QB Harrison Bailey Putting in the work this offseason

I can see a lot of us are QB non-believers after the JG era. No matter how many times we were told he was doing awesome and had solidified the starting position, we were all left scratching our heads watching him play. It sure would be nice for a Tennessee QB to come out firing on all cylinders that first game. I think if the QB position is solid to great that first game, there will be a collective sigh of relief. It feels like it's been so long, and we've had plenty of good ones. Here's to it being our time again. At least at the QB position.

Generally, the expressions are used to say that the real worth, success, or effectiveness of something can only be determined by putting it to the test by trying or using it, appearances and promises aside—just as the best test of a pudding is to eat it.
Try to google "the proof is in the putting" vs "the proof is in the pudding"
^^^^ grammar Nazi

Does not matter. He will not take a snap in the regular season, for the Power T. Might as well stay sharp, for The Transfer Portal. He is not Heupel's kind of QB. He will excel somewhere else. He came in the #3 QB. He came out of the spring a strong #3 QB. Now, with the transfer from Michigan, he will fall even further down the depth chart. He's just not a QB that you can draw up designed runs for.

Drew Lock says hey.

I am all but certain that the QBs ability to manage the offense and, more importantly, make accurate throws on time mean a whole lot more than designed runs.

Don't quit your day job. And don't bet the house on the above prognostication.

You may have missed this, but there is more to the QB position than scrambling. One or two players here and there have actually excelled at the position with roughly zero scrambling ability; one of them that currently plays for the NFL team in Tampa has even won a couple SBs. Though I'm not by any means sold on our present coach, offense is his main thing, and he played QB, so he might be aware of what I have written above.

Short version: Bailey's a better QB than the other guys, and will start.
If he quickens his release adds a little more speed and keeps learning he’ll be solid to great. It’ll help actually playing in a modern offense

It wouldn’t be a Vol off-season if there weren’t threads about how “player x” was working so hard during the off-season. Not saying you are wrong at all, but I am in a “show me” state of mind. I am not going to get the least bit excited until I see it reflected on the field during a real game.

It wouldn’t be a Vol off-season if there weren’t threads about how “player x” was working so hard during the off-season. Not saying you are wrong at all, but I am in a “show me” state of mind. I am not going to get the least bit excited until I see it reflected on the field during a real game.
You mean we don’t get to play the games on a treadmill?

Reactions: nuclearjunky
You mean we don’t get to play the games on a treadmill?
Ha ha
I am just sick and tired of the Vol Spin Groundhog Day. Coach X “gets it”. Our new S&C program is going to let us complete. Player Y is stepping up and becoming a leader calling out his teammates. Payer Z is staying late to watch film.
It is the same song and dance every summer and the hype builds to a crescendo before the crash to reality when September arrives.
I am just not doing that any more. Win some dang ball games. Beat some rivals. That is all I care about any more. I’m tired Boss.
D47B9269-4601-441D-B087-CB78EF631D57.png

If he quickens his release adds a little more speed and keeps learning he’ll be solid to great. It’ll help actually playing in a modern offense
wait a minute, you sayin' handing awf to a 240 lb back isnt modern? bbbbbbut bamugh!

Playing any position of football at the atypical D-1 level requires an atypical amount/type of "work". Like many of their offseasons prior, I can assure you HB, and all other QBs/positions, are putting in a tremendous amount of work this summer.

Ha ha
I am just sick and tired of the Vol Spin Groundhog Day. Coach X “gets it”. Our new S&C program is going to let us complete. Player Y is stepping up and becoming a leader calling out his teammates. Payer Z is staying late to watch film.
It is the same song and dance every summer and the hype builds to a crescendo before the crash to reality when September arrives.
I am just not doing that any more. Win some dang ball games. Beat some rivals. That is all I care about any more. I’m tired Boss.
View attachment 369307
Never bothered me.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Don't quit your day job. And don't bet the house on the above prognostication.

You may have missed this, but there is more to the QB position than scrambling. One or two players here and there have actually excelled at the position with roughly zero scrambling ability; one of them that currently plays for the NFL team in Tampa has even won a couple SBs. Though I'm not by any means sold on our present coach, offense is his main thing, and he played QB, so he might be aware of what I have written above.

Short version: Bailey's a better QB than the other guys, and will start.
I hope you are correct. I just don't think he fits Heupel's mold, and I don't see him starting over Mauer, Hooker or Milton. You can incorporate DESIGNED QB RUNS with those three, and Salter. You can't(Successfully) do that with Bailey. I wasn't even talking about scrambling. Bailey can move enough to find a passing lane and get his passes off, or scramble for a few yards, and move the chains. He has GREAT POCKET PRESENCE. But, he's no real threat to run. He's not going to break one off for 50, like the other three can. Designed QB runs are a part of Heupel's offense, and they add a nice wrinkle. With Hooker, you are going to be forced to keep a LB Spy loose, to account for him. That opens up more options, throwing the ball.
Bailey is not better. He's different. Bailey is more of an NFL style QB. Well, a throwback pro style QB. Which are becoming more and more rare, these days.

Last edited:
Drew Lock says hey.

I am all but certain that the QBs ability to manage the offense and, more importantly, make accurate throws on time mean a whole lot more than designed runs.
Bailey came into spring as QB3. He faced the #1 defense only once. Where as Mauer faced them four times, and Hooker three times. When I asked Billy Ratliff what could be read into that, his reply was that definitely means that Hooker and Mauer are ahead of Bailey. Bailey threw three TD passes. One against a walk on. One other was an obvious blown coverage. I just don't think Heupel is all-in on HB. But, he isn't all-in on any of them. So he brings in another 5 star potential starter, from Michigan.

I hope you are correct. I just don't think he fits Heupel's mold, and I don't see him starting over Mauer, Hooker or The Michigan transfer. You can incorporate DESIGNED QB RUNS with those three, and Salter. You can't(Successfully) do that with Bailey. I wasn't even talking about scrambling. Bailey can move enough to find a passing lane and get his passes off, or scramble for a few yards, and move the chains. He has GREAT POCKET PRESENCE. But, he's no real threat to run. He's not going to break one off for 50, like the other three can. Designed QB runs are a part of Heupel's offense, and they add a nice wrinkle. With Hooker, you are going to be forced to keep a LB Spy loose, to account for him. That opens up more options, throwing the ball.
Bailey is not better. He's different. Bailey is more of an NFL style QB. Well, a throwback pro style QB. Which are becoming more and more rare, these days.

So you’re saying IF HB is the best in the group at making the reads and putting the ball on receivers on time, in stride, CJH won’t play him because he can’t run as well as some of the other guys?

So you’re saying IF HB is the best in the group at making the reads and putting the ball on receivers on time, in stride, CJH won’t play him because he can’t run as well as some of the other guys?
I'm saying he was QB#3, after spring. He's probably QB#4, with Milton coming in. Bottom line, CJH was unsure enough, about his QB room, to reach out and pull in a wildcard, in Milton.
You seem to be stuck on Bailey. Much like I was, after the spring game. Then I went back and really watched it. I paid attention to whom he was working with and going against. I'm not nearly as impressed, as I was before. Not just with Bailey. But with any of the QB's.

VN Store

Back