Pig Howard Reinstated!!

Fair points, though my guess is that they'd like the slot position to provide more than 8 yds per catch. Johnson certainly didn't have as many catches as Pig, but he averaged 14 ypc from the slot when relieving Pig.

I'm bringing up all this in the context of my belief that we'll start a bigger, more talented and explosive athlete at slot this year in Pearson. That's all.

As a fan I'm very happy to know that Pig is on the team again. It's just my belief that he'll assume a secondary role this year because of the other more talented options we'll have a WR and, quite frankly, because his numbers last year as our leading receiver just weren't very impressive.

Absolutely they would like to get more than 8 ypc out of the slot. I do think it may be a decision between having a guy out there that is more of an athlete vs. having a guy out there that is consistently in the right place play after play. I'm not sure which way they will go.

Either way I am very happy that he is on the team and whether he gets to start or not I am expecting to see him make some plays for us :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely they would like to get more than 8 ypc out of the slot. I do think it may be a decision between having a guy out there that is more of an athlete vs. having a guy out there that is consistently in the right place play after play. I'm not sure which way they will go.

Either way I am very happy that he is on the team and whether he gets to start or not I am expecting to see him make some plays for us :thumbsup:

Can certainly agree with all that.

With our 3 deep on WRs, we should be making opposing CBs run wind sprints all game long and watch them fade out midway through the 3rd quarter.

Glad to see Pig make the effort and get back on the team. Make the most of it young man!

0421_kcsp_Vols2135_atb_t607.JPG

Reactions: 9 people
Ok, then provide your definition of playmaker. Perhaps we are talking about different things? I doubt we are.

The stats I provided show that he averaged 4 catches for and 35 yds per game and less than 9 yds per catch. His 8.8 yds per catch was well below that of North, Smith and Johnson. Those statistics help to define what type of "playmaker" he is. Last year Pig made some nice first down catches, had an excellent game with 2 big 20+ yd plays vs Georgia, made a couple nice plays vs Florida and had 11 catches vs Mizzou. Not trying to diminish his worth, just trying to define it. I can agree with you that he is a playmaker..... he makes tough catches around the line of scrimmage, occasionally has a decent 10+ yd run, will have a 20+ yd catch every other game or so.

I'll get back to you after our bowl game.

You don't think that the circumstances of Alton's dismissal drops him to the bottom of the depth chart going into to fall camp? Pearson is a bigger, more athletically gifted player than Pig and appears to have big play potential....something we've never really seen from Pig.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jenkins as well. Also heard that Johnson had a great spring per Coach Z. I guess maybe we'll just disagree. Either way, it's very nice to know we have multiple talented options at slot this year.

He was a total stud in the Georgia game. If he had got across the goal line, he would be a legend. I think Pearson will be a different animal, big play animal.

Reactions: 2 people
You throw a hitch, a screen, a slant to each of the following WRs on our roster: North, Malone, Pearson, Howard. Given the same circumstances, who is the least likely to turn a short gain into a long gain or touchdown?

Going by his past performance against UGA last year the answer would be Mr. Howard.

How about you catalog those big plays for me? Which ones did he he take to the house after making a guy or 2 miss? How about the 50 yd jet sweep that he scored on? No?

Pig is a tough, possession type receiver. He's not a game breaker. That's my point. Can he be effective, can he help move the sticks with some tough, hard-nosed catches in traffic within 5-10 yds of the line of scrimmage? Yes. His career thus far says yes. But he is not a dynamic, explosive player like we've been trying to bring in like North, Malone and Pearson. Here are his career stats/the evidence.....

2012- 13 catches, 4.2 yds per catch, 1 td
2013- 44 catches, 8.8 yds per catch, 3 tds

In 2013 he had 5 catches of more than 20 yds, with a long of 33 yds vs Georgia.

His longest run thus far at UT is 20 yds.

Again, I'm not trying to dog Alton, just accurately define the type of player he is. He's a good, tough possession slot receiver. He IS NOT a game breaker by any stretch of the imagination.

Pig made plays in his own right. No he isnt a 4.3 guy, but he is the most elusive player on the team. He is slippery. Thats why his nickname is Pig. Thats why we tried to get him the ball in space and on jet sweeps. He showed his potential in the UGA game. Von is more agile than elusive. I still think Von starts outside and Pig in the slot. And everyone rotates from there.

Ok, then provide your definition of playmaker. Perhaps we are talking about different things? I doubt we are.

The stats I provided show that he averaged 4 catches for and 35 yds per game and less than 9 yds per catch. His 8.8 yds per catch was well below that of North, Smith and Johnson. Those statistics help to define what type of "playmaker" he is. Last year Pig made some nice first down catches, had an excellent game with 2 big 20+ yd plays vs Georgia, made a couple nice plays vs Florida and had 11 catches vs Mizzou. Not trying to diminish his worth, just trying to define it. I can agree with you that he is a playmaker..... he makes tough catches around the line of scrimmage, occasionally has a decent 10+ yd run, will have a 20+ yd catch every other game or so.

Yet he led the team in catches......that should tell u something about our QB play more than it does anything about Pig.

Welcome back pig great work hope you have a great season as well. I know it took a lot of grit to get back. Best of luck!

How about you catalog those big plays for me? Which ones did he he take to the house after making a guy or 2 miss? How about the 50 yd jet sweep that he scored on? No?

Pig is a tough, possession type receiver. He's not a game breaker. That's my point. Can he be effective, can he help move the sticks with some tough, hard-nosed catches in traffic within 5-10 yds of the line of scrimmage? Yes. His career thus far says yes. But he is not a dynamic, explosive player like we've been trying to bring in like North, Malone and Pearson. Here are his career stats/the evidence.....

2012- 13 catches, 4.2 yds per catch, 1 td
2013- 44 catches, 8.8 yds per catch, 3 tds

In 2013 he had 5 catches of more than 20 yds, with a long of 33 yds vs Georgia.

His longest run thus far at UT is 20 yds.

Again, I'm not trying to dog Alton, just accurately define the type of player he is. He's a good, tough possession slot receiver. He IS NOT a game breaker by any stretch of the imagination.
3rd down conversions ARE game breakers regardless of yards per catch and Pig is one that get us positive yds and that's enough....."down the field"
He's no CP, but effective.....

Awesome Alton Howard is back. He IS a game breaker. He will continue to get the tough yards for us that will enable us to win games. Although statics show he is not a big yardage receiver, he makes plays at crucial times in games that give us a greater chance, as a team, of winning.
Grateful Pig is back!

I too am grateful Pig is back. He's a popular player, you guys have circled the wagons around him, I get it.

I too am grateful Pig is back. He's a popular player, you guys have circled the wagons around him, I get it.
Whichever players get us down the field....at this point. We haven't broke even at 6-6 for way too long...and Vandy beating us 2 times in a row(jesus help us) Even UK beat us during this slump. They don't even care about football.

VN Store

Back