Question about hotels for my first game?

Hey guys, hoping you can help me. I'm transplanted from Boston, now living in Memphis for work for a few years. Going to a UT game has been on my bucket list and I have a couple buddies coming down for the Oregon game. I'm trying to plan the trip and was hoping you could advise me a bit. It looks like I'm too late for a downtown hotel, but in looking at the other options, I found a bunch about 4-5 miles from town (this mainstay suites is one I saw Extended Stay Hotels Knoxville: Mainstay Suites hotel Knoxville TN). Or there are hotels near the airport. I'm not looking for luxury, just looking for the ease of getting to and from the stadium/downtown. We'll be drinking so won't be driving and will need a cab/bus or something from the hotel to the game. Is that pretty easy to get, particularly from these hotels outside of downtown?

also, in looking for seats, how fluctuating are the prices? Am I better off securing tickets now, or is it more likely for more tickets (at more reasonable prices) to become available as the game comes closer? What's face on the tickets and what is a reasonable amount to pay (preferably lower level)?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to do this trip right.

Thanks for your help

Pat

Speaking of Hotels, I just stayed at Hotel Indigo in Athens... Unreal - If you get a chance (and have a little extra cash) it will change your life!

I drive down from Indianapolis. I'm just fortunate to have free lodging...but I have friends who always stay downtown. They don't usually have a problem.

Hey guys, hoping you can help me. I'm transplanted from Boston, now living in Memphis for work for a few years. Going to a UT game has been on my bucket list and I have a couple buddies coming down for the Oregon game. I'm trying to plan the trip and was hoping you could advise me a bit. It looks like I'm too late for a downtown hotel, but in looking at the other options, I found a bunch about 4-5 miles from town (this mainstay suites is one I saw Extended Stay Hotels Knoxville: Mainstay Suites hotel Knoxville TN). Or there are hotels near the airport. I'm not looking for luxury, just looking for the ease of getting to and from the stadium/downtown. We'll be drinking so won't be driving and will need a cab/bus or something from the hotel to the game. Is that pretty easy to get, particularly from these hotels outside of downtown?

also, in looking for seats, how fluctuating are the prices? Am I better off securing tickets now, or is it more likely for more tickets (at more reasonable prices) to become available as the game comes closer? What's face on the tickets and what is a reasonable amount to pay (preferably lower level)?

Thanks for your help

Pat

Two years ago I came down for UF, Bama...paid under 50 each time, UF game sat on the 40 in the dry, Bama game sat on the 45 in the dry.

Last year I came down for the South Carolina game...sat on the 35 yardline in the dry (it was pouring) and only paid 20 bucks. Paid 45 for first row box seats upper deck on about the 45 yard line for the UGA game

Recently...scalping has been super easy and cheap. If you don't mind where you sit, 20 dollars tickets are a plenty if you wait until closer to kickoff.

I've been scalping for years now. I get my season tickets and immediately sell them. Usually make 200 or so on them (this year a bit rougher, but not bad). I won't pay more than 50 for seats, and it's not been an issue for a long time.

Good luck finding one. I am searching for a room for the Florida weekend, and EVERYTHING even remotely close is booked. The closest I have found is a few rooms at the Cedar Bluff exit, west of town (12ish miles). I actually made a safety booking at an airport hotel. It was way better than some of the flea bags (Ramada @ West Town I'm looking in your direction) that were still available in West Knoxville. I have never stayed near the airport, but it is a straight shot, about 12 miles, down Alcoa Highway. Not too bad.

A couple of the places still available out there were fairly new, and pretty decent looking. Not ideal, but better than nothing. My girlfriend reminded that it could be worse...I could be stuck in Nashville that weekend.

I have stayed out that way for several years. Easy in and out. Back at hotel in 30 minutes (not that I leave immediately after game). very little traffic.

I park in lot 9 and just have to drop out on Neyland Drive. Quick shot to Kingston Pike and right onto 129..Might be more difficult if you have to find parking

Speaking of Hotels, I just stayed at Hotel Indigo in Athens... Unreal - If you get a chance (and have a little extra cash) it will change your life!

How did you find that hotel? Rainbow.com?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Someone in this post suggested renting a house on Watts Bar Lake and I think that is a terrific idea. Roane County is only 20 minutes from Knoxville so it is an easy drive and fall is a gorgeous time to be on the water. For accommodations try Tennessee Lakefront Cottages where you will find a number of privately owned cabins right on the water for any size group. The Whitestone Country Inn is not only on Watts Bar Lake but has views of the Smoky Mountains - but schedule in time for a massage while there. Woodland Cove B&B is also right on the lake with fabulous views. If you have an RV reserve a lakeside spot at Caney Creek RV Resort & Marina. They even rent campers if you don't want to bring your own. There are a number of hotels as well as campgrounds off of the water so visit the Roane County Visitor's Bureau for a complete list 'Where to Stay.'

Thanks for your help

Pat

Pat. I've stayed there 4-5 times and it's a pretty decent hotel with some good rest. near by. I'd stay there again.

Hey guys..can anyone suggest any good hotels that arent downtown..found out everything is a 2 day minimum. We will be driving in from Texas for the Florida game and just thought I would check with you guys. Thanks!

I usually stay at the Family Inns of America motel that is located in Alcoa. Not the most glamourous of places, but it gives me a bed and shower, and that's all that I need.

Plus, it's only $50, so quite a bit cheaper than a lot of places on gameday weekend. And if you know the back way through South Knox, then getting to Alcoa isn't that bad, since it avoids a lot of traffic congestion.

My wife book at hotel roughly 4 miles away and it is for the Florida Game. I can't wait to see the Vols live in person for the first time ever!!! Go Vols.

Anyone know anything about the Comfort Suites North located on Central Ave Pike? Driving in from Texas and they have rooms available for the Florida game. Says it only 4-5 miles from campus and its the only thing close I can find that doesnt require a 2 day minimum. We will be coming to Knoxville from the South so I wasnt sure if it made since to stay here. Any other suggestions about anything south of town?

Anyone know anything about the Comfort Suites North located on Central Ave Pike? Driving in from Texas and they have rooms available for the Florida game. Says it only 4-5 miles from campus and its the only thing close I can find that doesnt require a 2 day minimum. We will be coming to Knoxville from the South so I wasnt sure if it made since to stay here. Any other suggestions about anything south of town?

It's fine. Not much traffic there(in comparison). Right off the interstate and easy to find. In/Out easy. Gas station close by and also "chili dog" type deli at the station (supposed to be good for plain food). N. of Knoxville about 3-4 miles.

Edit: On second thought...it might be the one that is closer to town (about 2 miles). If it is-it's still right next to the interstate, but busier...lots of gas stations and some restaurants. More traffic. It's not in a bad place to stay. Safe and clean.

Last edited:
Stay at the Hilton downtown. That's where I'm staying for the weekend of the first game. It's very nice. I stayed there last year. Nice restaurant and bar. Not far of a walk either. The Holiday Inn downtown is nice too. It's a little closer too.

If you don't care which side of town you stay on, and don't like to be in traffic, I would suggest staying on the east side of downtown. The Strawberry Plains exit is good as some others have stated on here. The traffic going east after the games is nothing compared to traffic going west. Just don't stay anywhere on Magnolia Ave.....:whistling:

VN Store

Back