"Pruitt shouldn't have coached bama in NC game"

people have been vindicated. It clearly hurt us.

inb4 it was the recruiting dead period. Please don't say this, it'll only prove your ignorance on how coaches really treat the dead period.

So bama got another championship and UT got a bunch of back up plan commits late on national signing day when we whiffed on the guys we really needed.

...but Pruitt finished what he started, right pumpers?

The sky is not falling but NOT a good start.

did you just copy and paste this bull**** from the FF forums?

So you wanted Steele? Or Tucker?

Not necessarily, but Pruitt would have been dumb to not accept a job with a massive pay raise over coaching in a playoff. That's why I said that Fulmer should have never agreed to it.

You can sign all the star players you want, wear smokey greys, checkerboard the stands, make hype videos. Whatever floats your boat. In the end it's about winning games. He'll get 3,4,5 years whatever it may be. Should know pretty much what we have pretty quick. This isn't a complete rebuild like Jones did. If he is the guy we're going to probably know at least by year 2.. Screw the 5 year rebuilds, it doesn't take that long.. This class wasn't going to be great, i expect next year to be top 10 or something is wrong.

It's a full rebuild. Talent is better, but S&C and brand perception are way worse. Exceeding expectations in year 1 may undo some of the damage, but it's going to be an uphill climb for CJP. He must succeed.

inb4 it was the recruiting dead period. Please don't say this, it'll only prove your ignorance on how coaches really treat the dead period.

So bama got another championship and UT got a bunch of back up plan commits late on national signing day when we whiffed on the guys we really needed.

So....you realize while preparing for a bowl game, staffs still recruit, right? Surely you don’t think Saban and the rest of the Bama staff stopped recruiting then.

When they were recruiting, so was Pruitt

Reactions: 1 person
You really think Pruitt would have said no had Fulmer not agreed? Also, I highly doubt you wanted Pruitt from day one. He was thrown into our lap because of the circumstance.

Wasn’t on my radar. After Schiano or Doeren? He was tops by the time Fulmer took over. He wouldn’t have accepted the job without being allowed to finish his season at Bama. Yea, I BELIEVE that. The night of the hire, we had posters fretting about VQ rumors that it was the hangup that would kill the deal. Huge consensus screamed for Fulmer to agree. Not laying a percentage of the fanbase on that small sampling of course. I guess I was realistic about this recruiting class and will judge from here on out...not by these IF’S that paralyze our reason. I’m attempting a different approach on this hire. I’ll take it on face value by what happens in real time. Less reading the positive spin...see how it works.

It's a full rebuild. Talent is better, but S&C and brand perception are way worse. Exceeding expectations in year 1 may undo some of the damage, but it's going to be an uphill climb for CJP. He must succeed.

I'm satisfied with what the staff was able to do considering.. What I'm most interested in is what kind of developpment we see this year.. If the team improves fundamentally, wins one maybe two they're not favored in and doesn't lose any they shouldn't, we will be just fine..

I love how folks pretend to know how things would have played out if Pruitt hadn't coach Bama after being named head coach at UT.
Oh yea, IT WAS DURING THE DEAD PERIOD!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Only Going Off Thread Title. But It Only Helped If Anything. Our HC winning a NC is not what hurt us

Lots of questions, but he has bodies. Butch didn't have much when he got here. Pruitt was left with some pieces. The mental part may be the hardest to fix.. Then of course he has to not suck on gameday like Butch did.

I saw this post coming last week :):):):)

Just wait until we lose a couple of games with this staff. I bet the knives are being sharpened now. Love this place :):)

I put a lot of blame on Fulmer for even letting that happen. I knew from the get go that it was a bad decision.

raw

We sure got some candy a$$ fans around here..

LOL, it's kind of amusing. Folks gettin' all butthurt over where a 17-18 year old kid attends college. Then you have the ones all disappointed, whiney and throwing shade at a football coach who's been on the job for around 2.5 months. On top of it all, they think the 3 weeks out of those 2 months he wasn't here is the reason we didn't sign a top 15 class. :rofl:

Some are just clueless, I guess. :dunno:

Where can we jettison some of these fans?

High expectations are one thing. Expecting the same results after one month that typically take a year or more to extract is another. We got top 20 like results with 5 minutes left in the freaking game. The guy hasn't even had a damn practice session with his team yet.

The choice was literally:

a) wait on Pruitt and/or Mel Tucker and finish recruiting the best we could, or:
b) after Schiano-Gate, hire someone on the level of the West Texas A&M safeties coach who could start immediately, so that he could go ahead and sign the best 2-stars the state of Texas had to offer.

or option c) hire proven winner Mike Leach, who had practically already signed a contract.

The criticism of Pruitt is not without merit. Trying to serve two masters did hurt this class somewhat, imo. The upside is that if Pruitt's demonstrated abilities as a coordinator translate well to the head coaching position, then 3-4 years from now we won't be worrying about how this class was ranked.

It did not hurt us. The majority of the time he was back at Ala was during the holidays and quiet period. I promise you his phone worked fine in Tuscaloosa,Nola and Atlanta.

Reactions: 1 person

Sthu

Absolutely right OP! Coming off of 4-8, there is no excuse whatsoever in not signing more 4 and 5 star players. Geesh!!!

or option c) hire proven winner Mike Leach, who had practically already signed a contract.

The criticism of Pruitt is not without merit. Trying to serve two masters did hurt this class somewhat, imo. The upside is that if Pruitt's demonstrated abilities as a coordinator translate well to the head coaching position, then 3-4 years from now we won't be worrying about how this class was ranked.

This.

I personally agree- he shouldn't have coached Bama in the playoff. However, no one will regret it more than Pruitt himself. It was his call, and I suspect he already wishes he hadn't done it. The only thing that matters now is coaching up the talent we have and seeing what he can do with it.

How’s Leach’s class looking? :question:

VN Store

Back