Reasons to be excited about Debord

What I like about debord is butch was his oc. Butch must have felt that debord had great input as the hc. Must of had great working relationship As long as debord realizes that butch is the man now it should work out great. Much more play calling experience. Should be a good tutor for ca. From what I have read he should be able to adjust play calling based upon personnel and opponent. That was the biggest problem I saw last yr. lots of ol and te coaching experience. Vast knowledge of football will translate to good qb coach if necessary. Flame away.

Reactions: 1 person
Unless Butch is just making him a co-coordinator then we shouldn't expect the offense to be anything better than average to below average. The rest of the SEC is probably laughing their butts off at this hire. :sad:

Fully agree. For better or worse, UGA, UF, Bama, LSU, etc are the yardsticks against which UT is measured. To get back on top, we must not only have better players than those schools, we must have a HC and assistant coaches who are better than their HC and assistants. We must match or better the current top tier SEC schools in every phase of a football program in order to be one of them.

I cannot imagine for a moment that any of the schools mentioned above would give someone with DeBord's resume as second look, let alone hire him.

Someone mentioned that hiring an OC isn't the same as hiring a HC. True. But let's compare what Bama did a few years ago with what UT did. When they fired Mike Shula in 2006, they hired a coach who had won a NC at LSU and coached 2 years in the NFL. When Lane Kiffin left UT after 2009, UT hired as HC a mediocrity from Louisiana Tech. We all know how those hires panned out. If you are willing to settle for mediocrity, for 3rd rate coaching talent, that is what you will get.

Looking at his resume and recent work, DeBord is 3rd rate coaching talent. His main qualification is that he is an old crony of the HC. Can UT become a football powerhouse again when Butch Jones hires assistants on the basis of cronyism? No. I do not think so.

Unless Butch is just making him a co-coordinator then we shouldn't expect the offense to be anything better than average to below average. The rest of the SEC is probably laughing their butts off at this hire. :sad:

I'm pretty sure they are laughing at this thread

I'm not too jazzed about promoting a GA to coach our QB's. I sincerely hope that will not be the case. Sheridan is barely out of college himself and hardly what I would call qualified as an expert.

I came up with these when his name was brought up 2 weeks ago. I'm good with the hire because Butch clearly is no moran.

positives for DeBord hire

was willing to run our playbook (because his was eaten by moths)
Butch is comfy with him (dibsies on top bunk)
looks like Fulmer
had his success in our glory years so he'll know our tradition
can draw up plays on his head if smart board goes out

What a terrible hire

:huh:How do you know that? Six games into next season, if we're averaging 21pts a game, then I may start to worry. I think we need to give this dude a chance before we start throwing stones or jumping off cliffs:mega_shok:.

How the hell does anybody presume to know whether its a good hire or bad before we see the product on the field? I mean how many on here heard of coach Bajakian before Butch brought him here?

Fully agree. For better or worse, UGA, UF, Bama, LSU, etc are the yardsticks against which UT is measured. To get back on top, we must not only have better players than those schools, we must have a HC and assistant coaches who are better than their HC and assistants. We must match or better the current top tier SEC schools in every phase of a football program in order to be one of them.

I cannot imagine for a moment that any of the schools mentioned above would give someone with DeBord's resume as second look, let alone hire him.

Someone mentioned that hiring an OC isn't the same as hiring a HC. True. But let's compare what Bama did a few years ago with what UT did. When they fired Mike Shula in 2006, they hired a coach who had won a NC at LSU and coached 2 years in the NFL. When Lane Kiffin left UT after 2009, UT hired as HC a mediocrity from Louisiana Tech. We all know how those hires panned out. If you are willing to settle for mediocrity, for 3rd rate coaching talent, that is what you will get.

Looking at his resume and recent work, DeBord is 3rd rate coaching talent. His main qualification is that he is an old crony of the HC. Can UT become a football powerhouse again when Butch Jones hires assistants on the basis of cronyism? No. I do not think so.

Oh yeah...Nick Saban's 2007 triumphant return! Don't remember Major Applewhite being a rock star OC hire...still isn't. And Kevin Steele as DC had just failed recently at Baylor. At least he went and hired proven home runs in Kirby Smart and Jim McElwain (you know?...the Fresno State OC?) to replace them. That went to hell in a hand basket now that you mention it.

You're right, Nuttin. Butch Jones is a half-wit. Knows nothing about football, coaching personnel, staffing, players, recruiting, strategy; nothing. Oh wait... back-to-back top5 recruiting classes, flipping a long-commited 5-star lineman at the last possible shot, and the list continues.... You can't possibly be that out of touch. Go back to sleep.

And he lost to candy at home n to the worst fla team in 30 yrs twice thinking 10pts would win.. So great in rec n below avg n sec to this point

This poster gets it..

IS the caretaker also responsible for digging holes?

Last edited:
Here is the only way I see this working.

1 dude is qb/position coach n co oc
2. Ol coach stays same
3 cbj takes over play calling on off n debord are his eyes from press box with some input

If this happens then we could be OK

Here is the only way I see this working.

1 dude is qb/position coach n co oc
2. Ol coach stays same
3 cbj takes over play calling on off n debord are his eyes from press box with some input

If this happens then we could be OK

No offense man but I really wish you would start posting in the form of actual words. It hurts my eyes to read your posts.

Reactions: 4 people
I'll be excited about this hire when I see Dobbs under center and not in the shotgun
99.99% of the playcalls.

tumblr_mohveugknj1qajc4eo1_250.gif

tumblr_nch4z4zxnV1sjav2eo1_250.gif

Last edited:
I remember when people weren't to thrilled with CBJ when he was hired... Now look at him. Give the man a chance before you turn into a neagvol lol:loco:

I remember when people weren't to thrilled with CBJ when he was hired... Now look at him. Give the man a chance before you turn into a neagvol lol:loco:

Then: We play pro style. This Jones fellow runs a spread. Peyton dropped back in a pocket.
Now: de Boring will have Astro under center and handing off. Good thing we will have a good D.
Brother😜

There's one glaring flaw in that comparison. Butch had the credentials for the job....a winning record. And coming off a successful season where he was. He had a RESUME that qualified him for the job.

THAT is what separates him from Kiffin and Dooley. They didn't have the credentials...the RESUME. So, when it comes to a coordinator hire, why wouldn't any coach want someone with a stellar resume?

Hamilton made excuses why Dooley and Kiffin's hiring was the right one, despite them having losing records as a HC. With DeBord, his experience doesn't commend him to an offense like this and his time away from work as a coordinator (8yrs) is pretty alarming. If he was a bright offensive mind, he would not have gone through such a lengthy employment drought.

VN Store

Back