Phil Steele's toughest schedules

they play west virginia and the sec west.

maybe if florida and tennessee can put forth a bowl eligible team, alabama's schedule wouldn't look so bad.

if you are in the sec, you have a good schedule.

Have you seen Vandy's schedule? They found a loophole in this general rule somehow.

Reactions: 1 person
UT's schedule is mainly brutal because UT is down. Bama's schedule includes Florida and UT from the East. Is it Bama's fault both schools are down. Normally, having UF, UT, and WVU would mean a pretty tough schedule. Instead fans on here make light of Bama's easy schedule...of which UT is key reason for it.

Reactions: 2 people
UT's schedule is mainly brutal because UT is down. Bama's schedule includes Florida and UT from the East. Is it Bama's fault both schools are down. Normally, having UF, UT, and WVU would mean a pretty tough schedule. Instead fans on here make light of Bama's easy schedule...of which UT is key reason for it.

Alabama plays an easier schedule than UT on a fairly consistent basis.

Only because Alabama is good! Yes, UT played Oregon last year and Bama played VT. In 2012, UT played NC State and Bama played Michigan.

UT on Bama's schedule= Cupcake
Bama on UT's schedule= Godzilla

Reactions: 2 people
Let's be optimistic. "Hey recruits, come be a Vol and compete against the nation's best,
year after year." We all know here on Volnation recruiting is the key to success.

Only because Alabama is good! Yes, UT played Oregon last year and Bama played VT. In 2012, UT played NC State and Bama played Michigan.

UT on Bama's schedule= Cupcake
Bama on UT's schedule= Godzilla

Man is speaking the truth. Kind of like WVU on Bama's schedule= cupcake. WVU on UT's schedule= I'm extremely nervous about this game.

To be fair you can say that for 95% of the teams in college football just about every year. When was the last time Tennessee didn't have a top 10 strength of schedule?

According to his preseason top 25, we play three top 5 teams (Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma), two more at 10 and 11 (South Carolina and Georgia), then Missouri at 18...

Not complaining because I believe to be the best, you have to beat the best...but dang.

Okay I use to be in the group that play any and all teams anytime anywhere. Now with the playoff system, just being undefeated or one loss is all that is required regardless of who you play. Good grief what a schedule! Thanks Hamilton, idiot!

:ermm:

Tennesseeduke

Apparently no one has been paying attention for years because last year was tougher, or at least as tough...and the year before, and the year before that...etc.

Exactly. People whine as if we hadn't have one of the "toughest schedules" for multiple yrs now. Each year it's the same ol thread after thread of it. It's pathetic.

CBJ knows with plenty of time how tough the schedule is going to be, and he needs to have the Vols ready for it. This is isn't an excuse anymore.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Personally I am glad that UT has one of the toughest schedules every year. Let the other teams wuss out, will make it easier to make it into the top 4 every year, as even at one loss we could make it in above someone who is undefeated due to the difference in schedules.

Okay I use to be in the group that play any and all teams anytime anywhere. Now with the playoff system, just being undefeated or one loss is all that is required regardless of who you play. Good grief what a schedule! Thanks Hamilton, idiot!

:ermm:

Tennesseeduke

We've had worse. But you bring up a good point. The playoff is going to change the landscape. From what I have heard so far strength of schedule is going to play into selection pretty heavy. With an SEC schedule that includes Bama every year Tennessee is likely to have a hard schedule even playing all cup cakes outside the conference. UT has always used playing a big name out of conference team as a recruiting tool though. With games being scheduled so far in advance it's difficult to predict how good an opponent will be come actual game day. No one thought Oregon would be such a good team when the home and home was originally scheduled. I'm honestly not sure how to strike a balance there.

Thats not Phils, that's the NCAA's. His will come out in a couple weeks.

Yep, the NCAA counts the won/loss records of all opponents equally; so if you beat a North Texas team that is 7-0 it counts the same as beating a Texas team that is 7-0.

Steele's own SOS formula takes into account the differences between teams from major and lesser conferences.

His SOS rankings won't look like that NCAA one.

Again this is the NCAA's method and not MINE!

When I release my toughest schedule rankings in the upcoming magazine my rankings take two major factors into account. The first is my 9 sets of Power Ratings. This ensures that an FCS team is rated lower than Florida that finished just 4-8 last year! The second factor is the amount of home and away games played.

funny how a&m is the only A-lister in the top ten, if you can call them an A-lister that is.

Personally I am glad that UT has one of the toughest schedules every year. Let the other teams wuss out, will make it easier to make it into the top 4 every year, as even at one loss we could make it in above someone who is undefeated due to the difference in schedules.

:good!::clapping::salute::peace2::clapping::rock:

Yes, that top 4 is just around the corner!

VN Store

Back