Preseason Portal Potential

mitzustu

Alliteration. 😉

Do the Vols take anyone from the portal before fall camp?

WR is a position that needs depth. As pointed out in another thread. We only have 8 scholly guys.

Maybe DT with the Terry departure?

We are talented at both positions.

Alliteration. 😉

WR is a position that needs depth. As pointed out in another thread. We only have 8 scholly guys.

they only have one scholarship spot available for the portal unless someone else leaves the team.. they might be able to convince someone to walkon from the portal

Reactions: Batman1948
We need a depth guy at QB, scholarship or NIL paid … just incase Milton is hurt early on and Nico isnt ready .. even if Nico is ready, his backup would be walkon .. so need a depth guy

Alliteration. 😉

Spillman makes 9. I suspect Seldon or even Sampson could play slot if needed.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Yea you can.. especially with joe being a senior and nico a freshman
That's a risk most quality QBs won't take. It would take a unique guy who wants to be on a higher level school rather than starting at a lower level school.

Nico in part because of reports and in part because of NIL... is an obstacle to getting a top tier QB transer.

I can't believe i'm the only VOLS fan on here that knows that the back 7 needs depth and good quality depth esepecially in the defensive backfield....
Unless someone transfers out... they can't afford to carry anymore guys back there. There are currently 19 DBs on the roster.

Reactions: KTrain
Not gonna convince a QB in the portal to be a benchwarmer
With NIL money you can find a decent depth guy. Imagine being a 2-3 year starter at a small program, no NFL future. Program like UT comes and offers 250K-500K (through NIL) to be back-up for a year. That's a great offer. You make some money, make connections for future if you want into coaching business and finally if things go really bad with injuries you get to start at UT. I do not see anything to lose for such QB guy providing depth.

With NIL money you can find a decent depth guy. Imagine being a 2-3 year starter at a small program, no NFL future. Program like UT comes and offers 250K-500K (through NIL) to be back-up for a year. That's a great offer. You make some money, make connections for future if you want into coaching business and finally if things go really bad with injuries you get to start at UT. I do not see anything to lose for such QB guy providing depth.

You think an NIL deal is gonna be offered for a guy to come and sit the bench? You cannot be serious. The only chance at another QB imo is a PWO.

You think an NIL deal is gonna be offered for a guy to come and sit the bench? You cannot be serious. The only chance at another QB imo is a PWO.

Schools will have to move to that model sooner or later. TN has 2 scholarship QBs, one of them is true freshman. They are one or two bad plays away from the entire season going from 10-11 wins to 5-6 wins. Is $250K or $500K worth the assurance than in worst case scenario this guy gets us to 8 or so wins and keep momentum going ? I absolutely think so.

$500K is a lot of money for most of us (for me definitely it is a lot ..lot) but for NIL folks it is not that big amount to buy an insurance policy sort of.

Schools will have to move to that model sooner or later. TN has 2 scholarship QBs, one of them is true freshman. They are one or two bad plays away from the entire season going from 10-11 wins to 5-6 wins. Is $250K or $500K worth the assurance than in worst case scenario this guy gets us to 8 or so wins and keep momentum going ? I absolutely think so.

$500K is a lot of money for most of us (for me definitely it is a lot ..lot) but for NIL folks it is not that big amount to buy an insurance policy sort of.
When one finds himself in a hole and wants to exit said hole, the first step is to stop digging.

VN Store

Back