Proof the CFP is about the "best" teams not the "most deserving"

Alot of Vol fans didn’t want to see them 3 peat and let’s be real if they had of got in the playoff they would’ve done it

I don’t care who makes the playoffs. At all. I’m just against any form of a “committee” picking the playoff teams. It ought to be predetermined by a set of criteria, like the nfl.

I’d be perfectly fine with saying it’s the top two teams from each of the p5 and two at large bids based on some kind of math. I don’t care who is seen as getting slighted. It’d be better than a committee picking and the pending second guessing.
EXACTLY. Tampa Bay is gonna make the playoffs in the NFL and I don't hear them anywhere near the 'best in the NFL' conversation.

Then your computer ain’t working. Bama just beat Ga. The back to back team with 30ish straight wins under their belt. Truth be told, Ga is prob still the best in football, but they weren’t that day. That game is what means much more than the sloppy Auburn win. You’re just cherry picking garbage at this point for your narrative.
So if bama had 2 losses and still beat GA, would they deserve a CFP spot ? Sounds like you’re saying yes. That GA win trumps all I guess ?

Winning doesn’t matter unless you win the right games. Got it.

I'm all about predetermined criteria, but for that you'd have to create more levels of schools. There's like 130 schools in the FBS and we all know some will never, ever have a chance at the playoff.

Having only a 4 team playoff determined by a group opinion is absurd. I say do 24 teams, just like the FCS does with no problem.
24 is way too many. 16 is where I think the line should be drawn. No byes. Top 8 host bottom 8 in round 1. After that, rounds 2, 3, and the championship game are all affiliated with the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Citrus Bowl, and Peach Bowl.

So if bama had 2 losses and still beat GA, would they deserve a CFP spot ? Sounds like you’re saying yes. That GA win trumps all I guess ?

Winning doesn’t matter unless you win the right games. Got it.
Arguing with you is worse than arguing with the old lady. She puts words in my mouth also. Of course if bama had 2 losses this wouldn’t be a conversation. Ga would’ve been in over FSU then.

Arguing with you is worse than arguing with the old lady. She puts words in my mouth also. Of course if bama had 2 losses this wouldn’t be a conversation. Ga would’ve been in over FSU then.
Poking holes in your flawed logic. I was assuming bama beat GA in the SECCG but had losses to TX and AUB.

So you’re saying GA would’ve been in even if they lost the SECCG ?? Make it make sense.

Poking holes in your flawed logic. I was assuming bama beat GA in the SECCG but had losses to TX and AUB.

So you’re saying GA would’ve been in even if they lost the SECCG ?? Make it make sense.
You’re trying to be to black and white. It’s not all “win and you’re in” as you make it. The committee outlines this. We don’t have to like it. Injuries matter, eyeball test matters, style points matter. It is what it is. Are you going to try and tell me a 1 loss SEC team is not most of the time better than a ACC champion? They are and you know it.

Oh look, another person ignoring their eye balls. P5 or not, FSU wasn’t one of the best 4 looking teams at years end. I’d argue they prob weren’t even top 8. It’s unfortunate but injuries matter. Bama and Georgia both should’ve been in before FSU. You just won’t let yourself say it due to your hatred of Bama and Ga. Good thing people like you dont run the committee. It would've been real fun watching FSU play liberty tomorrow. Spare me the opt out garbage to. They had the same opportunity to come play that Ga did. Would’ve been the same outcome in my opinion. Maybe a little better looking score. I do understand FSUs gripe. They did everything they could, they won. That doesn’t mean they were the best team EOS
They EARNED a spot. Bama didn't. I guess your parents failed to teach you about that.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
You’re trying to be to black and white. It’s not all “win and you’re in” as you make it. The committee outlines this. We don’t have to like it. Injuries matter, eyeball test matters, style points matter. It is what it is. Are you going to try and tell me a 1 loss SEC team is not most of the time better than a ACC champion? They are and you know it.
Then let's just do away with conferences altogether and run it like European soccer leagues. We could even have relegation between levels. At least the whole thing wouldn't be chosen by human beings that are more interested in the financial aspect of it

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
You do realize FSU has one starter playing on defense tonight right? And defense was their bread and butter. And the original starting qb transferred so they are playing with a third stringer. I loathe FSU but thinking they didn’t deserve to be in the playoff is a terrible take. Money and popularity have become the focus and Division one football will continue to become more and more corrupt.
Not to mention literally 80 to 90% of their scoring, running and passing yards missing. No team can withstand that and compete. Even Kirby Smart said all the opt outs had a huge effect on FSU. He knew they were playing a team that was hamstrung and took full advantage. Of course, there are folks that don’t want to see or understand that little fact because it doesn’t fit their narrative. Nobody should compare that performance to what FSU did in the regular season.

If it’s supposed to be the “best 4 teams”, can you explain why the committee let in TCU and Cincinnati in past years? There were teams obviously better than them. They have never used the criteria of the “best 4”. I’ve asked that question since FSU was screwed and nobody has answered that question. And neither can you.

Reactions: Carlitovol
If saying an undefeated P5 team deserves a spot in the CFP regardless of perceived SOS, then I guess I’m black and white.

I’m not gonna rehash the Michigan schedule thing but as I’ve said earlier in this thread there is no way you can argue MICH has had a tougher schedule than FSU. But yet MICH is the #1 team in the country and FSU gets left out.

That's where it’s totally subjective and biased.

Year in year out I would say that the Big 10 is weaker than the ACC because of the media bias.

I knew it was true and called it before it happened. FSU was never going to be in the CFP

Georgia stomping FSU into a mud hole is proof they never belonged in the CFP. People saying "an undefeated P5 team MUST go is total BS in a world where there's only 2 'real' P5 football conferences.

The reality is the CFP should have taken both Bama and Georgia.

Like Ricky Bobby said if you're not in the SEC, your LAST.
Two things number one :
Fsu had like 20 players opt out.
Number 2:
Georgia is the best team in the country, if they play Bama 10 times they beat them 9.

Why do you guys di**ride our in conference rivals? I hope Georgia and Alabama lose every game that they play. The more they win the further behind we fall behind… Why is this concept hard for some of you guys to discern…

How does bama deserve to go over Fsu ? Win and you’re in. It ain’t complicated. Don’t lose an early season game at home. Again it’s simple.
Question…If FSU was in either SEC East or SEC west this year, do you really believe they would have went undefeated?

Second question, if FSU would have been in SEC championship game without their starting QB would they have been undefeated?

Answer to first is doubtful, No way to second. UGA did not get in because they had to play Alabama In a real P5 championship game. If FSU had to play either UGA or Bama in the SEC championship game this would not be a discussion.

Games matter but what games should matter even more. If you play a cupcake schedule, undefeated just doesn’t mean as much even if you are in a “P5“ weak conference.

For your but Texas beat Bama argument yes it turned out to be a battle of Top 5 teams when Bama was breaking in a new QB the SECOND game of season. The statement has always been that early losses can be overcome.

Reactions: VolRage
Why are so many of you guys so dead set on not wanting the 4 best teams in the playoff?
Just wait until the ones wanting records instead of strength of record to get in sees what happens to their arguments when UT/SEC gets screwed for spots 8-11 when a 2 loss pac-? Or 2 loss ACC over 3 loss SEC team.

Those arguing for the pretty FSU record better start understanding the consequences of a w-l record vs quality/strength record because with the though SEC schedules moving forward SEC teams will be getting regularly screwed.

Question…If FSU was in either SEC East or SEC west this year, do you really believe they would have went undefeated?

Second question, if FSU would have been in SEC championship game without their starting QB would they have been undefeated?

Answer to first is doubtful, No way to second. UGA did not get in because they had to play Alabama In a real P5 championship game. If FSU had to play either UGA or Bama in the SEC championship game this would not be a discussion.

Games matter but what games should matter even more. If you play a cupcake schedule, undefeated just doesn’t mean as much even if you are in a “P5“ weak conference.

For your but Texas beat Bama argument yes it turned out to be a battle of Top 5 teams when Bama was breaking in a new QB the SECOND game of season. The statement has always been that early losses can be overcome.
1. Yes, depending on how the timing and schedule worked out -- if they played bama early season -- the same mighty Bama who squeaked by USF by 7... FSU would've easily run the table, SEC or not.

I'll ask you the same question about Michigan, the #1 football team in all of America according to the CFP committee.. If they played in the SEC east or west this year, how exactly would they fare? Hmmmmmmmmm......

2. Same question, directed toward Michigan. Would Michigan have been undefeated without their first string QB playing UGA? Hmmmmmm... Something tells me NOTTTTT....

The argument isn't specifically about the SEC and strength of schedule, although of course, that's part of the equation.

"Games matter, undefeated doesn't mean as much even if you are in a P5 weak conference"..

SO, do you think Michigan played a great strong schedule? And they deserve to be the #1 team in all the land because of their incredibly strong schedule? LOLOLOLOL.

This isn't just about Bama and a weak schedule. It's about the Big 10 and their unbelievably terribly weak schedule, even when compared to the ACC. Literal Hot Garbage!!!!

Just wait until the ones wanting records instead of strength of record to get in sees what happens to their arguments when UT/SEC gets screwed for spots 8-11 when a 2 loss pac-? Or 2 loss ACC over 3 loss SEC team.

Those arguing for the pretty FSU record better start understanding the consequences of a w-l record vs quality/strength record because with the though SEC schedules moving forward SEC teams will be getting regularly screwed.
So that SEC team with 3 losses deserves to be in the CFP, over and above the undefeated ACC champion. Wins don't matter, but your subjective SEC bias matters more. Got it.

So that SEC team with 3 losses deserves to be in the CFP, over and above the undefeated ACC champion. Wins don't matter, but your subjective SEC bias matters more. Got it.
3 games is a stretch. But yes most 1-2 loss SEC teams are better than the ACC champs as of late. It’s not subjective just bc you want it to be. There is proof. Aside from OSU or MI over the last years look at the SEC domination over the last years. Clemson was the exception but now they are down. You can scream P5 all you want but realistically it’s the P2 right now.

3 games is a stretch. But yes most 1-2 loss SEC teams are better than the ACC champs as of late. It’s not subjective just bc you want it to be. There is proof. Aside from OSU or MI over the last years look at the SEC domination over the last years. Clemson was the exception but now they are down. You can scream P5 all you want but realistically it’s the P2 right now.
To your point, the Big 10 is a better conference then ACC and the tOSU just got beat by 10-2 Mizz who was 3-5 place team in SEC with 2 loses and tOSU was one touchdown away from being the Big 10 champ.

With @Carlitovol logic, an undefeated FSU and a 1 loss Clemson next year would knock out a 2 loss Mizz, LSU or Ole Miss using this years SEC records just because the 1 Loss Clemson is from the might P5 ACC.

We have to get to Strength of Record, not strength of schedule, conference or team name. Period.

To your point, the Big 10 is a better conference then ACC and the tOSU just got beat by 10-2 Mizz who was 3-5 place team in SEC with 2 loses and tOSU was one touchdown away from being the Big 10 champ.

With @Carlitovol logic, an undefeated FSU and a 1 loss Clemson next year would knock out a 2 loss Mizz, LSU or Ole Miss using this years SEC records just because the 1 Loss Clemson is from the might P5 ACC.

We have to get to Strength of Record, not strength of schedule, conference or team name. Period.
Big 10 is not a better conference than the ACC so your whole premise is shot to hell.

3/4 of big 10 teams have incredibly anemic offenses and because of that are literally no threat to the other 1/4 of the conference. It’s by far the most top heavy and overrated conference in CFB.

Let me ask you this - if you could have the Vols play in either the big 10 or ACC to have an easier path to the CFP, which would you play in ?

Well I would choose the big 10 all day long and twice on Sundays.

When you start comparing teams that have blemishes on their record , the argument starts to change because the playing field has been evened. The SEC typically deserves the benefit of the doubt - I agree with that. If FSU had a loss we wouldn’t be having this conversation. They wouldn’t have deserved it , just like bama and TX have no excuses. You want a guaranteed spot in the CFP? Just win. Don’t complain and bring the excuses about the eye test and early season losses and all that. Once again it ain’t complicated. Just win.

FSU played basically their entire 2nd string vs UGA's mostly 1st string. Anyone who thought this wouldn't be a blowout was fooling themselves.

If Bama played Ty Simpson and almost their entire 2nd string offense/defense vs UGA, they would have gotten trounced by 40+ as well.

Reactions: WillisWG

VN Store

Back