Phil came to scout my daughter

Before his first marriage, Phil and Gibbs Hall buddies could be found after games flopping around on the booze-soaked basement of the ATO house. It was called "gatoring".

I went to a UT Alumni social gathering in California just before Peyton signed with the Vols. On arriving, I walked up to a group of about 5 people which included Fulmer who were chatting. As soon as I joined the group, Fulmer interrupted whoever was talking and looked directly at me and introduced himself (as if I didn't know). Very friendly and relatable. I mentioned the 1971 Penn State game which TN won 31-11. This clearly punched Fulmer's enthusiasm button as he began recalling game details like it was just last week.
My father was at that game in 1971, two years before I was born. Told me about it several times. He loathed Joe Paterno because Paterno had apparently made all sorts of excuses for the loss, when the reality was that they had played a weak schedule and UT just hit them in the mouth.

He mocked Paterno again in '85 when Joe turned down the Sugar Bowl to go play Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl rather than play Tennessee. Not that Penn State was going to win either game.

VN Store

Back