Recruiting Football Talk VII

I've been twice and won't do it again. We would drop baits straight down, hook up, and then crank up the fish as fast as possible so a shark wouldn't get it. Not a big deal until you crank up a 7ft shark and your arms feel dead. We also trolled some. That style of fishing just doesn't do anything for me. I absolutely love inshore saltwater fishing for reds, trout, and flounder...especially on my kayak. I think it's more rewarding and more relaxing than offshore fishing.
co-signed

Post pics please.

And what is average cost of DC rods?

I have many of his ICON rods…..pricing posted. Great bang for the buck. Dixie Custom Rods and Tackle

If you are not sure what rod you need based on the application, call Dewayn, he will be more than happy to guide you to the right rod.

He will wrap anyway you want it. I had some done in UT and some in camo. My cousin owns a ranch in Northen Ga and I did his in Camo with his Ranch Name on it. He absolutely loves it and he has bought more.

When fishing for Rainbow Trout what bait do you use?

I usually try using RedWorms then if that doesn't work go to using Corn.
Not a trout fisherman…sorry. My son loves it and fishes the Clinch a lot. I primarily fish the TVA chain and Dale Hollow in the winter. Largemouth and Smallies are my targets.

I have many of his ICON rods…..pricing posted. Great bang for the buck. Dixie Custom Rods and Tackle

If you are not sure what rod you need based on the application, call Dewayn, he will be more than happy to guide you to the right rod.

He will wrap anyway you want it. I had some done in UT and some in camo. My cousin owns a ranch in Northen Ga and I did his in Camo with his Ranch Name on it. He absolutely loves it and he has bought more.
Those are really good prices. I've got four custom rods I use for inshore saltwater fishing that were built by a guy in Texas (Outcast Rods...then changed to Wreck-It Rods...doesn't seem to be building now). All are white blanks, orange wraps, and a short butt end to make them easier to use sitting in a kayak. They balance perfectly with my Penn Spinfisher and Slammer 2500 reels. Those cost me $210 each...and that's pretty good for a custom rod. Dixie has that price beat. I might reach out to him. My 12 year old son is only two keeper reds away from getting a custom rod (his goal that I agreed to), so I need to find someone reasonable since he'll probably hit that goal next month.

Good season but the Preds will be kicking themselves with this series all off-season. The Preds had a lead entering the 3rd period in 4 out of the 6 games but only won 2 out of the 4. Game 4 was the ultimate dagger giving up those two goals in the last 2 minutes and then losing in overtime. Should be happy with their 2nd half of the season performance but just couldn't close out games when the pressure of the playoffs hit.

We will see what Trotz decides to do this offseason. He has some decisions to make.

Those are really good prices. I've got four custom rods I use for inshore saltwater fishing that were built by a guy in Texas (Outcast Rods...then changed to Wreck-It Rods...doesn't seem to be building now). All are white blanks, orange wraps, and a short butt end to make them easier to use sitting in a kayak. They balance perfectly with my Penn Spinfisher and Slammer 2500 reels. Those cost me $210 each...and that's pretty good for a custom rod. Dixie has that price beat. I might reach out to him. My 12 year old son is only two keeper reds away from getting a custom rod (his goal that I agreed to), so I need to find someone reasonable since he'll probably hit that goal next month.
Perfect….he may want that spinning rod listed on the front page. Call Dewayne and give him your particulars and he can do it!! He will set up a drop off spot in Knoxville (and surrounding counties). Will put your son’s name on it and will do a UT wrap. My son is 30 and cherishes is rod that Dewayne did for him several years ago.

You’re right…the pricing is a great value. Could be charging a lot more but that’s not his game. He has a passion for his work.

Hope it meets your needs!

I have used a bunch and have settled on Dixie Custom’s out of LaFollette. I know the owner and he is a good person who makes a quality rod. I give them as presents and everyone loves his work. Would love to try out the gentlemen in Cleveland. I do a lot of ledge fishing. I love C-rig on a ledge. WoLudwig like to see what he offers there. is there a website?
I'll put a vote in for Dixie Custom's.

Dad has bought a few Dixie custom rods and really loves them. He gave my sons one each for Christmas a few years ago. My oldest son's was wrapped in his high school colors and his football number is on it. The younger one wanted one in green and gold wrap. (He heard me say "green is for the money and gold is for the honeys" and that was like his motto through middle school. 🤣)

DeWayne put their names on them and a short message.... maybe a Bible verse dad picked out, I can't remember.

They are really cool looking rods but my dad didn't get me one. 😕

Last edited:
Good season but the Preds will be kicking themselves with this series all off-season. The Preds had a lead entering the 3rd period in 4 out of the 6 games but only won 2 out of the 4. Game 4 was the ultimate dagger giving up those two goals in the last 2 minutes and then losing in overtime. Should be happy with their 2nd half of the season performance but just couldn't close out games when the pressure of the playoffs hit.

We will see what Trotz decides to do this offseason. He has some decisions to make.
Agreed. Will be interesting to see if Trotz trades Soros (should imo) for young goal scorer. The offense didn’t attack in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

I've been twice and won't do it again. We would drop baits straight down, hook up, and then crank up the fish as fast as possible so a shark wouldn't get it. Not a big deal until you crank up a 7ft shark and your arms feel dead. We also trolled some. That style of fishing just doesn't do anything for me. I absolutely love inshore saltwater fishing for reds, trout, and flounder...especially on my kayak. I think it's more rewarding and more relaxing than offshore fishing.
EBE08653-88D8-4DD3-B664-1D063FCB7DD4.jpg
Went offshore fishing a couple of years ago, it was fun, just not something I'd enjoy every weekend.

Seriously, the more I think on this, the more I think someone needs to tweet DW. This is unacceptable. We are LAST in the SEC. LAST!! What the hell, people??? This is Tennessee. We should have a Waffle House in the UC!
Nope, not last. Both A&M and texas are further away from a Waffle House.

My favorite softball player, Pickens, comes in relief of Payton who gave up 3 runs I. 3 innings and pitches the last 4 giving up no hits, no walks and strikes out 5!

Guess she didn't like how she pitched the day before!
Pickens is the best, before she graduates Pickens will surpass Monica Abbott as best Tennessee softball pitcher in history.

I have used a bunch and have settled on Dixie Custom’s out of LaFollette. I know the owner and he is a good person who makes a quality rod. I give them as presents and everyone loves his work. Would love to try out the gentlemen in Cleveland. I do a lot of ledge fishing. I love C-rig on a ledge. WoLudwig like to see what he offers there. is there a website?
He dont have a web site but does have a facebook page Joe Burns Custom Rods. Also he always has a big display and booth set up at any fishing expo type shows in the east TN area. Or if you are ever in the Cleveland area Fish Tales bait and tackle store has a huge selection of Joes stuff.

VN Store

Back