Best games
Hill
#23 Texas finished #9
17/29 58.6% 222yds 1td 0int Win
IL
11/19 58% 265 yds 3td 0int Win

Maurer
14/25 50% 259 2td 1int 1 sack fumble td
? Bama or MSU neither game hit 65 yards passing though so I'm not sure.

Hill is a better passer at this point. That isn't even up for argument.
Neither one will be able to play a lot of football next year unless JG fails early and HB has not had enough time to learn the system. Hill will get his free Masters degree and move on. BM will realize he has the opportunity to become the backup to the starter and might be able to make a legitate run to be the leader.

Should he transfer? No.

It's highly unlikely that a true freshman is going to walk into the locker room and displace a senior QB with 2.5 years of starting experience under his belt. Tennessee is a good situation for a quarterback and I don't see Guarantano easily finding a better situation for him to be successful.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Should he transfer? No.

It's highly unlikely that a true freshman is going to walk into the locker room and displace a senior QB with 2.5 years of starting experience under his belt. Tennessee is a good situation for a quarterback and I don't see Guarantano easily finding a better situation for him to be successful.

2.5 years in the program, and some of the lowest production numbers in all of college football. The bar is pretty low for being a more effective QB than JG.

2.5 years in the program, and some of the lowest production numbers in all of college football. The bar is pretty low for being a more effective QB than JG.
A pretty low bar for another college quarterback. For a kid 6 months out of high school, I think the bar is still pretty high. Feel free to correct me, but I couldn't find a single example of a true freshman winning the starting spot over an established starting quarterback in the 2019 season. It's just not as common as people around this thread want to believe.

You know what I did find that was pretty interesting - South Carolina. Their senior QB came down with a foot injury early in the season and the starting position was given to their True Freshman, Ryan Hilinksi (#2 Pro-Style QB in the 2019 Class). Sounds pretty similar, right? Ryan Hilinski finished 101st in the FBS in Passing Efficiency. Jarrett Guarantano was #42.

I think this program would be far better off to have Harrison sit on the bench for a year learning behind a senior QB, than thrown into the fray to struggle because an upset fanbase is clamoring for it.

Do you really think so? I recall, JG stated he didn't really care who started as QB-now that's a team player. I have no reason to doubt his integrity, if he said it, he meant it.
I do. I believe that was lip service... ive mentioned my reason numerous times on his distraction of the team

I do. I believe that was lip service... ive mentioned my reason numerous times on his distraction of the team

He said that imo because he knew he was going to still play a lot. Pruitt even said when maurer started that jg would play. That was Pruitts plan that jg was still going to be playing.

Reactions: whodeycin85
A pretty low bar for another college quarterback. For a kid 6 months out of high school, I think the bar is still pretty high. Feel free to correct me, but I couldn't find a single example of a true freshman winning the starting spot over an established starting quarterback in the 2019 season. It's just not as common as people around this thread want to believe.

You know what I did find that was pretty interesting - South Carolina. Their senior QB came down with a foot injury early in the season and the starting position was given to their True Freshman, Ryan Hilinksi (#2 Pro-Style QB in the 2019 Class). Sounds pretty similar, right? Ryan Hilinski finished 101st in the FBS in Passing Efficiency. Jarrett Guarantano was #42.

I think this program would be far better off to have Harrison sit on the bench for a year learning behind a senior QB, than thrown into the fray to struggle because an upset fanbase is clamoring for it.

I agree with your assessment, but I also look at the freshman and others who were named starters after an injury to the starting qb and showed they were the better qb. It appears coaches favor expierence over talent at the qb position. If you want expierence then jg is the starter. If you want a qb who will be much more successful than jg with more game expierence then surely one of the other 5 would do that. If they can't then we have a problem at evaluating qb. With all this said I want the qb who gives us the best chance to win to be the starter at UT and I will be pulling for whoever that is. Go Vols

Sadly I think jg will be the starter, not because he is the best but because he has the expierence. I hope I am wrong.
After Pruitt was willing to bench JG for bad performance and play a Fr he knew wasn't ready.... I believe JG only starts if he is the best.

If it is close then the smart investment is in the younger player. JG's flaws that appear to be unchanging prevent the O from being dynamic. They need a dynamic O even with more mistakes to attract recruits. Having one of the worst red zone O's in the country primarily because you have one of the worst red zone QB's in the country... may attract a FG kicker.... but no one else.

Reactions: KBVol
Because most of VN hates JG and puts the vast majority of the blame for us losing on him.
Don’t hate him, hate his up and down, inconsistent play and all the drama that comes with it. We know what he is as an SEC QB and it’s simply not good enough. He played 3.5 good games out of 13 last year....started off terribly, seemed to get if together with some good to really good play, and then finished the season horribly vs Vandy and Indiana. He just can’t do it. The team and program is much bigger than one player, especially when that one player plays quarterback which by definition has the largest influence on a team’s success and can literally hold it back with his poor play.

Don’t hate him, hate his up and down, inconsistent play and all the drama that comes with it. We know what he is as an SEC QB and it’s simply not good enough. He played 3.5 good games out of 13 last year....started off terribly, seemed to get if together with some good to really good play, and then finished the season horribly vs Vandy and Indiana. He just can’t do it. The team and program is much bigger than one player, especially when that one player plays quarterback which by definition has the largest influence on a team’s success and can literally hold it back with his poor play.

The only thing that can hold a team back is the team plays bad. You can try and dispute till you are blue in the face but that’s a fact. Peyton played like crap in his last SB win, so did Brady. But what happened? Their teams played great. QB is important but not to the degree some want to believe.

Case in point GS and BYU. If our defense just plays at an even average level we win easily.

Should he transfer? No.

Bet Jalen Hurts thought that too. Actually 2 Freshman for the Vols this year started over JG, so it's not unheard of. Hell Hurts was like 20something and 2. But in saying that, JG starting all year and playing well would be the best thing for us. We have an experienced SR break in numerous new WR's and mentor HB to take over as starter the following season. Can he take that next step as a SR and having the same OC 2 straight years? Who knows, but I hope so. How we finished 8-5 with revolving QB 's is a damn miracle. My biggest concern is him still being late with his decion making and late on a lot of throws. That shouldn't be an issue with his game experience as a starter. That's what's keeping him from taking the next step and being a really good QB. If that gets resolved before next season, he will have a great SR year and win us more games. Having Jennings and Calloway helped offset the QB carousel, we won't have that WR experience next season. JG has not been my favorite Vol QB and will honestly be glad when he's gone. But as a Vol fan, I hope like hell he can lead us to a great season as a SR. I won't be mad though if Harrison comes in and looks like Lawrence did his Fr year and wins us games and give us a few yrs of QB stability. I'm good with either situation happening, I know CJP has us heading in the right direction and good years are finally returning.

Pretty much nails it.

Reactions: cgrish
The only thing that can hold a team back is the team plays bad.
You know better than that. If everyone does their job but a OT misses a block... the play can still be successful. Same for almost any player on any play... except the QB. If you're QB cannot process reads fast enough or anticipate throws then everyone else can do their job to absolute perfection and the play will fail. WR's can get separation but if the QB doesn't anticipate the throw the DB can still make a play. The QB is the only guy on the O who must do their job well on every play. VERY few pass plays work unless the QB executes at a high level.

You can try and dispute till you are blue in the face but that’s a fact. Peyton played like crap in his last SB win, so did Brady. But what happened? Their teams played great. QB is important but not to the degree some want to believe.
So you think it is OK for JG to not get it done if somehow UT gets good enough to carry him? The team deserves better... and so do the fans.

Case in point GS and BYU. If our defense just plays at an even average level we win easily.
If JG plays even close to average then he keeps the D off the field and UT blows both of them out.

I am not sure how many True FR have started over established QB's this year but it's probably a low number. This yeay JG started 7 games I believe going 4-3 with 2 wins over bowl teams.. You did miss an example of a Tr Fr starting over an established QB..Happened numerous times this year with Mauer starting over JG. If Mauer had stayed healthy and performed better he would have started from Georgia and beyond. JG started by default, not necessarily because he's a great starting QB. He just hasn't been pushed consistently as a starter, yet still only started half the games this year. Not saying it happens, because honestly none of us know, but what happens if Harrison B comes in and looks like Lawrence, Slovis, Tua etc did as a Fr? And JG still struggles with the same issues of reading things late and inconsistency? HB will start, we've already seen Pruitt not think twice about changing who starts at QB. Again, not saying it happens, but QB"s are coming in more ready to play than ever before, especially if they played at a powerhouse HS..which Bailey did..

Looking at some QB rankings from last year, in QBR Rating JG had 5 Freshman finish higher than him, in Pass TD's there were 8 FR that had the same or more passing TD"s than JG, in total passing yards there was 9 FR QB's with more yards, in completion % there was 14 Fr ahead of him, in completions per game there was 14 Fr ahead of him, in pass efficiency there were 6 ahead of him, in yards per game there was 14 Fr with more passing yards per game. JG was 4-3 as a starter beating Chatt,Vandy,Mizzou and Indiana. Only win was a bowl team was in our bowl game. Yet in those 7 games he was 107-181 1492 yards passing 10 TD's and 7 Int's..213 yards passing a game with a quarter of his yards against Mizzou.

I also agree that JG taking a huge step his SR is what would be best for us and the team, but nobody can say they blame fams for clamoring for a change after 3 yrs of the same inconsistency from JG.

Do you really think so? I recall, JG stated he didn't really care who started as QB-now that's a team player. I have no reason to doubt his integrity, if he said it, he meant it.
I actually agree with this. He handled being benched and coming back in very well. Contrasted with his reaction at GT 4 years ago, he's grown up a lot and is now a good influence on the younger guys. That QB group could have been split and could have easily split the team but all of them proved they were good team guys.

That's not why he would transfer but I do not expect him to regardless. If he somehow manages to overcome his inability to process quickly and anticipate throws then he's UT's starter without question. If he doesn't... then he probably won't win the job anywhere else he would want to play.

I am not sure how many True FR have started over established QB's this year but it's probably a low number. This yeay JG started 7 games I believe going 4-3 with 2 wins over bowl teams.. You did miss an example of a Tr Fr starting over an established QB..Happened numerous times this year with Mauer starting over JG. If Mauer had stayed healthy and performed better he would have started from Georgia and beyond. JG started by default, not necessarily because he's a great starting QB. He just hasn't been pushed consistently as a starter, yet still only started half the games this year. Not saying it happens, because honestly none of us know, but what happens if Harrison B comes in and looks like Lawrence, Slovis, Tua etc did as a Fr? And JG still struggles with the same issues of reading things late and inconsistency? HB will start, we've already seen Pruitt not think twice about changing who starts at QB. Again, not saying it happens, but QB"s are coming in more ready to play than ever before, especially if they played at a powerhouse HS..which Bailey did..

Looking at some QB rankings from last year, in QBR Rating JG had 5 Freshman finish higher than him, in Pass TD's there were 8 FR that had the same or more passing TD"s than JG, in total passing yards there was 9 FR QB's with more yards, in completion % there was 14 Fr ahead of him, in completions per game there was 14 Fr ahead of him, in pass efficiency there were 6 ahead of him, in yards per game there was 14 Fr with more passing yards per game. JG was 4-3 as a starter beating Chatt,Vandy,Mizzou and Indiana. Only win was a bowl team was in our bowl game. Yet in those 7 games he was 107-181 1492 yards passing 10 TD's and 7 Int's..213 yards passing a game with a quarter of his yards against Mizzou.

I also agree that JG taking a huge step his SR is what would be best for us and the team, but nobody can say they blame fams for clamoring for a change after 3 yrs of the same inconsistency from JG.
I believe his main threats come from BM and HB. Shrout has an outside shot. I don't think Hill will challenge but it would be interesting if he emerged. I still think Holiday ends up at slot. If not he's definitely a project.

If either of those two can learn to manage the O and can read and react faster than JG then they'll overtake him.

You know better than that. If everyone does their job but a OT misses a block... the play can still be successful. Same for almost any player on any play... except the QB. If you're QB cannot process reads fast enough or anticipate throws then everyone else can do their job to absolute perfection and the play will fail. WR's can get separation but if the QB doesn't anticipate the throw the DB can still make a play. The QB is the only guy on the O who must do their job well on every play. VERY few pass plays work unless the QB executes at a high level.

So you think it is OK for JG to not get it done if somehow UT gets good enough to carry him? The team deserves better... and so do the fans.

If JG plays even close to average then he keeps the D off the field and UT blows both of them out.

JG got us to more wins this season than anyone ever expected after the start of the season. Our WRs were not guys that beat DBs on a consistent basis. There were terrible throws as well as drops.

Again you keep piling the majority of the blame on JG. It’s beyond ridiculous. The whole entire offense HAS to operate at a high level for it to succeed at a high level. Why is that so hard to understand? But if your defense can play at a high level, it can carry a team. Denver and the Patriots of last year are perfect examples.

VN Store

Back