Recruiting Football Talk VII

Are they investing a lot? They might be investing more than they used to. But recruiting isn't better than it used to be, we seem to always be second best in the portal, and it feels like nothing is about to be done with the weak link on the coaching staff.
Top five in recruiting $$$

Unfortunately, Tennessee in the current SEC format would not be considered a sure fire Top-5 job. (Alabama, Georgia, Texas) from there, recruiting/resources (Auburn, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee, A&M) We are at best fringe Top-5. So to exceed the 8-4/9-3 mark we will have to overachieve in relation to the schools we play. If all of the schools listed above, including us, are healthy. That is going to make 10-11 regular season wins difficult at almost every school. Everyone makes stupid money to be a Head Coach now, so just throwing $70million at a guy won’t cause any of the top names to blink. You have to have money, and then some.

*Not looking to fire CJH lol.
I think pate ranked sec jobs once this way, and based it on resources and in state talent more than results.

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Texas A&M
4. LSU
5. Florida
6. Auburn
7. Tennessee

Now, with Texas and Oklahoma.. I don’t know where they’d fit in there but it’s surely ahead of us.

It’s idiotic to say we are what our record is. Our record is indicative of our bad hires. Not what our program is or should be. I guess Texas was a bad program and should have stayed that way for a bad run a few years ago. No, they said we are better than this and spent the money to be good again.

They’ve had a good year. They won’t do this every year. They might go 8-4 next year.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
I’m glad you are not apart of our administrative and have these loser thoughts. This University spends top ten on football between coaches, recruiting, facilities, etc. and expects to compete for titles now.

We are not a bad program because we had a bad decade plus. It was a poorly run company essentially and we made the right CEO hire to right the ship and get us back to glory.

I hope you never run a company and have a few bad years and say well, this is what we are now. Let’s keep up the losses and accept mediocrity. We can’t work harder or expect better results because we don’t want to change .
The sad thing is, I'm convinced that you don't understand just how wrong you are. It's malpractice for any leadership to ignore the current state of the company, and the current state of the market. Any leadership that would look at 20 year old numbers, while ignoring reality, should be canned immediately. It's fine to look at the past and ask, "What's been wrong, and what's the realistic plan to surpassing that?"

But to say, "By God, we're GameStop. We were the most successful game rental store in the world...! We'll have the same numbers next year, or else e'rbody's fired!"

Yah. You go for it, friend.

I'm not really a Women's Basketball Fan so I'm not going down that road, TN might be the best school in the country if you combine the 4 other main sports: Football, Men's Basketball, Baseball, and Softball.
Yep. Everything School. They've invested in it. WBB should be up there, too, but it's a mess. UT dug the hole and will have to dig out.

UT is allocating resources at a "win now" level. Football should not take a step back next year-- not with the resources invested in this program. The expectation is to compete for championships, and that is the goal every year. Sooner or later, investment and results will have to sync. I'd go with sooner.
We cannot truthfully expect to compete for championships if we do not have the talent. Simple as that...As of today, we have not shown that we are allocating resources to go get the talent that will allow us to close the gap and actually compete against the top tier programs for said championships. Many of us are not seeing this "win now" level of allocation or movement towards getting the talent/staff to get to the championship level.

Maybe after today we will start to see this, but as of this morning, I for one, have not... We have seen our defense struggle in areas, yet it sounds like we are fine with keeping the current formula of coaching in place and have pushed out or asked 6 kids in the struggling position group to leave. It will be interesting to see what happens next in that area.

If this is the true expectation and not a sound bite, then we should be seeing some serious movement and changes in the coming weeks. Winning 8-9 games and a bowl each season is not competing for championships in my eyes. This will only solidify the top tier programs and make it harder to pull in the elite talent.

giphy.gif

The sad thing is, I'm convinced that you don't understand just how wrong you are. It's malpractice for any leadership to ignore the current state of the company, and the current state of the market. Any leadership that would look at 20 year old numbers, while ignoring reality, should be canned immediately. It's fine to look at the past and ask, "What's been wrong, and what's the realistic plan to surpassing that?"

But to say, "By God, we're GameStop. We were the most successful game rental store in the world...! We'll have the same numbers next year, or else e'rbody's fired!"

Yah. You go for it, friend.
Dude I’m trying to ignore you. Let’s just stop because it is futile. So please stop commenting you’re crazy a** comments. Thanks

Need to at minimum make the playoffs next year.
I'd settle for finishing Top 5-6 in the conference in 2024. I think you'll have to be Top 3, maybe 4th in the conference to make the playoffs.

Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Ole Miss should be better than Tennessee. Our outside chance is finishing above Ole Miss. If we can finish ahead of Oklahoma, Mizzou, and LSU we should be happy with that.

We're starting a QB for the first time while losing our leading rusher, best linebacker, and best DB. There's bound to be growing pains.

Then all "win now" levels and goals are not the same. UT is paying marquee coaches Top 10 salaries, slightly below Bama and UGA and more than some playoff teams. UT's football recruiting budget is Top 5. UGA and Bama outspend UT but not by much. I'm sure UT feels it is paying for good decision making-- and expects to get it, along with results.
Yet we are trending to end up quite a bit outside the top 10 in recruiting classes this season and only middle of the pack in the SEC recruiting.

I think pate ranked sec jobs once this way, and based it on resources and in state talent more than results.

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Texas A&M
4. LSU
5. Florida
6. Auburn
7. Tennessee

Now, with Texas and Oklahoma.. I don’t know where they’d fit in there but it’s surely ahead of us.
It’s dumb to me to rank teams and then say that’s where they should be because of these rankings. IMO.

Any team on this list has the resources, $$$, etc. to be national title contenders any year.

It’s dumb to me to rank teams and then say that’s where they should be because of these rankings. IMO.

Any team on this list has the resources, $$$, etc. to be national title contenders any year.
Yeah, otherwise A&M wouldn’t be 3rd. They’ve done nothing on the field to show that. But they do have a lot of advantages regardless. Like I said, money can’t buy everything.

VN Store

Back