Records of teams that you wanted their coach

Was pruitt really seen as an up and comer? Ive never heard his name mentioned with any other job opening ever, not even smaller schools.

I don't think Pruitt has the personal "polish" that a lot of schools look for as a pre-requisite for a head coach. They want the head coach to be a salesman to market products (insurance, hot dogs, popcorn, etc.) in addition to coaching the team. If the coach is quick witted like Spurrier, all the better. Jones was a salesman. I bet First Tennessee and Tennessee Farmers loved his "brick by brick" baloney. Where did that get us?

Pruitt isn't and won't likely ever be a "pretty face" for the program. But, before we hired him he was certainly considered an elite position coach and an elite recruiter. I think we are seeing that, while he is inexperienced in the head coach position, he is also a no nonsense, old-school style football coach, which is something I like. My question is how long will it take for him to learn the new job. I like what I've seen so far.

Wait what? Leach won 3 games in year 3,
And he is a great coach, but Pruit has to win 8 in year 2 for you to feel confident.
Leach took over a team that had gone 9 wins and 40 loses in the previous 4 years under
Paul Wulff. Pruitt took over with a team that had 29 wins and 20 loses in the previous 4 years.

No , I want to call out the people who are in meltdown mode, ready to go get the next coach because we only improved by 1 game over last year in YEAR 1 .
So all you Mullen lovers .
4-8 miss st 2008
5-7 miss st 2009 Mullen Year 1
And don’t even suggest his situation was worse. There hasn’t been a circus sideshow equal to UT last year in Miss St history
Lol oh my, .....man

Missisippi st has had 2 10 win seasonsin the of their 114 year program. They have only had back to back winning seasons...97-2000, 91-92, 80-81, 39-47, 35-36, 10-11.... 20 seasons out of 103 seasons before Mullen got there. They won 29 games in the 8 seasons prior to his arrive and 8 of those were one seaon. In 9 seasons the had a 5-7 season and a 6-7 season...the rest were winning season.
In his first season he lost one game Auburn by 25, only lost to (7) LSU by 4, (25) GT by 11, (2) Florida by 10, then lost to alabama (3) and arkansas by fairly large margins. He also went on to beat in state rival (20) Ol Miss 41-27. (So ib other words, he didnt get boat races in his biggest game of the year and blame it on players quitting.)

So to put that into perspective, Mullen almost doubled the programs winning season total in 9 years as head coach. Was competitive in most games in season one.

Now how this relates to Pruitt. Ive shown stats in previous threads that show most coaches show the most improvement in year 2. Mullen went from 5-7 to 9-4 at state and from 4-7 to 9-3 at Florida.
We will revisit this thread ti see if Pruitt hits 9 wins next year.

Last edited:
I left Mullen off because he had a good year. Guess the post went over your head!
Not debating who is or would be the best
coach!
All listed had below average years,
People ready to fire Pruitt ! So I ask should all them others be fired or is it just a UT thing, because some are in denial and think we are loaded with talent.
My problem is with the Mehlenites who act like message board posters who weren’t onboard, affected that hire.

Reactions: volfannbama
Leach took over a team that had gone 9 wins and 40 loses in the previous 4 years under
Paul Wulff. Pruitt took over with a team that had 29 wins and 20 loses in the previous 4 years.
3,4 even 2 years before don’t mean sqat, UT may have been a 9 win team 2 years ago but lost nearly every key player and was a 4 win team last year , tougher conference, tougher schedule so what’s your point?

Was pruitt really seen as an up and comer? Ive never heard his name mentioned with any other job opening ever, not even smaller schools.

I think the assumption was that he was wanting to stay at Bamma a few more years but he was in the discussion. He is a young guy too. I also think he was less attractive because of his cornbread style, which is not appealing to a lot of programs but can get by in the South. Finally, the reputation he gained at GA for being pushy with the Admin probably also set some limits for those who care about AD politics. I think had he stayed at Bamma another season or two he would have been one of the top prospects anywhere.

Do a search and he was discussed by many as possible - though not the preferred. Frost was the hot girl.
Insider Mailing: Head Coaching Search Edition | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: volfannbama
Lol oh my, .....man

Missisippi st has had 2 19 win seasonsin the of their 114 year program. They have only had back to back winning seasons...97-2000, 91-92, 80-81, 39-47, 35-36, 10-11.... 20 seasons out of 103 seasons before Mullen got there. They won 29 games in the 8 seasons prior to his arrive and 8 of those were one seaon. In 9 seasons the had a 5-7 season and a 6-7 season...the rest were winning season.
In his first season he lost one game Auburn by 25, only lost to (7) LSU by 4, (25) GT by 11, (2) Florida by 10, then lost to alabama (3) and arkansas by fairly large margins. He also went on to beat in state rival (20) Ol Miss 41-27. (So ib other words, he didnt get boat races in his biggest game of the year and blame it on players quitting.)

So to put that into perspective, Mullen almost doubled the programs winning season total in 9 years as head coach. Was competitive in most games in season one.

Now how this relates to Pruitt. Ive shown stats in previous threads that show most coaches show the most improvement in year 2. Mullen went from 5-7 to 9-4 at state and from 4-7 to 9-3 at Florida.
If he hits 9 wins next year Bama better fire Nick and get Pruitt back there ASAP

Lol oh my, .....man

Missisippi st has had 2 19 win seasonsin the of their 114 year program. They have only had back to back winning seasons...97-2000, 91-92, 80-81, 39-47, 35-36, 10-11.... 20 seasons out of 103 seasons before Mullen got there. They won 29 games in the 8 seasons prior to his arrive and 8 of those were one seaon. In 9 seasons the had a 5-7 season and a 6-7 season...the rest were winning season.

Two 19 win seasons, that's pretty dam impressive. I didn't want cousin eddie, but this changed my mind.

3,4 even 2 years before don’t mean sqat, UT may have been a 9 win team 2 years ago but lost nearly every key player and was a 4 win team last year , tougher conference, tougher schedule so what’s your point?
The point is Leach is a experienced, proven coach of 18 years. Urban Meyer Came to this "tougher conference" and did pretty good. People are putting down other coaches to justify this year. And no we didnt lose every key player on the team.

I think the assumption was that he was wanting to stay at Bamma a few more years but he was in the discussion. He is a young guy too. I also think he was less attractive because of his cornbread style, which is not appealing to a lot of programs but can get by in the South. Finally, the reputation he gained at GA for being pushy with the Admin probably also set some limits for those who care about AD politics. I think had he stayed at Bamma another season or two he would have been one of the top prospects anywhere.

Do a search and he was discussed by many as possible - though not the preferred. Frost was the hot girl.
Insider Mailing: Head Coaching Search Edition | Rocky Top Insider
I meant for any other program besides ut? Ive never heard his name mentioned.

If he hits 9 wins next year Bama better fire Nick and get Pruitt back there ASAP
For the record, I dont think he gets to 9 either. I think he is a good football coach, that isnt ready to be a head coach. Most fans are blaming talent as the problem. The issue is we need a coach that can figure out how to win some games despite a talent deficiency, because you are not going to pull a team full of top talent until you start winning. So my guess is we will ride this no talent excuse for 2-3 more years and start looking for a new coach. An awful situation for tennessee to be in. Thats why many wanted a proven head coach.

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby
Not even close to the same thing
If Washington State (Leach) had beaten their instate rival, they would be playing in the PAC 12 CG
If Washington (Petersen) had lost to their instate rival, they would not be playing in the PAC 12 CG
Thus
If UT had beaten their instate rival, they would be going to a Bowl
If Vandy had lost to their instate rival, they would not be playing in a Bowl
Is that better?

If Washington State (Leach) had beaten their instate rival, they would be playing in the PAC 12 CG
If Washington (Petersen) had lost to their instate rival, they would not be playing in the PAC 12 CG
Thus
If UT had beaten their instate rival, they would be going to a Bowl
If Vandy had lost to their instate rival, they would not be playing in a Bowl
Is that better?
I get what you're saying, I just think there is a huge difference between playing for a shot at the Rose Bowl, vs playing for a shot at the Walk Ons Bistreaux and Bar Independence Bowl

Louisville 2-10 he got fired
Duke. 7-5
TCU. 6-6
Oklahoma St. 6-6
Purdue. 6-6
Plenty of you would of liked to had 1 or any of them . All been at their schools a few years or long term.
Nebraska 4-8
UCLA. 3-9
Ark. 2-10
1st year guys , many of your top choice a year ago!
So not better by much , some even worse than Pruit this year.
So what you say ? They all need to be fired?
If not please Explain. This is for all you Pruitt complainers , the rest more sensible members just ignore this thread.
I was for Mike Leach. He probably would've had a poor year at UT as well, but his future would be more certain. UT would be an offensive juggernaut under CML.

VN Store

Back