PRE-FALLCAMP 2021 Preview

I swap the Mizzou and USC jr W/L but yes 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 all are possible if the ball bounces our way. Anyone that says we're going 10-2 is unrealistic or smoking something.

That's my opinion as well. In the pivot games we beat SC & Vandy, but lose to Mizzou, KY, Ole Miss and Pitt. If things come together exceptionally well and we avoid key injuries, we might win one of those too.

Nice assessment my friend. But, my question @ your ranking is more procedural of the 1-5. It's hard to see a 3-9 (sec only of course) returning team w all new staff and many new players, not having any position group below 3. Better than 1/2 or avg. Rank em brutally. Our LBs 3:5 and it's a giant ? Position. Gotta go 1 or 2 there. Remember we are UT. Beating Vandy and USA are not even legit wins. They are more like exhibition party's at least for our standards. At this point we could lose either.
Hard to see 3 serious/no-cupcake wins on this schedule. So, I'd find it hard to rank any position group even a 3 at this point.

Reactions: JRtheYoung
I would really like to see the coaches move Beckwith to a hybrid TE/WR position, i.e Kyle Pitts. I think he could be a matchup nightmare in the red zone.

I have stated the same thing and I do not understand the thought of him playing running back??? I know he is talented enough but I say play him like Pitts and let the other teams figure out how to stop him. And yes I know he is unproven but I think he will be a nightmare for defenses in that position.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I have stated the same thing and I do not understand the thought of him playing running back??? I know he is talented enough but I say play him like Pitts and let the other teams figure out how to stop him. And yes I know he is unproven but I think he will be a nightmare for defenses in that position.
Exactly . Obviously, I haven’t seen him play the RB position, but it just seems like it would be worth a shot to see what he can do at a hybrid spot.

We should’ve done the same thing w/ Croom a few years back.

If you don’t want a response? Type it on a Word document.
lol what? I said conversation bc some people like to argue over stuff they don't know, or what anyone knows. We can't truly predict futures but you'd think some people think of themselves as an all-knowing seer.

UK is a mature program. Stoops is a good coach and has his development strategies and culture in place. I just don't think they can lose 7 defensive starters with 5 or 6 being NFL caliber and just "reload". I'm not sure who is winning their QB competition right now but I would feel pretty comfortable saying that all 4 of UT's guys are better prospects.
Why?
We just beat them with JG twice.

I don't look at it as much as them overall as a better team but where they are placed on our schedule. Coming off 2 tough road games @Florida and @Mizzou , I say we win Mizzou in a close one. It sets up perfectly as a trap game as it's sandwiched between Ole Miss and we may be coming off looking ahead thinking we should beat SC as we should.
I know this is all speculation, but that's what all previews are.

lol what? I said conversation bc some people like to argue over stuff they don't know, or what anyone knows. We can't truly predict futures but you'd think some people think of themselves as an all-knowing seer.
1628014096827.gif

Reactions: bigorange
UK is a mature program. Stoops is a good coach and has his development strategies and culture in place. I just don't think they can lose 7 defensive starters with 5 or 6 being NFL caliber and just "reload". I'm not sure who is winning their QB competition right now but I would feel pretty comfortable saying that all 4 of UT's guys are better prospects.

Pitt is a middling ACC team. To put that in perspective, Pitt made the ACC championship game in '18 with a 7-6 record. That's how bad that conference is after Clemson and sometimes one or 2 programs below them. In the last two years, they haven't beaten a team with less than six losses.

I do not know if Heupel is a good coach or the right coach. I do believe that UT has talent and that Pruitt's problems were never a lack of talent but rather his leadership. I'll take my lumps if UT turns out not to be talented. However I am very confident that Pitt would be similar to what Arkansas has been over the past several years if they played in the SEC. My best guess right now is that UT's talent match ups against their D will be a significant advantage and style of play will hurt Pitt like it hurt Pruitt.
I see a Keith Byers arc. 1st round draft pick out of Ohio State but made his mark at fullback as a blocker and receiver. That was the 80’s and mid-90’s and he had a 89 catch season.

Seldom do this because there are always so many unknowns and things that change... However:

BGSU (W)- The Eagles are one of CFB's worst programs. Last year they scored 11.4 ppg and gave up over 40 against a MAC only schedule. This makes a good confidence builder for UT. I suspect UT will have to call off the dogs to avoid scoring over 70.

Pitt (W)- They are a middling ACC team which is to say they would be bottom tier in the SEC, Big 10, and maybe even the Big 12 or Pac12. They've looked the part of a middling team... and their schedule has made them look better than they were. The only thing worrisome with this game is that they have more experience than UT. The roster talent does not appear to be very close.

TTU (W)- well timed warm up for UF.

UF (L)- They're a better team than UT right now. UT's one sure advantage is that UF will have a Bama hangover. It will be difficult for them not to be flat. Question is if UT is good enough for it to matter.

Mizzou (W/L)- I'm giving MU the nod not because I believe they'll field a better team but because they will be coming off BC while UT plays UF. We will have a much better idea about how good UT is by this point... so the "L" is penciled in.

USCe (W)- and by a larger margin than many think... I really don't think they have very much talent. Beamer takes over having never been a HC or even a coordinator. Muschamp's decline was a reflection of talent. That problem didn't go away when he did.

Ole Miss (L)- I think they may be the most underestimated team in the SEC. They were horrible on D but score lots and lots of points. Besides improvements Kiffin is likely to make... this isn't a style match up advantage for UT. Could be a mirror image type of game.

Bama (L)- I hope the Vols are game and make it somewhat competitive

UK (W/L)- I actually think UT will win this game and that UK will be a disappointment to many talking heads. It does not look like they have their answer at QB. They lose 7 starters just on D with 5 or so being NFL caliber. The star gazers and I would have to believe that Stoops is just that perfect in finding 2/3* "diamonds in the rough" for there not to be a drop off.

UGA (L)- I'd like to think UGA's season could go sideways with them entering this game vulnerable... but they'll probably be playing to pad their BCS resume.

USA- (W)

Vandy- (W)

So... just like I've said for months... I believe this is a 6-8 win roster if the coaching staff does its job. The swing games IMO are UK and Mizzou. I think UT gets a split at worst.

* This is all personal opinion* If you disagree, comment your thoughts and where I was wrong. I'm looking for healthy dialogue, not debate. I've done a lot of research, but I make mistakes. Now here we go:

There's ONE huge reason I'm excited about this season more than those in the past years. WE DON'T HAVE JARRET GUARANTANO! Now I'm not blaming all our flaws on him, but we all knew he was an issue and we continued to let him play when we knew he wasn't our solution instead of letting Bailey or Mauer receive reps.

QB: Milton, Bailey, Hooker, and Mauer seem to be the realistic options with Bailey and Milton leading the way. No more irritation at QB, I feel we have a fresh slate of talent to finally have stability at QB this year. NOT saying we will be great there, but it won't be a problem to hold us back. I give the edge to Bailey personally but we will have to see with camp. Grade: 3.5/5

RB: We are hurt with Chandler and Gray leaving, but we added Tiyon Evans, Small returns, Dee Beckwith returns, and maybe Tee Hodge gets touches. We are sneaky talented but lack experience so they better learn fast or we will be one-dimensional. We have the chance to be a solid group/deep backfield, or we have a chance for no one to be a shining light and be below average. Look for Small to be that hidden gem though. Grade: 3/5

WRs: WR's aren't scrubs...... but we arent deep. Velus Jones, Jalin Hyatt, Ramal Keyton, Cedric Tillman, Jimmy Holiday, Jimmy Calloway, and Anderson Coby look to be the known names. Granted most of these names don't spark too much buzz because we haven't seen them step up as WR's 1 or do much on the field period. Will we even have a #1? Who will it be? Those are questions awaiting camp, we have talent but will that translate on the field. Look for Hyatt and Jones to be the primaries though. Grade: 3.5/5

OL: 2 starters return, Darnell Wright and Cade Mays, but underperformed last year. Can we be TVA? Doubtful, highly doubtful, but I believe we will be better than last year statically with an easier schedule and if mobile QB is behind them or we get the ball out fast, it will hide a lot of issues. BUT, I still think we will be average to above average in the SEC, we have talent: Mays brothers, Wright, Spraggins, Calbert, Carvin, and Davis could all put out an above-average OL. Will it translate to the field though? I say it does.... but not so much to be a top-line in the SEC. Look for Mays to have a bounce-back year as his draft stock is in jeopardy and his brother joining him adding chemistry to that line. Grade: 4/5

DL: Simmons, Butler, Solomon, Thomas, Baron, Bumphus, Tremplay... Now are these scrubs? No, but are they world beaters, Absolutely not. They are a solid group who is honestly the strength of our defense and take that how you may. Personally, I am not a believer in this line as I don't see it being anything but average at best. Look for a decent run stop, but a below-average pass rush. Grade: 3/5 a low 3.

LB: We all know who we lost, let's not name them. With all of their departures, we added Juwan Mitchell from UT jr and Willam Muhan from Michigan. Other than that we have Jeremy Banks as the only notable name. Look for the transfers to help but this group to be the liability of this defense. Grade: 2/5
DB: We lost Bryce Thompson so who fills his void? We return a lot fortunately with starting experience, but that starting experience doesn't mean it was great playing starting experience. I believe this secondary can be really good if everyone lives up to their potential, but Flowers need to step up his ball skills and McCollough needs to add speed or play with great instincts. CB we have Taylor and Burrell, Turnage, and George who will battle for starts. Lock Taylor but the rest is on camp. Look for this secondary to be sneaky good. I believe we will surprise a lot of people, and be positive on this side of the ball. Grade: 4/5

S/T: Brooks will be solid averaging 43.6 per punt last year. Transfer kicker McGrath is hard to tell. You can never tell with kickers. He has hit 32-of-42 field goals, with a long of 52 yards, and 118-of-119 PATs in his career so take that how you will. PR'ing was an issue last year ranking 64th nationally, so hopefully, we can only improve?? Grade: 3/5

Overall: 5-7 record with a 3.25/5 rating. I'll go game by game:
Bowling Green: W --- Pitt: L --- TN Tech: W --- Florida: L --- Missouri: W --- SC: L ---- Ole Miss: L --- Bama: L --- Kentucky: L --- Georgia: L --- South Bama: W --- Vandy: W

I say we win 5 games, with a coin flip for the South Carolina game so maybe 6. Call me pessimistic but I don't see us beating Ole miss's high-powered offense, Florida Georgia Bama is just too far ahead of us right now. Kentucky is a really solid team this year and well-coached, and I know it's a rivalry but let's not be biased and naive to say they don't have the better team right now. If you want to argue Pitt by all means, but they're on the same level Kentucky if not better in my opinion.
Nice post. Though I’m thinking we’ll be bowl eligible. Yeah I know there’s the sanctions thing. But you get my point.

Seldom do this because there are always so many unknowns and things that change... However:

BGSU (W)- The Eagles are one of CFB's worst programs. Last year they scored 11.4 ppg and gave up over 40 against a MAC only schedule. This makes a good confidence builder for UT. I suspect UT will have to call off the dogs to avoid scoring over 70.

Pitt (W)- They are a middling ACC team which is to say they would be bottom tier in the SEC, Big 10, and maybe even the Big 12 or Pac12. They've looked the part of a middling team... and their schedule has made them look better than they were. The only thing worrisome with this game is that they have more experience than UT. The roster talent does not appear to be very close.

TTU (W)- well timed warm up for UF.

UF (L)- They're a better team than UT right now. UT's one sure advantage is that UF will have a Bama hangover. It will be difficult for them not to be flat. Question is if UT is good enough for it to matter.

Mizzou (W/L)- I'm giving MU the nod not because I believe they'll field a better team but because they will be coming off BC while UT plays UF. We will have a much better idea about how good UT is by this point... so the "L" is penciled in.

USCe (W)- and by a larger margin than many think... I really don't think they have very much talent. Beamer takes over having never been a HC or even a coordinator. Muschamp's decline was a reflection of talent. That problem didn't go away when he did.

Ole Miss (L)- I think they may be the most underestimated team in the SEC. They were horrible on D but score lots and lots of points. Besides improvements Kiffin is likely to make... this isn't a style match up advantage for UT. Could be a mirror image type of game.

Bama (L)- I hope the Vols are game and make it somewhat competitive

UK (W/L)- I actually think UT will win this game and that UK will be a disappointment to many talking heads. It does not look like they have their answer at QB. They lose 7 starters just on D with 5 or so being NFL caliber. The star gazers and I would have to believe that Stoops is just that perfect in finding 2/3* "diamonds in the rough" for there not to be a drop off.

UGA (L)- I'd like to think UGA's season could go sideways with them entering this game vulnerable... but they'll probably be playing to pad their BCS resume.

USA- (W)

Vandy- (W)

So... just like I've said for months... I believe this is a 6-8 win roster if the coaching staff does its job. The swing games IMO are UK and Mizzou. I think UT gets a split at worst.
This is pretty much where I'm at as well.

Reactions: sjt18
* This is all personal opinion* If you disagree, comment your thoughts and where I was wrong. I'm looking for healthy dialogue, not debate. I've done a lot of research, but I make mistakes. Now here we go:

There's ONE huge reason I'm excited about this season more than those in the past years. WE DON'T HAVE JARRET GUARANTANO! Now I'm not blaming all our flaws on him, but we all knew he was an issue and we continued to let him play when we knew he wasn't our solution instead of letting Bailey or Mauer receive reps.

QB: Milton, Bailey, Hooker, and Mauer seem to be the realistic options with Bailey and Milton leading the way. No more irritation at QB, I feel we have a fresh slate of talent to finally have stability at QB this year. NOT saying we will be great there, but it won't be a problem to hold us back. I give the edge to Bailey personally but we will have to see with camp. Grade: 3.5/5

RB: We are hurt with Chandler and Gray leaving, but we added Tiyon Evans, Small returns, Dee Beckwith returns, and maybe Tee Hodge gets touches. We are sneaky talented but lack experience so they better learn fast or we will be one-dimensional. We have the chance to be a solid group/deep backfield, or we have a chance for no one to be a shining light and be below average. Look for Small to be that hidden gem though. Grade: 3/5

WRs: WR's aren't scrubs...... but we arent deep. Velus Jones, Jalin Hyatt, Ramal Keyton, Cedric Tillman, Jimmy Holiday, Jimmy Calloway, and Anderson Coby look to be the known names. Granted most of these names don't spark too much buzz because we haven't seen them step up as WR's 1 or do much on the field period. Will we even have a #1? Who will it be? Those are questions awaiting camp, we have talent but will that translate on the field. Look for Hyatt and Jones to be the primaries though. Grade: 3.5/5

OL: 2 starters return, Darnell Wright and Cade Mays, but underperformed last year. Can we be TVA? Doubtful, highly doubtful, but I believe we will be better than last year statically with an easier schedule and if mobile QB is behind them or we get the ball out fast, it will hide a lot of issues. BUT, I still think we will be average to above average in the SEC, we have talent: Mays brothers, Wright, Spraggins, Calbert, Carvin, and Davis could all put out an above-average OL. Will it translate to the field though? I say it does.... but not so much to be a top-line in the SEC. Look for Mays to have a bounce-back year as his draft stock is in jeopardy and his brother joining him adding chemistry to that line. Grade: 4/5

DL: Simmons, Butler, Solomon, Thomas, Baron, Bumphus, Tremplay... Now are these scrubs? No, but are they world beaters, Absolutely not. They are a solid group who is honestly the strength of our defense and take that how you may. Personally, I am not a believer in this line as I don't see it being anything but average at best. Look for a decent run stop, but a below-average pass rush. Grade: 3/5 a low 3.

LB: We all know who we lost, let's not name them. With all of their departures, we added Juwan Mitchell from UT jr and Willam Muhan from Michigan. Other than that we have Jeremy Banks as the only notable name. Look for the transfers to help but this group to be the liability of this defense. Grade: 2/5
DB: We lost Bryce Thompson so who fills his void? We return a lot fortunately with starting experience, but that starting experience doesn't mean it was great playing starting experience. I believe this secondary can be really good if everyone lives up to their potential, but Flowers need to step up his ball skills and McCollough needs to add speed or play with great instincts. CB we have Taylor and Burrell, Turnage, and George who will battle for starts. Lock Taylor but the rest is on camp. Look for this secondary to be sneaky good. I believe we will surprise a lot of people, and be positive on this side of the ball. Grade: 4/5

S/T: Brooks will be solid averaging 43.6 per punt last year. Transfer kicker McGrath is hard to tell. You can never tell with kickers. He has hit 32-of-42 field goals, with a long of 52 yards, and 118-of-119 PATs in his career so take that how you will. PR'ing was an issue last year ranking 64th nationally, so hopefully, we can only improve?? Grade: 3/5

Bowling Green: W --- Pitt: L --- TN Tech: W --- Florida: L --- Missouri: W --- SC: L ---- Ole Miss: L --- Bama: L --- Kentucky: L --- Georgia: L --- South Bama: W --- Vandy: W

I say we win 5 games, with a coin flip for the South Carolina game so maybe 6. Call me pessimistic but I don't see us beating Ole miss's high-powered offense, Florida Georgia Bama is just too far ahead of us right now. Kentucky is a really solid team this year and well-coached, and I know it's a rivalry but let's not be biased and naive to say they don't have the better team right now. If you want to argue Pitt by all means, but they're on the same level Kentucky if not better in my opinion.
I think Freshman running back Jaylen Wright with his speed will improve the performance level by at least .5 to 5/5.

I agree with this so much that I almost thought I wrote it. I’d say we beat South Carolina though.

Nice assessment my friend. But, my question @ your ranking is more procedural of the 1-5. It's hard to see a 3-9 (sec only of course) returning team w all new staff and many new players, not having any position group below 3. Better than 1/2 or avg. Rank em brutally. Our LBs 3:5 and it's a giant ? Position. Gotta go 1 or 2 there. Remember we are UT. Beating Vandy and USA are not even legit wins. They are more like exhibition party's at least for our standards. At this point we could lose either.
Hard to see 3 serious/no-cupcake wins on this schedule. So, I'd find it hard to rank any position group even a 3 at this point.
Jeremy Pruitt does not work here anymore.

Well done. Researched, fair and honest assessment from a poster who clearly knows the team and personnel.

I think UT will win 6 games. The 4 non-conference games plus some combination of two of these five: Mizzou/SC/Ole Miss/Kentucky/Vandy.

Well done. Researched, fair and honest assessment from a poster who clearly knows the team and personnel.

I think UT will win 6 games. The 4 non-conference games plus some combination of two of these five: Mizzou/SC/Ole Miss/Kentucky/Vandy.
No it's not. He forgot key players and he has us losing to South Carolina.- who also has a new coach who has NEVER been a HC.

Half-assed at best.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I think we’ll beat SC and Vandy easily. We come off a bye before UK, so I fully expect a win there, too.

No it's not. He forgot key players and he has us losing to South Carolina.- who also has a new coach who has NEVER been a HC.

Half-assed at best.

Cranky little Vol, aren’t you. I liked the post.

But your input is noted.

VN Store

Back