Purdue in final four

33 total fouls in the game. 3...THREE...called on Edey. For me, it just highlights that there was no way we would be permitted to beat Purdue and make the final 4. This was the matchup they wanted all along and nothing was gonna stop them from having it.

We had the same plan, but Edey sat at the FT line

View attachment 633136
I watched the first half only and I thought UConn was being equally as physical as Awaka with Edey in fighting for post position. Why did UConn get called for half as many fouls? Gotta be hard for our players and staff to accept the randomness in how games are officiated, assuming they are done without intended bias.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
I watched the first half only and I thought UConn was being equally as physical as Awaka with Edey in fighting for post position. Why did UConn get called for half as many fouls? Gotta be hard for our players and staff to accept the randomness in how games are officiated, assuming they are done without intended bias.
It was not random and it was fueled by bias. We never had a chance.

Reactions: TNgradmom
It was not random and it was fueled by bias. We never had a chance.
Easy to understand why you would have this opinion, but there’s no real evidence to support it. I would lose all interest in sports if it comes to light that the outcomes are predetermined - hope it never comes to that.

I was glad to see Purdue get outclassed, but UConn is downright scary. Afraid we will see them at the top for the foreseeable future. Athletic had an article about this offense being so hard to stop. They were also able to guard the 3s without giving up easy shots inside. Certainly helped to have bonafide 7 footer who could hang with Edey.

Reactions: volfeeva
UConn really was incredible to watch. Every single player was composed, smooth, and seemed to have a sky-high basketball IQ. I especially loved watching them break Purdue's press—they made it seem like a cakewalk every time.

It was quite an experience. I honestly would've loved to see the Vols match up against them, because UConn completely exposed how vulnerable Purdue was outside of Edey. Every other player looked awful. I am DEFINITELY not saying we would've beaten them, but there's a large part of me that thinks we could've given them a better fight.

Still, one of the most impressive teams I've ever watched.

And hook and hold, lowering the shoulder to make space. It’s so surreal seeing him get away with that stuff and wondering if you’re the only one seeing it seeing it. I’ll never understand how 3 officials who undergo training and are graded and keep missing it. At least he got called for traveling a couple times.
At one point, UCONN’s 2 big men had 4 fouls each and they brought in a smaller guy to guard Edey because they didn’t have a choice. Edey dropped a shoulder and rammed it right into the guys face and they called nothing. I’d be shocked if anyone else in the country could get away with that.

UConn really was incredible to watch. Every single player was composed, smooth, and seemed to have a sky-high basketball IQ. I especially loved watching them break Purdue's press—they made it seem like a cakewalk every time.

It was quite an experience. I honestly would've loved to see the Vols match up against them, because UConn completely exposed how vulnerable Purdue was outside of Edey. Every other player looked awful. I am DEFINITELY not saying we would've beaten them, but there's a large part of me that thinks we could've given them a better fight.

UConn’s guards have incredible length and their gameplay wasn’t too dissimilar to ours but they had an easier time shutting down Edey’s supporting cast

Edey did get 3 fouls called on him, he must have felt it was so unfair.

It seemed to me once UConn took and maintained a double digit lead in the 2nd half Edey suddenly got 3 fouls called and a travel. Almost as if once it was basically a foregone conclusion they finally stopped protecting the big guy.

Any given game he could easily be called for 2-3 fouls a half and several travels and 3 secs. To go thru the tourney, and season, with Edey regularly only picking up 1 foul or less and then 3 in the 2nd half of this game that was out of hand is very telling.

At one point, UCONN’s 2 big men had 4 fouls each and they brought in a smaller guy to guard Edey because they didn’t have a choice. Edey dropped a shoulder and rammed it right into the guys face and they called nothing. I’d be shocked if anyone else in the country could get away with that.
It’s unreal. It’s really the craziest thing I’ve ever seen in college basketball. Never seen one player just have a different set of rules and it apparently not even be a secret. I really want officials to have to answer questions from media after games. The broadcast team doesn’t even mention it. It’s unreal.

I particularly watched Edey for lane violation’s in the NC State game. They didn’t call any again, but I didn’t see any blatant ones like the ones that weren’t called in the Tennessee game. I would speculate the referees informed Painter lane violations would be called and he alerted Edey. He definitely camped out against us.
Has anybody done a video montage of all of his uncalled violations against us showing him in the lane for more than 3 seconds? It would be nice to be able to link for opposing fans.

33 total fouls in the game. 3...THREE...called on Edey. For me, it just highlights that there was no way we would be permitted to beat Purdue and make the final 4. This was the matchup they wanted all along and nothing was gonna stop them from having it.
Which sucks because TN/UConn would’ve been a much better game.

Reactions: mercuryvol
I have to give Edey credit- if I was a hideous, low-IQ, 7-foot tall unathletic monster I'd do what I could to make a career camping under the rim just being big.

I have to give Edey credit- if I was a hideous, low-IQ, 7-foot tall unathletic monster I'd do what I could to make a career camping under the rim just being big.

He might be really intelligent. Not getting called for fouls isn’t all on the refs. Knowing what you will get away with takes some smarts.

Dan Hurley is at the top of his game right now. His offense executes to precision, draws up great sets out of time outs, his players are totally bought into his hard coaching and culture. He’s a perfect fit at UConn, would not surprise me to see them go for a 3-peat next year. Hard to believe early in his career, he felt he could never measure up. His father and his brother’s success was a large mountain to overcome for him. Even as an adult, he wanted his father’s appreciation. His will to succeed is matched with his intensity to win. Basketball is truly his entire life. All the success he is having is well earned and he is set for life financially and his family. Hard work and trust in a system does indeed produce winning results. 4 years ago he told the basketball world that UCONN was coming, and he was right. UCONN has truly climbed to the top of college basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudden Impact

VN Store

Back