Pete Roussel on RS and Tennessee....

Of course Dooley hasn't spoken with Shannon. Shannon's agents have been speaking with UTs agents. It's mincing words, but it allows both parties to deny contact and save face in the even the deal falls through. Same thing when Steele said he "hadn't spoken with anyone." Technically it's true and Clemson can't say anything about it.

Reactions: 1 person
Of course Dooley hasn't spoken with Shannon. Shannon's agents have been speaking with UTs agents. It's mincing words, but it allows both parties to deny contact and save face in the even the deal falls through. Same thing when Steele said he "hadn't spoken with anyone." Technically it's true and Clemson can't say anything about it.

Dealing with agents do allow both parties to deny contact has been made. However to expect a HC to hire a DC without a conversation at the very least over the phone isn't reality. I don't believe the reports that DD and RS haven't directly been in contact but if those reports are true there is no way RS has agreed to be our next DC.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Dooley has got to be aware that all of Volnation is anticipating a Randy Shannon announcement any day now, and anything less will cause a complete meltdown landing square on his head. It would seem to me that if there were absolutely no truth to it, he would be the first guy to find a way to put Shannon out of our thought process. The way I see it, he is either nailing this down as we speak or really stupid. Letting this thing reach a boiling point with the fanbase when there is no merit to it is just plain suicide.

I would not count on that. My source says that he is looking for a Saban style in-your-face screamer type in be the DC. Like a Kirby Smartt or Will Muskchump style of personality. If that is indeed true, then Randy Shannon is not that style of coach. What VolNation thinks is not that high on his pecking order

Dooley has got to be aware that all of Volnation is anticipating a Randy Shannon announcement any day now, and anything less will cause a complete meltdown landing square on his head. It would seem to me that if there were absolutely no truth to it, he would be the first guy to find a way to put Shannon out of our thought process. The way I see it, he is either nailing this down as we speak or really stupid. Letting this thing reach a boiling point with the fanbase when there is no merit to it is just plain suicide.
What the F are you talking about?

Dooley has absolutely nothing to do with this. These rumors were 100% started in forums based on nothing at all that Dooley said. How the F is it on him to stop you from being a moron?

Seriously this has gone a bit far when the mouth breathers start trying to hold the guy accountable for the phantoms in their minds.

If at any point in this process CDD had teased or even mentioned anything about Randy Shannon or anyone else there is slight chance to be able to blame him for something.

Basically what you are saying translates like this....

A man has a dream his wife cheated on him while he walked outside to check the mail. No one was inside his home when he left or returned but his wife. His wife could be clearly seen through the kitchen window making him breakfast on the whole journey. Given this irrefutable evidence wifey has some splainin to do for sure or things are gonna get out of control.

Dooley has absolutely nothing to do with this. These rumors were 100% started in forums based on nothing at all that Dooley said. How the F is it on him to stop you from being a moron?

Seriously this has gone a bit far when the mouth breathers start trying to hold the guy accountable for the phantoms in their minds.

If at any point in this process CDD had teased or even mentioned anything about Randy Shannon or anyone else there is slight chance to be able to blame him for something.

A man has a dream his wife cheated on him while he walked outside to check the mail. No one was inside his home when he left or returned but his wife. His wife could be clearly seen through the kitchen window making him breakfast on the whole journey. Given this irrefutable evidence wifey has some splainin to do for sure or things are gonna get out of control.

You let him name Spangler the coordinator and watch the city burn down. He didnt start these rumors and it isnt his fault people are out spreading them. But this is a PR nightmare waiting to happen and he doesnt need that.

I have no sources, but I just don't believe Randy Shannon has been hired (at least not yet). Why all the secrecy? RS is not currently coaching anywhere so there is no need to hide the fact he is talking with CDD or Hart about the DC job. I don't believe the "big announcement" theory on Monday. If ESPN hates us as much as some on this site believe, what makes you think they will make anything more than a brief mention of the new DC at UT. I believe it would be much better for potential recruits to know about the new DC - as soon as the deal is done.

Also, this board has never been good at predicting coaching hires at UT. No one was predicting Dooley, Wilcox, or even the new strength coach when Wylie left.

I would not count on that. My source says that he is looking for a Saban style in-your-face screamer type in be the DC. Like a Kirby Smartt or Will Muskchump style of personality. If that is indeed true, then Randy Shannon is not that style of coach. What VolNation thinks is not that high on his pecking order

I hope not

I have no sources, but I just don't believe Randy Shannon has been hired (at least not yet). Why all the secrecy? RS is not currently coaching anywhere so there is no need to hide the fact he is talking with CDD or Hart about the DC job. I don't believe the "big announcement" theory on Monday. If ESPN hates us as much as some on this site believe, what makes you think they will make anything more than a brief mention of the new DC at UT. I believe it would be much better for potential recruits to know about the new DC - as soon as the deal is done.

Also, this board has never been good at predicting coaching hires at UT. No one was predicting Dooley, Wilcox, or even the new strength coach when Wylie left.

I agree there is no need in keeping Shannon a secret as it only further hurts recruiting by delaying the process. I just think if it was Shannon it would have been announced yesterday so he could spend the weekend recruiting.

Dealing with agents do allow both parties to deny contact has been made. However to expect a HC to hire a DC without a conversation at the very least over the phone isn't reality. I don't believe the reports that DD and RS haven't directly been in contact but if those reports are true there is no way RS has agreed to be our next DC.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

That's true. Shannon would probably want to be sure he could operate the way he wants with Dooley. However, I would expect a good deal of the preliminary financial arrangements would have to be agreed upon before coaches start talking. Business first, football next. That may be why we are looking at Monday. Or maybe we get an out of left field Cuanzo Martin type hire again.

Sorry bro you got no cred and doubt any sources.Steele isn't an in your face screamer..plus he will be in the Booth most likely so the sideline thing is irrelevant and probably not true.

uh what ?

You let him name Spangler the coordinator and watch the city burn down. He didnt start these rumors and it isnt his fault people are out spreading them. But this is a PR nightmare waiting to happen and he doesnt need that.
No it is not a PR nightmare... it is a stupid fans/media nightmare.

At some point folks around here need to chill the F out. Giving credence to the lunacy in effect is the worst possible thing Dooley or the AD could do. When they hire a guy they will announce it and until then folks need to STFU and wait. Starting 10000 threads on it does not help, it hurts.

Those among you that are not idiots need to understand the fact that most of our compatriots are. Most only read the first few words of a post before replying. Most are not capable of realizing that this site is like a living wiki. There are very few facts here among the sea of opinions.

Not trying to be a party pooper, I just think VN has ran wild with the "Shannon the new DC" stuff without any hard info. I'm hoping for Shannon also. I just ain't gonna dive into the "its a done deal" pool giving all the conflicting info out there. Just sets me up for a bigger disappointment if it ain't him.

And as a starving fan base, I think everyone else should do the same. If not, could be setting yourselves up for big disappointment. By hyping yourselves up over anything not in stone, even if it does happen, its not that exciting then, but the letdown can be huge.

I've got my big-girl pants on. I can handle the disappointment.

I agree there is no need in keeping Shannon a secret as it only further hurts recruiting by delaying the process. I just think if it was Shannon it would have been announced yesterday so he could spend the weekend recruiting.

Dead Period....and does not end until tonight...

Dead Period....and does not end until tonight...

August 1, 2011 through November 26, 2011 — Quiet Period.
November 27, 2011, through January 28, 2012 — Contact Period (except for the following periods listed below).
December 18 through January 8th — special considerations for JuCo prospects (see official NCAA Calendar). December 18 — Quiet Period.
December 19 — January 3 — Dead Period (see exceptions listed on NCAA PDF).
January 8 — Quiet Period.
January 9 — January 12 — Dead Period (see exceptions listed on NCAA PDF).
January 29 — Quiet Period.
January 30 — through February 2 — Dead Period.
February 1, 2012 -- National Signing Day runs through April 1, 2012.
February 3 through April 14 — Quiet Period.

Unless I am reading this wrong the dead period ended on the 3rd and starts again on the 9th and then ends again the 12th. Which would mean if Shannon was hired he missed out on a full weekend of recruiting.

Last edited:
No it is not a PR nightmare... it is a stupid fans/media nightmare.

At some point folks around here need to chill the F out. Giving credence to the lunacy in effect is the worst possible thing Dooley or the AD could do. When they hire a guy they will announce it and until then folks need to STFU and wait. Starting 10000 threads on it does not help, it hurts.

Those among you that are not idiots need to understand the fact that most of our compatriots are. Most only read the first few words of a post before replying. Most are not capable of realizing that this site is like a living wiki. There are very few facts here among the sea of opinions.

Look man, I hear ya. And I totally agree that a head coach at a major university needs to not be concerned with something like this in most any other case. But I think Dooley has come very close to losing this fan base and what I was trying to say was that if he is planning on going another direction other than a big name hire when the entire fan base is demanding and expecting a big name hire, then he would be wise to head it off at the pass. I was saying that if he isnt going with a home run attempt here, then I would think he would say something publicly like "I am looking for a person who can win games, not the press conference". He has not done that, which makes me think he is still going for a big fish.

I would like to see UT get the trifecta with this hire (big name, great closer, great game day coach).

However, I doubt the majority of the fan base is even aware of the candidates being discussed so heavily on the boards. Many won't care one way or another. They will just be happy if UT wins.

VN Store

Back