Recruiting Football Talk VII

I agree completely; but, Weez...you've been around long enough to be caught off guard by the swift kick to the nuts.

However, I do believe the times, they are a'changin. I believe this may truly be the Time Of The Vols. This is a huge moment...in history, imo. And, whenever we're on the other side of this, victorious, just think about the swagger we can enter high schools and living rooms with...
If it happens, I'll react. But you're inviting more trouble than you say I do when talking about recruiting.

Speaking of recruiting, when's our next commit? Staff needs to get on the ball. :)

What do donors receive? I never joined n past b/c I spend so much $$$ on tickets, weekend costs to and from games etc. Plus two kids in college (one at UT and one @ MS State). But I may join if it’s minimal.
Primarily - helping good kids achieve their dreams. Secondarily - say at the Checkerboard ($25/mo) level, you get access to events with players and fellow members, tailgates, etc. You get a Vol Cub tee and decals. You get access to all sorts of gear and autographed items. most of which are hard to come by through other sources. As you give at higher levels there are more benefits. But you can help even if only $5/month.

While I do partly agree with your point, Quinn went to a Super Bowl (and should have won)...and with the Falcons. Even good coaches in the NFL only have so many years with one team. He's a heck of a football coach IMO.
Has to have a great OC. If not, he’s not the Super Bowl coach but the coach he was after losing Kyle Shannahan

Reactions: Midas
Has to have a great OC. If not, he’s not the Super Bowl coach but the coach he was after losing Kyle Shannahan
Falcons should have promoted Shanahan and fired Quinn after that game. Shanahan’s the reason they made it to the SB even if his playcalling was dumb at the end of the game. Quinn should have forced him to be more conservative. Both that and him letting LaFleur and McDaniels leave to hire Sark showed he wasn’t a good coach. They could have kept the offense rolling like it was if they kept those guys.

I'm the one who said it probably wouldn't make it to court.

But if it did and the case depended on spyre saying "we hired Nico for his nfl potential, not because of UT," any sane person would roll their eyes because they'd have never contracted with him if he went to Bama.
He hadn't signed anywhere when he contracted with Spyre. That's the point, he could've signed anywhere and Spyre would've had to find a way to weasel out of the contract after the fact or just eat the bad deal. It was a risk they were willing to take. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, those are the facts. I'm sure there were extremely high hopes he would come to Tennessee, but he wasn't contracted on condition that he attend any university.

I understand that, and very much agree. Take another example then, that doesn't include trying to avoid a buyout.

Take any of the MANY other examples of teams getting bowl bans and scholarship reductions throughout the years. Take 1993 Auburn...they were undefeated, could've played for National Title; but they were on probation, bowl ban. If the NCAA is so toothless, why didn't Auburn tell them to shove it?
That’s back when the NCAA had vast amounts of power. It doesn’t now. Unless the NCAA has the equivalent of the shooter on the grassy knoll, they are dead in the water.

Reactions: Volunteer821
He hadn't signed anywhere when he contracted with Spyre. That's the point, he could've signed anywhere and Spyre would've had to find a way to weasel out of the contract after the fact or just eat the bad deal. It was a risk they were willing to take. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, those are the facts. I'm sure there were extremely high hopes he would come to Tennessee, but he wasn't contracted on condition that he attend any university.
I think he was contracted to be available in the area which would pretty much mean it was Tennessee or busy. At least that was what was reported at the time…. I still think it’s BS though.

Selective enforcement on the issue of NIL would cause Congress to strip the NCAA of any protections, IMO. I understand your "what if", I just don't see any way they can get away with it, because if they take us down, they have to do the same to every major university with a collective, which is just about all of them. And that won't fly.
Especially since Spyre was a trailblazer and most collectives are modeled after them.

VN Store

Back