Ranking TN's past Sweet 16 games

As others have said... That 2000 loss to UNC still hurts. We'd have (I believe) gotten Tulsa in the EE and a Florida team we swept in the regular season in the FF.

Everybody talks about last year but that was probably the biggest blown opportunity in the history of our program.

Julius Peppers beat us that night. He was critical for NC down the stretch.

Sorta invalidates UCLA's run. No way they win that many championships if they had to win 6 games per tourney.

With Alcindor & Walton they’d won all they wanted. The only questionable ones may have been 1 or 2 between them. NOBODY was playing with those two guys in college. Walton went crazy his Sr year, fought with Wooden constantly, and they lost to David Thompson & NC ST in the final four in GREENSBORO NC!!! Otherwise it would have been 6 straight. (They weren’t eligible as freshmen or they’d won it all then).

Alcindor’s freshman team dominated the varsity in practice during that season.

I still have a dream once in a while where Ramar Smith passes to an open Wayne Chism in the S16 game against Ohio State and we win in 2007

I often fantasize that, in 2010, Scotty Hopson hits his 2nd free throw and gives our team a better chance to get back and play better D. It may not have made a difference but in my fantasy it totally does.

OP update:

1. 2010 beat Ohio State 76 - 73 (only time we made it to Elite 8)
2. 2019 lost to Purdue in OT 99 - 94 (had Lamonte not fouled, we win the game. In no way am I placing responsibility of loss on him though)
3. 2007 lost to Ohio State 84 - 85 (Greg Oden blocks Ramar Smith to end the game, OSU lost in championship to Florida)
4. 2000 lost to UNC 69 - 74 (Ron Slay missed a layup to tie the game with 30 seconds left, UNC lost in Final 4)
5. 2014 lost to Michigan 71 - 73 (Jarnell charge call with 6 seconds remaining down 1, UM lost in Elite 8 to Kentucky)
6. 2008 lost to Louisville 60 - 79
7. 1981 lost to Virginia 48 - 62 (only 32 teams in tournament, so we beat VCU in first round then lost)
8. 1967 lost to Dayton 52 - 53 (only 16 teams in tournament, so this was "opening round")

VN Store

Back