Randy Sanders, I believe, was the First to do this?

volholio

When Erik Ainge and Brent Schaeffer were true freshmen, and Randy Sanders was OC. Randy Sanders made the call, unprecedented at the time, to start a freshman at QB. What is more, CRS wanted both Schaeffer and Ainge to play. But they were freshmen, and CRS / CPF didn't trust the offense in the hands of true freshmen, so they came up with a plan, and I am thinking it was the first time it was done in major college football:

The QB would huddle the team. Get to the line; force the defense to show their hand. The QB would step back and turn to CRS, and CRS would then signal the play.

I think Spurrier was doing something kinda sorta like that, but not as deliberately as CRS.

Anyone remember anyone else doing it before CRS? It's now totally common, but I think CRS was the first to do it like this.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I just remember they would always line up and based on the defense, they would audible. Constantly watched us snapping the ball inside 5 or 6 seconds on the playclock.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
When Erik Ainge and Brent Schaeffer were true freshmen, and Randy Sanders was OC. OC made the call, unprecedented at the time, to start a freshman at QB. What is more, CRS wanted both Schaeffer and Ainge to play. But they were freshmen, and CRS / CPF didn't trust the offense in the hands of true freshmen, so they came up with a plan, and I am thinking it was the first time it was done in major college football:

The QB would huddle the team. Get to the line; force the defense to show their hand. The QB would step back and turn to CRS, and CRS would then signal the play.

I think Spurrier was doing something kinda sorta like that, but not as deliberately as CRS.

Anyone remember anyone else doing it before CRS? It's now totally common, but I think CRS was the first to do it like this.

Thoughts?
We did that under Dooley and now Pruitt also

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
First time I ever remember seeing that was when we played Clemson in the Peach Bowl. They called plays like that all night.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
When Erik Ainge and Brent Schaeffer were true freshmen, and Randy Sanders was OC. Randy Sanders made the call, unprecedented at the time, to start a freshman at QB. What is more, CRS wanted both Schaeffer and Ainge to play. But they were freshmen, and CRS / CPF didn't trust the offense in the hands of true freshmen, so they came up with a plan, and I am thinking it was the first time it was done in major college football:

Thoughts?

Actually, it was not a difficult decision. Play Leak, who was a Wake Forest transfer who could not learn the play book OR play one of two incoming freshmen
I think we all would have made the same decision

Not going to lie, I loved that uniform.
Funny how we can be so different on something like that, but I hated them. I mean, I don't care at all as long as they are orange and white and not gray or black or whatever, but that jersey would be my very last choice.

If Randy Sanders invented the no huddle then Eddie Lacy invented the spin move.
It’s not the no huddle. It’s setting up the offense and then getting play signal once lined up.

I agree, I don’t remember other teams doing it, now they all do.

Reactions: OneVolNation
Probably a Tony Franklin thing, honestly. I remember doing that in high school out of a no huddle when we were running hurry up.

It sounds a lot like what they call "The Sugar Huddle."

Sam Wyche was the first to do it in the NFL in the mid-eighties, if I remember right, but I may be wrong.
I don't know about college.

I thought I remembered an article saying the coach called it from the sideline too, but I'd have to
refresh my memory banks. Anything that keeps the defense off balance and unsure of themselves
is a good offensive strategy to bring to the table in my layman's opinion.

Last edited:
I thought he created the two runs up the middle for two yards, one incomplete or screen pass for two more yards, and then punt offense. He ran that to perfection.

Funny how we can be so different on something like that, but I hated them. I mean, I don't care at all as long as they are orange and white and not gray or black or whatever, but that jersey would be my very last choice.
Should we commence to name calling now or save our differences for another time? Tis the Volnation way.🤔

VN Store

Back