the rest of the SEC. I'm tired of losing to him.

Kiffin, Dooley, Hart, Jones. All catastrophic hires for TN.

Don’t stop there. The list of bad hires at the President level, chancellor level, etc. This thing has been rotten from the head to the tail. And yes, the administration has a huge influence on what happens on the field. Boogereatin Check could hire Bill Belichek and choke the livin life out of him.

I agree with most of what your saying... I’ll have to say though that our administration as a whole is a lot more willing to settle for mediocrity than say your school... look no further than you guys firing a coach that won the sec east his first two years in the middle of his third year... yes you could tell Mac wasn’t an elite coach and some of what he did was because of the east being down, but that’s kind of my point... Florida saw it as fools gold and got rid of him.... we would have erected a statue of butch jones had he even won the east one time in his tenure here even though it would have been fools gold as well and even with all the cards stacked in his favor in 16... instead it took the guy sinking us to catastrophic lows before the admin was finally forced to oust him... maybe I’m just crazy but to me the commitment to win from Florida and Georgias admin is night and day from ours... our admin seems totally content as long as the money is coming in.. no sense of pride in the program at all, or at least it doesn’t feel like it.

You are correct--I didn't mention all of the attempts Alabama made to hire "THE GUY" before they went after Saban.
Your hatred for Bama and Saban are truly shining brightly.

Dubose wasn't good...but it convinced them to look beyond "BAMA MEN" to hire Franchione...
Franchione had them going in the right direction until he decided to jump ship to aTm because he didn't want to go thru scholarship reductions while on probation.
Mike Price--well, we don't know....
Florida and Bama fans can thank God that TEBOW didn't sign with Bama under Shula--which he said in his first book that he was actually ready to do up until the very last minute before his announcement.

I suppose that my original post sounded like BAMA's administration are FB geniuses, when the record truly shows them to be flawed.

But that doesn't change the fact that what they did in recruiting SABAN was revolutionary. And Mal Moore's own words were that he was pressured to make a quick offer to Rich Rod...but he intentionally low-balled him in order to go after Saban. And their recruitment of Saban--giving him complete control and the $$$ offered was revolutionary back at the end of 2006. And, unlike you, I do believe his record at LSU gave every indication that he would do the same thing at BAMA...

Florida experienced some of the same problems in the POST-SPURRIER era...and you know exponentially more about Florida's process than I do....

But my point is that in the POST-DICKEY era---UT's administration made determined decisions to go AWAY from FB GUYS to run the athletic department. Fulmer made this clear in the last 3-4 years of his coaching tenure. And the progression from Hamilton to Curry pleased the academic idiots running the administration, but directly led to the current dismal state of the football program to a degree that UT has NEVER been experienced over the entire history of UT FOOTBALL!

Those are just the tired, old facts.....and once again, Fulmer's hiring was, to me, a definite signal that we are moving back to having the athletic program run by FB people instead of academic idiots. And I think I know a little more about UT's FB program than you.

We can agree to disagree.....

You are correct--I didn't mention all of the attempts Alabama made to hire "THE GUY" before they went after Saban.
Your hatred for Bama and Saban are truly shining brightly.

Dubose wasn't good...but it convinced them to look beyond "BAMA MEN" to hire Franchione...
Franchione had them going in the right direction until he decided to jump ship to aTm because he didn't want to go thru scholarship reductions while on probation.
Mike Price--well, we don't know....
Florida and Bama fans can thank God that TEBOW didn't sign with Bama under Shula--which he said in his first book that he was actually ready to do up until the very last minute before his announcement.

I suppose that my original post sounded like BAMA's administration are FB geniuses, when the record truly shows them to be flawed.

But that doesn't change the fact that what they did in recruiting SABAN was revolutionary. And Mal Moore's own words were that he was pressured to make a quick offer to Rich Rod...but he intentionally low-balled him in order to go after Saban. And their recruitment of Saban--giving him complete control and the $$$ offered was revolutionary back at the end of 2006. And, unlike you, I do believe his record at LSU gave every indication that he would do the same thing at BAMA...

Florida experienced some of the same problems in the POST-SPURRIER era...and you know exponentially more about Florida's process than I do....

But my point is that in the POST-DICKEY era---UT's administration made determined decisions to go AWAY from FB GUYS to run the athletic department. Fulmer made this clear in the last 3-4 years of his coaching tenure. And the progression from Hamilton to Curry pleased the academic idiots running the administration, but directly led to the current dismal state of the football program to a degree that UT has NEVER been experienced over the entire history of UT FOOTBALL!

Those are just the tired, old facts.....and once again, Fulmer's hiring was, to me, a definite signal that we are moving back to having the athletic program run by FB people instead of academic idiots. And I think I know a little more about UT's FB program than you.

We can agree to disagree.....

Bama wasnt very good a few of those years but Dubose did win a SEC and Shula would have if he hadnt forgot to take Tyrone Prothro out of the game where he was 4 TDs ahead of Florida in 2005. Bama was never as bad in my lifetime as Tennessee has been the last 10 yrs. I only go back to 1963. I missed the Ears Whitworth years when bama went 0-10.

Reactions: MikeVol44
Isn’t Davenport still around? Just like you knew the days were numbered for Currie when Schiano blew up in his face I figured Beverly was on super thin ice when she had to introduce a man she passed over for AD as the new AD because of the disaster she hired. But I think she is hanging on. Do you know?
I think she got demoted to a professor.

Bama wasnt very good a few of those years but Dubose did win a SEC and Shula would have if he hadnt forgot to take Tyrone Prothro out of the game where he was 4 TDs ahead of Florida in 2005. Bama was never as bad in my lifetime as Tennessee has been the last 10 yrs. I only go back to 1963. I missed the Ears Whitworth years when bama went 0-10.

EXACTLY the point! Thanks.....

Reactions: wmcovol

VN Store

Back