Phillip Fulmer to step down per ESPN (mega-merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We (ND) wanted to get rid of a coach one time, thought his offenses had become stagnant even though he had produced a NC for us. In the middle of a bad season, had just lost to Air Force. Man would have died for us, and has burial plots on campus. But we wanted change damn it! Had no potential prospects on the horizon, everybody was locked up at the time, just some unproven coordinators avaliable. 12 years & 4 coaches later we have good year bad year, mediocre most the time. I think it's a bad move, but what do I know.
good call. Alabama and Florida have struggled mightily with their recent changes. Was awful for USC with Carroll. Look at how is destroyed tOSU. Oklahoma took it on the chin with Stoops, as well.

I think I'm with you. Bad move.

I would have felt a little sad about this if it had happened three years ago, but by now I don't have any nostalgia left for it. The last four games against Florida and Alabama cured me of any of that.

Fulmer had a great run, but that run ended a long time ago. Glad to hear that he's apparently doing the right thing.

Party
308celebration_salute2.jpg

Does anyone else notice how an hour a ago people were trashing CPF, calling him the usual names and now everybody feels bad for him and wants to rally around him? If you have a subscription to Volquest, go over there and look at that. The whole first page of threads are about him stepping down. Can you say merge?

It will cost us 6 mil, and they just said Chris Peterson could be on the Vol's radar for potential candidates to be a new coach, they didn't mention any other names on ESPN.

We (ND) wanted to get rid of a coach one time, thought his offenses had become stagnant even though he had produced a NC for us. In the middle of a bad season, had just lost to Air Force. Man would have died for us, and has burial plots on campus. But we wanted change damn it! Had no potential prospects on the horizon, everybody was locked up at the time, just some unproven coordinators avaliable. 12 years & 4 coaches later we have good year bad year, mediocre most the time. I think it's a bad move, but what do I know.
Jimmy is gettin better and Tate is a stud, great team.

I posted in another thread, my dad just called me at work to tell me the news. I wonder who will take Fulmers place?

Great points, NDS. The only counter I can give at this time is that we've been going downhill since 1998 (save for a few SECCG appearances) and we've not really shown any hope of improvement, and the feeling may be that we need to cut our losses before we completely fall off the national scene. I know that ND is the exception (they can keep on losing and still garner massive TV exposure) but Tennessee's not in the same boat as ND. So, it looks like we're rolling the dice, but when you're desparate (as we are) that's what you do. Go Vols!

I am pleased to say that I am not a hypocrite who chastised, then felt sory. I thank Fulmer for all that he did, and I wouldn't mind him taking a front office job, because I don't want to see him leave Tennessee.

everybody better put their butts in their seats at neyland the last two home games.

Show the man respect and give him a standing ovation the last time he leaves the field.

It's what most of us have wanted, hopefully it is going to be want we wanted.

ur right im gonna come from georgia to neyland to pay my homage. A great man a great coach.

Even though I have wanted him gone for the last three years this does not come without some measure of dissapointment. I grew up and really became a fan under his reign and will be somewhat sad for him to go. My faith in the athletic dept has been somewhat restored. I hope he is able to win the next 3 games and go to a minor bowl game and go out a winner. Thanks Fulmer for many years of enjoyable football and I hope they retain you at the school in some capacity. Now lets go get Gruden, Cower, Peterson, Muschamp or Davis.

How much of the buyout do you expect him to get, though? He is stepping down/retiring. He isn't being fired.

Everybody better put their butts in their seats at Neyland the last two home games.

Show the man respect and give him a standing ovation the last time he leaves the field.

It's what most of us have wanted, hopefully it is going to be want we wanted.

We are now going to the Wyoming game!!

Like everyone else, I am sad yet happy. :dance::cray:

Does anyone else notice how an hour a ago people were trashing CPF, calling him the usual names and now everybody feels bad for him and wants to rally around him? If you have a subscription to Volquest, go over there and look at that. The whole first page of threads are about him stepping down. Can you say merge?

You took the thoughts right out of my head. Those are the same ones that did not go to the games and are fair weather fans. If you did not support him for the the first 9 games then don't even support him the last 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back